“Excellant”

Ranked #41 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Oxenhope, United Kingdom
“Excellant”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I was staying there on business and originally booked a classic double but due to the number of guests i got upgraded to the Kingdom Suite. It was stunning and it was a shame that I was there on my own. Beautiful views across the walled Garden to the Spa. Comfy Bed, Lovely bathroom with role top bath and TV. We had an evening meal in the Brasserie and the service was excellent and same again for breakfast in the morning. I only have on e complaint and that was the noise of the airport which was close by and this is why i have given this accommodation 4 stars

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Justine T
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to write a review following your recent stay on business. It was great to read you were upgraded to the kingdom suite and that you found it stunning, and I am delighted that you enjoyed dinner and breakfast in the Brasserie. We are very close in proximity to the airport; however negative feedback regarding aircraft noise is very rare. I do hope we can welcome you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa in the very near future.
Chris Monks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights in the Norton Hotel to attend a wedding.
It is a beautiful building about 25 min from the city centre. Perfect location for a spa weekend away.
Rooms are lovely and clean. Beds are very comfy. The balcony was missing a bit TLC.
Dinner was gorgeous. Absolutely tasty. The breakfast service wasn't the best. We waited a long time for our coffees to arrive and one morning my tea was cold. The variety of healthy breakfasts could be extended as well, but I guess British and Irish love it.
Overall, we probably wouldn't stay again as it was too far from the city and too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank TaMeJaBu
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review following your stay to attend a wedding. I am delighted you found your room lovely and clean and pleased that your bed was comfortable. I take on board your comment regarding the paintwork on the balcony and I am pleased to say that as part of our ongoing investment into the property, a contract has been approved to complete the redecoration of all external paintworks. As I write this response it is pleasing to say that this work has now begun. It is disappointing to read your feedback regarding service at breakfast and I apologise for your experiences. These comments will be discussed and reviewed by our Food and Beverage management team. Thank you again for your constructive feedback.
Paphos
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We spent 2 nights in Norton House, wish we could have stayed longer!
The rooms are very comfortable with views of the countryside all round.
The Spa is awesome.

We had a snack in the Brasserie on our arrival and it was delicious.
Also dinner in the Usher room was cosy, unrushed and delicious. Excellent service from the one sommelier/server......

Room Tip: It is a long walk via a circuitous route to rooms in the extension, and up one lift and down another...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us in May. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed yourself and I hope we will have the pleasure of inviting you back to Norton House Hotel and Spa in the future.
New York
Reviewed June 2, 2014

She was most helpful.
Breakfast time was busy and I wonder if pitchers of orange juice could be set out on the buffet instead of having to wait to place an order for that and toast and coffee with a very busy person.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I agree with you. Jennifer on reception is great and she will always do what she can to help with guest requests. I have spoken to her and thanked her for your kind words personally. I will pass your comments regarding Orange juice to our Food & Beverage Manager to review and discuss with his team. Thank you again for your feedback.
Townsend, Tennessee
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed here 13 years ago after our wedding in Ratho. We enjoyed it so much that we booked a whole party of Americans in here for their last night of a week's tour in Scotland. It was really rewarding to see the developments and improvements made since then.
Our American friends were enormously impressed with every aspect of their stay. The rooms were wonderful, the staff were particularly helpful, and the dinner in the restaurant was memorable, both for the quality of the food, wine and service and for the knowledge and superb guidance offered by our waiter. It was voted the best meal they had ever tasted. The hotel is also close to Edinburgh Airport and convenient for an early start.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andy J
Thank you for posting such a lovely review. I am delighted you and your party enjoyed your stay and it was great to meet you personally as well. It is fantastic that your week’s tour in Scotland finished with a meal in our award winning restaurant Ushers. The Usher’s team will take great encouragement from your kind feedback and I know they will be very proud to know that the food served. was the best your group had tasted. I do hope we can welcome you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa in the future, where hopefully next time we can reserve the Ratho Suite for you.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed here for one night as we were flying from Edinburgh airport the next day and it's nice and close. Since it was our honeymoon we were upgraded on arrival to a room with a balcony and a TV above the bathtub.
The spa was the best we've ever experienced! We especially loved the hydrotherapy pool - a perfect way to relax after the wedding!
The only reason that I'm not giving it a full 5 star rating is because we were quite disappointed when it came to dinner in the Brasserie restaurant. My tuna steak was extremely undercooked and like cold rubbery jelly in the middle. I don't like to complain but we had to send it back and after a while of waiting we had to ask them to take my husbands back as well because it was getting cold while we waited. They made up for it by giving us a couple of complementary glasses of bubbly. We were in the restaurant towards the end of the night and felt like we had to rush our desert as waiting staff were buzzing around setting tables for breakfast and crashing cutlery into drawers right next to where we were sitting.
Apart from this, the rest of the stay was lovely. We had a great sleep on the comfortable bed, ordered full Scottish breakfast to the room which was great and we loved the powerful rainfall shower.
Another bonus has to be the free airport parking. We left our keys at reception and our car was kept safe for 2.5 weeks. Great service!

1 Thank Ailsa W
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Norton House Hotel & Spa. I was pleased you liked your room and bathroom and that you found the Spa and breakfast excellent. I was disappointed that your experience at dinner did not live up to expectations and I apologise for this. I have spoken to both the Food and Beverage Manager and Chef who will address these comments with their teams. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback; it is with points such as these that we can continue to improve the hotels standards.
Scotland
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We took advantage of the Sunday Club offer for this hotel which was D/B&B with cream tea & spa facilities included.
A wee bit tricky to find, & confusing as there seem to be 2 entrances down very long driveways. Not obvious where reception is to begin with as there are lots of buildings & modern extensions to the property.
Received a nice welcome once we figured out where reception was, shown to our room with cases carried for us. Glad we had someone to show us as this place is a real labyrinth of corridors & lifts. We were even given given a map & shown signposting! When we eventually got to the room, it was very impressive. In the modern extension at the back of the building, the room itself was huge, with king size bed (2 beds put together, but very comfortable) & lovely seating area. Everything clean & colour coordinated, couldn't fault it. Fantastic bathroom with bath that had a plasma TV & hand held shower attachment, separate shower cubicle big enough for 2 with rainforest shower head, phone by the toilet, complimentary toiletries, towels etc. Tea/coffee making facilities with complimentary spring water, iron, ironing board, trouser press, towelling robes, TV, air con/ heating.
The room felt cold, with no instructions as to how to use the air con/heating. I eventually figured out there was a digital panel to be set in both the bathroom & the bedroom, both of which I had to set the clock & the temperature on, plus figure out how to switch on the heated towel rail. Once this was all sorted, everything was fine, but we did hear a few complaints from guests about being cold in their rooms, so instructions in the room re: heating etc are obviously much needed.
We had our cream tea in the lounge bar with choice of tea or coffee. Loose leaf teas of various flavours & a variety of coffee styles. Scones cream & jam came that were as light as a feather & absolutely delicious. Superb service provided by a lovely your man called Scott.
We used the spa facilities, which were very impressive & clean. Huge swimming pool with both ladders & shallow steps, but the steps do need a hand rail for the less mobile. I found it quite scary walking down them without my husband! Huge hydro/jacuzzi pool with handrail & mood lighting - fantastic! Sauna & steam room both way too hot for us. Good changing rooms & facilities, great wheelchair access & toilets, etc. Plenty of loungers by the pool, lovely seating area for lunch/afternoon tea/drinks. Would be ideal for a hen party spa day as there's plenty of room. Towels provided, but not slippers.
A 3 course dinner was served in the Brasserie. Modern & contemporary, but service seemed abrupt & rushed. Staff weren't able to spend time with us, so it felt a little clinical. Food was of very good quality. Starters of ham hock terrine was delicious, main of chicken a little dry, desserts of sorbet selection & lemon mouse were small. Alcohol has a HUGE markup as per norm in hotels these days. £5.00 for 125ml glass of rose. Ouch.
We slept well with no noise interruptions at all. Amazing considering there were 2 wedding receptions on the go that night! Bravo Norton House!
Breakfast was of vast quantity & choice, again served in the Brasserie. Good service. Choice of cooked & continental breakfast, lots of options, too many to list, plus haddock/kippers or pancakes/omelette could be ordered at no extra cost. Poached eggs had to be ordered also, but came quickly, & were perfect. Tea/coffee, fruit juices etc. Couldn't fault it.
Check out was a bit problematic due to issues with the card machine, but very nice staff did their best to resolve the issue quickly.
One of favourite aspects of the stay was Maisie the cat! Fantastic idea! Maisie is a soft toy cat you out outside your bedroom door to say 'don't disturb'. We loved her so much, we paid to take her home!
We can highly recommend Norton House to anyone, plus great wheelchair access.
Couldn't give it 5 stars due to the issue with heating & the layout being a bit confusing, but otherwise, we will return finance permitting. Lovely anniversary treat.

1 Thank womenabroad
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a detailed review following your recent stay to celebrate your Anniversary. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and delighted that you will return in the future. The air conditioning unit in the room does not have a clock to set a timer, but does need switching on and the temperature does have to be manually set dependent on what heating/cooling you require, The under floor heating and towel rail along with the air conditioning should have been pointed out to you when you were taken into your room. Please let me apologise that this did not happen. It is fantastic that you now own your own Maisie and I do hope she has settled into her new home. Thank you for recommending us to prospective guests and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.
Kind regards.