We spent a night here for my wife’s birthday. The hotel is part of the ‘hand picked’ chain and is sited in it own grounds being split into two, the hotel, and the spa. The hotel is a classic Victorian building with lots of wood panelling, impressive staircases, winding corridors and rooms that are all different and a little rustic . We had a good sized room with views over the grounds, large screen TV and a fireplace, there’s a mini bar that only contains water and a small carton of real milk (there’s room for your own wine), tea and coffee plus room service. I liked the fact that the bedroom sash window wouldn’t quite shut properly – shows it to be a genuine old lady of a building.
There is also a separate new block attached to the old hotel which in contrast is very modern where the rooms all have balconies. Woods surround most of the building with manicured lawns where you can take a pleasant stroll .
The hotel facilities include a bar with brassiere attached which is also used for breakfast. The prices here were reasonable and the food was good. There is also an a’la carte restaurant where the prices are a little scary. Scattered around the hotel are meeting rooms a ballroom and a sitting room, there’s tables and chairs on a veranda if the weather is good. Breakfast was very good with a wide choice and plenty of it.
Next door is the spa, this is a separate ultra modern building (lots of glass and steel frames) where you have to walk from the main hotel – it’s only a couple of minutes around the corner but wouldn’t fancy it in the wind and rain.
The spa is quite impressive, large pool, sauna, steam room, bubbly pool and beds around the pool to relax for a couple of hours, plus a fully equipped gym. It’s free for hotel guests and we were given robes, slippers and towels. There are also several treatment rooms offering a wide range of treats, a relaxing area and separate bar/café that serves snacks and drinks which you can use sat in your robe while using the facilities. The Spa is set below ground (don’t worry it’s not as bad as it sounds as that level is stepped back up to ground level so you don’t realise where you are), there is a large function room on the upper level.
Overall we were very impressed with our stay. All the staff both in the hotel and spa were friendly, helpful and attentive without being overbearing. The spa as mentioned earlier was wonderful and the hotel was just what we had hoped for – classic Scotland with good clean rooms.
Final few things, about 15 mins from the airport but we weren’t really bothered by any noise, likely to be 30 minutes from the city, looks to be free PC use in the reception, free wifi, lots of parking and the sun shone on a November weekend when we were there giving it a great Autumnal setting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Norton House Hotel & Spa, one of the finest country house hotels in Edinburgh and AA Hotel of the Year Scotland 2010. The perfect backdrop to any wedding in Scotland, this romantic venue will make your Scottish Wedding dream come true. Built in 1840, Norton House Hotel & Spa in Edinburgh, Scotland was always intended as a traditional country retreat, removed from the bustle of the city. This four star hotel in Scotland is just a 20-minute drive from Edinburgh city centre and a mere ten minutes away from Edinburgh Airport. Situated in 55 acres of grounds, Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh offers 83 bedrooms, including 36 luxury executive bedrooms, junior suites and the master suite. Norton House Hotel in Scotland offers the popular contemporary Brasserie. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Norton House Hotel And Spa Edinburgh
- Norton Hotel Edinburgh
- Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh Scotland