“A gem of a hotel, in a fantastic location!”
Review of The Scotsman Hotel

The Scotsman Hotel
Ranked #88 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“A gem of a hotel, in a fantastic location!”
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Having visited Edinburgh every year for the past few years we have stayed in many 4/5 star hotels but the Scotsman Hotel has been the best yet!
The hotel it's self is a grand property with plenty of charicter and great attention to detail has gone into all it's fixtures and fittings.
The staff are very polite, always willing to help you and assist you with any quires you may have. Nothing seemed to be a problem for them!
The room we stayed in was very spacios with large a en-suite which had a quality feel.
The only one negative we had was the curtains in the room could have done with a clean.
I must mention the pool and jacuzzi as they were great!
All in all this hotel is a 5 star hotel and you know it when you arrive!
Can not wait to return!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
TheScotsmanEdinburgh, General Manager at The Scotsman Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.

The Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper and we are very proud that when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept. We believe this adds to the originality and quality of our rooms and suites.
We like to deliver a truly 5 star “Scotsman” experience to our guests; our staff always endeavouring to be professional, friendly and offer the very best service at all times, I am pleased to see that you experienced all of these throughout your stay.
With regards to your comments about the curtains in your room, my Head Housekeeper, Natasha Meikle has a regular cleaning schedule in place for all of our upholstery however I would like to apologise that they did not meet with your expectations and Natasha has been to check this room to ensure no repairs are required.
It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us again is an added bonus.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future
Thomas Graham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
Scotland
Reviewed March 12, 2011

This review is purely for the SPA - I can't comment on the hotel itself.
I had a Body Detox package @ £50 - offer on until end of March 2011. My therapist was so professional & sensitive. I was truly impressed. I was treated with dignity & respect @ at all times. The treatment was wonderful. Afterwards I was taken to the Relaxation room which I can only describe as total bliss. I didn't want to leave! I then used the Spa facilities which were all excellent & in good order. A smoothie offered @ the end of my time there was a nice touch before reluctantly going home. I can highly recommend the Spa to anyone looking for an afternoon or day of total bliss. I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Spa and Health Club.

We are very proud of the fact that each and every one of our staff knows the importance of making our guests feel special and I am pleased to see that you experienced the team’s professionalism and friendliness.
I have passed your kind compliments on to my Spa Manager, Rachel Mashford and my Leisure Manager, Chris Allan. Both Chris and Rachel work hard with their teams to ensure our guests are treated to a relaxing and thoroughly rejuvenating time.
It is always a pleasure to receive our guest’s feedback and to hear that you will be returning to the Spa and Health Club for another day of “total bliss” is an added bonus. I hope that perhaps on your next visit you will have the opportunity of using the Scotsman hotel itself.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Very nice grand old hotel in edinburgh's city centre .... my booking got messed up between my agent and hotel but the receptionist upgraded me to a suite as a result. Good Job !!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent visit to the Scotsman Hotel.
I would like to apologise that there was a misunderstanding with your reservation but I am pleased to hear that our reception team were able to offer you an upgrade to one of our sumptuous suites.
As you have mentioned we hold an enviable position in-between Edinburgh’s old and new towns on North Bridge and as the original building of the Scotsman Newspaper we are proud to be, what we would consider, one of the grandest buildings in Edinburgh.
I hope that, should you decide to return to Edinburgh you will choose to stay with us again and I look forward to possibly welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2011

When in Edinburgh we normally stay at Balmoral or Raddison but thought we would try The Scotsman for a change for my birthday weekend. Accommodation was nice although the room was unbearably hot and climate control didn't seem to work(we stayed in room 707) and the carpet was dirty with a horrible smell. Lock broke in the door also. Corridors and hotel in general could be freshened up . Staff were very friendly, professional and very helpful. Breakfast was horrific and had obviously been lying in a hot tray for ages, eggs were like rubber and sausage and potato scone completely dried out - awful! We did mention this to reception and as we hadn't touched breakfast it was refunded and we asked that the next day's breakfast not be charged as we would eat elsewhere. On checking out the next day there was a mistake in the refund but it was quickly rectified.

Have to say that we were disappointed overall and probably won't be back unless we got an extremely good deal on a room.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

I am sorry that your room was not set at a heating level comfortable to you; I have spoken to my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara about this. He has thoroughly checked that the heating system in the room is operating as it should be with localised thermostatic controls. We are however, very aware of the fact that we should have had this room prepared better for your arrival.
With regards to your comments about the carpet in the room, my Head Housekeeper, Natasha Meikle has a thorough cleaning and maintenance schedule in place ensuring that all carpets and upholstery are kept to a high standard. Natasha has been to inspect the carpet in room 707 and has not been able to find any evidence of the smell that you mentioned.
You have spoken about the lock in the door of your room being broken, I have checked with Paul and I understand that this was repaired shortly after you reported it. We take our guests security very seriously and will always ensure repairs are made as soon as possible; I would like to apologise that this had not been done before you were allocated the room.
I am a little confused by your comment about our breakfast items “lying in a hot tray” as all of our cooked items are freshly cooked to order by our Chefs and served straight away to the table; the buffet items are all cold items that are replenished on a regular basis. I am sorry your breakfast did not meet with your expectations and I am pleased to see that our reception team refunded this amount for you.
To go someway to redeeming our good name we would like to ask you to consider returning to the Scotsman should you decide to visit Edinburgh in the future. Please contact me directly or my Executive Administrator, Claire Thomas to allow us to assist you with your reservation.
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed March 3, 2011

I stayed over in the Scotsman with my girlfriend, midweek in February in The Publisher Suite and was blown away by everything this hotel had to offer.
We were greeted immediately at the door and our bags taken from us as we went to reception. We were then taken to our room and informed of some of the history behind the hotel.
Our suite was excellent and the staff couldnt have done more for us.
Would definitely go back and would/will recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to stay right in the city centre of edinburgh.
Only slight problem is that the hotel doesnt have its own car park so there is a 5-10 minute walk to and from the closest car park.
Ps. I wouldnt have been too happy to let my gf walk alone to and from the car park. Its down at the very end of a pretty poorly lit road.
So, get the train and take a load off. :-)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
It is great to hear that you had the opportunity of enjoying one of our sumptuous Publisher suites and that we “blew you away” with our standards.
Our Concierge team pride themselves on their knowledge of the hotel and Edinburgh and we always attempt to make our guest’s stay a real home-from-home experience. I have passed your kind compliments onto the team as well as my Front of House Manager, Andrew Boe.
As a city centre hotel and one that was converted from the original Scotsman Publications building we were unable to offer the space for a car park at the time of renovation to the hotel we are today. The closest car park though is only a 2 minute walk away at Waverley station and we offer a 30% discount to all of our guest’s.
It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guest’s and to hear that you will be returning to stay with us is an added bonus.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Scotsman Hotel in the future
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Good stuff first - excellent location, stunning external building, wonderful pool/sauna etc, 5-star customer service. But, this is not a complete 5-star experience - interior (except reception area and spa) could really benefit from modernisation. Our room (607) was too hot all day and night, the carpet looked filthy and very dated, walls and skirtings were scuffed and dirty, decor generally was a total mish-mash and I was so disappointed on arrival. There are much better 3 and 4-star hotels in Edinburgh. Will not stay here again, even if at another discounted rate.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
With regards to your comments about the décor, carpets and walls I would like to apologise that the room you were allocated did not meet your expectations. My Head Housekeeper, Natasha Meikle and my Maintenance Manager, Paul McNamara have a full painting, decorating and maintenance schedule in place to ensure all of our décor and upholstery are kept at the high standard we are known for. I understand that our traditional décor may not be to everyone’s tastes however I can’t agree that the phrase “filthy and very dated” is a fair opinion.
As the Scotsman hotel was originally home to the famous Scotsman newspaper when the renovation took place to become the hotel it is today, a lot of the traditional features were kept throughout the public areas as well as our rooms and suites; we believe this adds to our originality and individual style.

I would like to thank you for your compliments about our staff, location and Health Club and I am pleased that you enjoyed these experiences. I am sorry to hear that you will not be returning to stay with us as I would like the opportunity to redeem our good name and treat you to the 5 star service we are proud to deliver.

Should you change your mind and decide to visit Edinburgh and the Scotsman again in the future please contact me directly to allow me to assist you with your reservation.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my partner for two nights in february. I arrived early for check in and was told by the friendly receptionist this was not a problem and that our edditor room was ready.My bags were then taken down the beautifull marble staircase to room 303 a fantastic large room with nice views. We had a nice dinner in the hotel restaurant and settled in for a good nights sleep i awoke at 0700 and started to get ready for breakfast when i was disturbed by a unbearable noise that can only be discribed as a train traveling overhead so decided to quickly get ready and go for breakfast. The full scottish breakfast was of a good quality and set us up for a nice morning discovering edinburgh. We had lunch in the hotel bar on two occasions and were supprised at the bad service we recieved whilst the food was good nobody seemed to want to take the order and on one occasion we were the only people there and all the staff kept walking past looking the other way when i eventualy managed to get somebody to come over i asked them for the lunch menu they said yes no problem but never returned. overall i would return to the scotsman but i doubt if i would ever go for lunch there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
I am pleased to see that you had the opportunity to enjoy one of our spacious Editor rooms and the fantastic views across the city of Edinburgh. As the Scotsman is a City Centre hotel we are, unfortunately subject to the noise pollution of a busy Capital City. Throughout the rooms and public areas of the hotel we have made every effort; such as double glazing to try and ensure our guests are not disturbed during their stay.
I would like to thank you for your kind compliments about our breakfast and I have passed these on to my Executive Head Chef, Paul Hart. I am very sorry though that the lunch service did not meet with your expectations and I have spoken to my Food Services Manager, Jonathon Cowan regarding this.
Jonathon holds regular training sessions with his restaurant team and your comments have already been addressed as part of this. We always attempt to treat our guest’s to a 5 star experience throughout the duration of their stay and it is clear that during this lunch service we fell far below this standard and I would like to apologise for this.
It is a pleasure to hear that you will be returning to the Scotsman and I would ask that you contact me or my Executive Administrator, Claire Thomas to allow us to assist you with your reservation.
I look forward to possibly welcoming you back to the Scotsman in the future