“Family stay with stunning views”

Best Western Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel
Ranked #58 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Durham
“Family stay with stunning views”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 small children and stayed on 4th August. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by very friendly staff, and a helpful gentleman to carry our case to our room 232.
Claire is especially a lovely woman, very friendly, helpful, and nothing was too much for her, helping the children pick names for their newly purchased zoo animals! She even came to look for me when I left a bag behind. Such a friendly service can just make things perfect! Thank you!
The rooms are a little dated, but clean which is what matters, and even though we had a family room with 3 extra single beds we had ample room to relax. The evening meal was wonderful! All fresh, and homemade, and deserts were amazing too. Staff also very friendly in restaurant. I wish I could say the same about breakfast. It was nice, don't get me wrong, I just think extra staff are needed to keep an eye on the buffet area! No plates/dishes left, had to ask. Shortage on foods on the hot plates. Not very clear to tell how to get milk. And the toaster was a bit unpredictable. I do however prefer the self service option, as with 3 children it was better for them to pick cereal, then go back for toast or yogurt etc.
Overall we enjoyed our stay here, and think it was very good value for money for a family of 5. Beautiful setting and views in a traditional hotel. Would definitely stay again.
A little spruce up of curtains and bedding would make a huge difference, and a bit more water coming out of the taps would be good too, otherwise no complaints.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cazamonica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Turkish first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The hotel is situated on a hilly road which the name states Braid Hills hotel.
We made a mistake while booking and booked a twin room instead of booking a double room as i was traveling with my wife. When we eneterd the room we realised two beds. We requested at the reception and there then there was Claire...without any fuss she told us to pack our stuff and told us to be ready to get upgraded to a double room. She was very apt and very good at her job. We got our new room and it was fantastic, the view was unbeatable, it was very very spacious and much better than our earlier room. There is a bus stop right down the stairs near hotel, very convenient to go anywhere in edinburgh such as princess street or castle.
The hotel also has a very good restraunt where they served delicious food with great service and the serving staff is one of the best, I would name one staff member here called Natasha. She was very attentive and very concernd about the guest just being there. The hotel doesnt have a lift but they have some heavy duty guys who lifted our very very heavy luggage in both hands and took us to the room in one breath. Very impressive.
We stayed there for three nights, our first night at the hotel wasnt very good as the room was right above the restraunt and there was some party going on and it was very noisey till late night, but rest of the stay after getting an upgrade we have no complaints at all.

Room Tip: Go for higher room and make sure its double, the twin room are just too tiny.
1 Thank Nirav G
Flintshire
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The hotel's small car park was limited for space when I stayed. So I had to park on the busy main road (hill) outside and walk across the road and up the hotel's short, steep driveway, carrying my luggage. The hotel is traditional in appearance, clean and smart, and the staff are friendly. My room was situated on the 2nd floor (that's 3rd floor to Americans) and, as there isn't a lift in this hotel, I walked up the stairs. Fortunately, a very pleasant member of staff carried my luggage for me. Those who have a bit of difficulty walking up and down stairs, be warned, as there are more steps (two at a time) at intervals along the corridors. My room was small, but very comfortable. When leaving, I carried my own luggage down the stairs - oh, I did wish they had a lift in operation at the time! The hotel dining room was large and open, with tables lining the wide windows, so as to take advantage of the very pleasant surrounding views. The breakfast was average fayre and certainly nothing special, and staff appeared to be a little slow in removing used dishes from tables between courses. Would I stay here again? Sadly, no. In addition to the above, the hotel is just a little too far away from the centre for my liking.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stopped overnight 26th July 2013. There had been a slight issue over accessibility (there is no lift at this hotel) which they had contacted me about immediately and we had discussed best options. As a result we were give a room just one flight of stairs up and in response to my request for a view, the room was located at the front of the hotel.
There was a sea mist after rain on the evening of our arrival so it was only the next morning that the full view was revealed the next morning ! A full 180 degrees from Authurs Seat, past the Castle and up the Firth of Forth - there was Edinburgh before us - the reason I had picked the Hotel in the first place !
Likes;
--------
the room size, it is a Victorian building so not modern but space very well used.
staff all very polite and helpfull
bar staff very accomodating and the fresh strawberry Daquari was like nectar !
Dinner was a very nice meal with good service.
Breakfast is buffett style and once you understand the layout and what is available, was good.
the view of course but that is down to location !

Dislikes;
-----------
the bed !! the mattress was reasonable but there was a very firm bed base which made the bed harder than expected !
pillows were very flat, no choice of 'firm' and 'soft' as is generally available in most hotels now - not what I would normally expect of a Best Western hotel.

Overall, would I stay here again ? yes I would because it was easy to access from A1 and useful transit stop while travelling further north. It was easy to get to the Forth Bridge the next morning and be on our way.

Cockburnspath, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

our first stay at a best western hotel and we where impressed with the level of the service and they where very helpful giving us early access to our room , our room was one of the higher specifcationed rooms that they offer and we found it large,clean and the mattress was on par with the marriot hotel ones. the price of drinks was very reasonable and they had a selection of vodka which is always a plus for me.
we had a evening meal in the hotel and we found each course enjoyable and reasonable priced, breakfasts at the hotel where self service and they had a large range on offer.only slight downfall is the quantity of car parking spaces.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark R
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

cheap and cheerful, friendly staff from reception to the restaurant. Room was a little small but for the price you cant complain. Room service is swift and food was always hot, bigger potions wouldnt go a miss.

1 Thank Damian R
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Edinburgh has so many great places to stay, some are much more centrally located than the Braid Hills, yet the Braid Hills was an excellent place for us.
The staff and service were fine.
The dinner was first class.
What was best for us, we reserved a room with a view. Our view - All of Edinburgh. As it was summer, at 10 pm we could see all of the city with the castle most prominent. When the lights came on the castle as the sun finally set, we could see the whole city by night.
This was our last night in Scotland, so the Blair Hills was convenient to the airport.
Lovely place to stay, room was comfortable and staff accommodated our needs.

Room Tip: With a view, and what a view.
1 Thank JohnDukrk