“hotel exellent staff fantastic pity about nightclub”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #91 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Perth, United Kingdom
“hotel exellent staff fantastic pity about nightclub”
Reviewed March 30, 2011

We were looking forward to a one night stay at this 5 star hotel. On arrivel we were not disappointed, the staff were very helpful and friendly, we were delighted when we were informed that our room had been upgraded. The room,No 303, was beautiful, clean and tidy, the start of our lovely night. Dinner was excellent,.service second to none.On retiring to bed our nightmare started little did we know that the upgrade included all night entry to the adjacent night club. We were awakened by the room vibrating to the beat of the music. This continued till 04.00 am in the morning after which we endured the noise of revellers leaving the club which lasted till 05.00 am. We had intended to use the spa facilities in the morning but were unable to as we slept till 09.30 and had to go to breakfast as checkout was 11.00 am. On complaining at checkout we got the distinct impression the the staff were aware of the problem of noise from the nightclub on a Wednesday,Friday and Saturday night at that side of the hotel. the hotel is a great experience but I would recommend that on a Wednesday,Friday and Saturday night you do not book a room that looks onto Waverley Station

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.

I am pleased to hear that your room met with your expectations and you enjoyed a meal in our North Bridge Brasserie. I have passed your kind compliments onto my Food Services Manager, Jonathon Cowan.
As the Scotsman is a City Centre hotel we are, unfortunately subject to the noise pollution of a busy Capital City. Throughout the rooms and public areas of the hotel we have made every effort; such as double glazing to try and ensure our guests are not disturbed during their stay.
With regards to your comments about the disturbance on Saturday evening; I have spoken to my Night Manager, Marek Sikora who informs me that the noise levels on this particular evening were of an unusually high level and continued for much longer than expected. I am already in discussions with the Manager of City Nightclub regarding this; we have previously spoken about this as our guest’s comfort is of the utmost importance to us and I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the disturbance you were subject to.

Should you decide to visit Edinburgh and The Scotsman in the future, please contact me directly or my Administrator, Claire Thomas to allow us to assist you with your reservation and we will ensure you receive a quiet room to enjoy your stay with us.

I look forward to possibly welcoming you back to the Scotsman.

Thomas Graham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Korean first
edinburgh
Reviewed March 28, 2011

The best hotel I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. From the moment I checked in, to the moment I checked out I found this to be an excellent hotel to stay and the friendly,efficient, and knowledgeable staff made this the perfect weekend for me to get away from the hussle and bussle of monday-friday work and to relax and have an extremely pleasurable experience.

The staff in their ability to make you feel very comfortable and welcome, are a credit to the hotel and for me it is that experience which makes you want to return again and I would like to thank them all for the service received during my stay.

The food in the restaraunt was exceptional and all credit to the chef and his team for producing what I would term as the best meal I have had.

The facilities on offer to relax and unwind also made this the perfect hotel to stay and spend a relaxing enjoyable time.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel as a great place to stay and to not only have a relaxing time but to be able to enjoy what is an amazing city.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times. We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
Our Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart launched his new Scottish menu in January, I’m pleased to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy this and would like to thank you for your kind compliments. I have personally passed these onto all of my Heads of Departments and their staff.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear that you will be recommending us to your friends and family is an added bonus.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2011

My partner treated me to a surprise trip to Edinburgh and it was everything I'd imagined and more. We ate in the hotels Brasserie on our first night and ended up eating there twice more before we left. The food was exceptional and the service was both professional and friendly. With staff like Jonathan and Sky you know you're in good hands!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for your very kind compliments; I have personally passed these onto Jonathon and Skai. Jonathon is our Food Services Manager in the Brasserie and has an immense amount of experience and knowledge and Skai joined us at the end of last year and is a real credit to Jonathon’s team.

Paul Hart, our Executive Head Chef is very proud of his all Scottish menu and I am pleased to see that you treated yourself to enjoy it more than once during your stay.

I hope that you will return to stay with us once again, perhaps on the change of season to sample Paul’s new menu?

I look forward to possibly welcoming you back to the Scotsman

Fremont, California
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I normally do not write reviews, but had such a wonderful experience at The Scotsman that I felt it necessary to write one. I traveled to Edinburgh for the first time as a solo traveler. Upon my arrival to The Scotsman the staff put me at ease and assisted my every need. The room was very spacious, over-looking the North Bridge and New Town. I particularly enjoyed the tea and Walker shortbread each morning. The hotel's location was perfect and walking distance to the Royal Mile. In fact, I was able to walk to all the major sites and only used a cab once for dinner across town.

A special shout out to the staff...they are the reason why I fell in love with The Scotsman and Edinburgh. After a day of sight-seeing I would be greeted by Ivor with such warmth and kindness that my solo trip did not seem so solo. In the evening I would enjoy a cocktail from my favorite mixologist Jordan. Be sure to ask Jordon to make you his signature drink and you'll find yourself lingering past closing time. And last but not least, the service at the resturant, North Bridge Brasserie, was impeccable.

I highly recommend this place and would stay here again and again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.

As you will be aware, normally avenues such as websites are utilized for the negative aspects; making your kind words appreciated that little bit more.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
Ivor has been with the Scotsman since we opened in 2001 and has a vast knowledge of the hotel as well as the city of Edinburgh. Jordan is a valued member of our bar staff and as you have experienced really has the know-how to treat our guest’s to an enjoyable evening and some truly different tasting experiences.
I have personally passed your comments on to Jordan and Ivor as well as my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe and my Food Services Manager, Jonathon Cowan.
It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s reviews and to hear such heart felt compliments and that you will be returning to stay with us again is an added bonus.
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed March 17, 2011

We decided to stay with our friends and family for the night before our Edinburgh wedding at the 5* Scotsman. It certainly didn't dissapoint - great service from the doorman to room service. We had made a group booking and were given the suite for the bride to be and bridesmaids. A great room with complimentary whisky! Lovely bath with nice products.

The Scotsman has a great location for exploring Scotlands captial so I would recommend this for a special occassion stay in the city, hence why we chose it for our pre-wedding night.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2011

It is always a pleasure to read our guest’s feedback and to know that we contributed to such a special occasion is an added bonus. Should you decide to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman please contact me directly or my Executive Administrator, Claire Thomas to allow us to assist you with your reservation.

London
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I travel to Edinburgh on a fortnightly basis and was looking forward to trying the Scotsman given its reputation. Check in in terms of speed and service were top-notch. The reception and public areas on the ground floor appeared in good condition. I had been granted an "Editor" room (tariff of £170/night room only!) so was expecting a great room. I was hugely disappointed to be shown to room 805 which couldn't have felt less warm, clean and more 'tired' if it tried to (a far cry from the lovely airy Editor room pictures in the gallery on the hotel's web site!). The drab brown curtains, smell of damp, worn blue carpet, 70s-style wooden cupboard doors, and a small double bed (2 twins semi-joined together) was not at all what I was expecting from a hotel with such a reputation. The bed creaked and the sheets and bed cover felt old and well used.

I contemplated complaining but was only staying two nights and regreattably am unlikely to stay again. Breakfast was reasonably good and I didn't get the time to sample the pool/spa. If you are looking for somewhere home from home, modern, clean and up to date then try the George, the Missoni or (my favourite) the Fraser Suites on St. Giles Street.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent stay at the Scotsman. I would like to take this opportunity firstly to apologise as well as responding to the points you have made.

I would like to thank you for your kind compliments about the speed and service you received at the time of check-in; I have personally passed this onto the team and my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe.
With regards to the room that you viewed on the internet, the Scotsman hotel is housed in the building that was originally the home of the famous Scotsman newspaper. We are very proud of the fact that during the conversion to the hotel as it is today a lot of the traditional and quirky rooms were kept as close to their original layout as possible. As no 2 rooms are the same I’m sure you can appreciate that we are unable to show all 69 of our rooms and suites on the internet.
I would like to offer my apologies that room 805 did not meet with your expectations; all of our rooms are decorated in keeping with the originality and traditional air of the hotel. My Head Housekeeper, Natasha Meikle has a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule in place; Natasha has been to check this room to ensure that our usual high standard of cleanliness was delivered as well as to check the “damp” smell you have commented on, I would like to confirm that we have found no evidence of this smell at all throughout the room.

I would like to respectfully correct you on the bed size; in this room you are correct that the double bed is 2 twin beds fully joined together this then offers our guest’s the same size bed as a King so I am a little confused by your comment about a “small double bed;” although I do appreciate that some of our guest’s would prefer an actual King size bed as opposed to the connected twins.

I am sorry that your room was not set at a heating level comfortable to you; I have spoken to my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara about this. He has thoroughly checked that the heating system in the room is operating as it should be with localised thermostatic controls. We are however, very aware of the fact that we should have had this room prepared better for your arrival.

As you have said you did not afford us the opportunity of putting any of these problems right for you at the time of your stay. I can assure you, had we known about your upset then our staff would have made every attempt to ensure we rectified these problems for you.

Should you decide to return to Edinburgh and the Scotsman to go someway to redeeming our good name I would ask that you contact me directly or my Administrator, Claire Thomas to allow us to assist you with your reservation.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Having visited Edinburgh every year for the past few years we have stayed in many 4/5 star hotels but the Scotsman Hotel has been the best yet!
The hotel it's self is a grand property with plenty of charicter and great attention to detail has gone into all it's fixtures and fittings.
The staff are very polite, always willing to help you and assist you with any quires you may have. Nothing seemed to be a problem for them!
The room we stayed in was very spacios with large a en-suite which had a quality feel.
The only one negative we had was the curtains in the room could have done with a clean.
I must mention the pool and jacuzzi as they were great!
All in all this hotel is a 5 star hotel and you know it when you arrive!
Can not wait to return!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2011

The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites.
With regards to your comments about the curtains in your room, my Head Housekeeper, Natasha Meikle has a regular cleaning schedule in place for all of our upholstery however I would like to apologise that they did not meet with your expectations and Natasha has been to check this room to ensure no repairs are required.
It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us again is an added bonus.