“SGF Independence Debate May 2014”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #45 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed May 3, 2014

The Scottish Grocers federation uses this hotel every year for its Network Meeting, this year it hosted John Swinney and Gary Robertson as guests. I arrived at 1.30pm and was greeted by two friendly receptionists. My room wasn't ready, but check in isnt until 3.00pm so they took my case and held it behind reception. We had booked the patio room for our meeting and it was set up and ready to go for 2.00pm.

A colleague and I had a snack in the a drawing room which was beautifully presented and very clean. I had Salmon and soft cheese sandwiches and my colleague Brie sandwiches, both of which were served with fresh salad garnish and crisps. Both were very good.

After the meeting I was able to get into my room, I had stayed in several of the rooms in different area of the hotel over the years and was not dissapointed. My room was clean and tidy, tea coffee facilitys, huge 40"-42" tv and most importantly a really comfortable bed. I met up with another six of my colleagues who had ordered various snack and bar meals with assorted refreshments. These were served promptly, each meal was of a good standard, plentiful and well recieved, the cost was very reasonable £88.00 for 7 of us.

After the debate we walked to the Garden Rooms for a three course meal, a well presented and flavoured Smoked Haddock Soup starter, Chicken and assorted vegetable and finally a sticky toffee pudding and ice cream. Everything presented to us was fresh, tasty and our table nothing was left on our plates.

The next morning we had breakfast ranging from the full traditional, to just scrambled eggs. The breakfast was sewrved to all of us at once with a plentiful supply of tea, coffee and juices.

As usual the Hotel excelled and non of us could or would complain about any element of our visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer part of the hotel as these have a TV in the bathroom as well.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review following your recent trip on business. I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and delighted that the Conference and Dinner was well received. I do hope to welcome you and the Scottish Grocers Federation back to Norton House Hotel & Spa next year.

There are newer reviews for Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Having previously used the spa, I've wanted to stay here for ages so recently took up a deal through a voucher site and stayed on a Sunday. First impressions were great- it's a lovely looking hotel and the welcome was nice. We were offered an upgrade to a junior suit for £25 and took this. When we were shown to the room, which on face value was very impressive. I did notice a damp smell but thought is was maybe just the drain in the bathroom and disregarded this. We went straight to the spa and gym, which are really good. The spa is lovely and very relaxing. We then had dinner in the bistro which was standard fare. The breakfast the next day was lovely.
So, now for the snags...When we eventually went to the room after our meal (about 11pm), the smell in the room was a lot stronger. I have an allergy to some types of mould so wasn't prepared to sleep there so wanted to change rooms. I also noticed the room was actually a bit grubby- lots of scuff marks on the walls and the bedside table was water damaged. Also, the air con in the room was also not working (freezing downstairs and roasting upstairs) and we couldn't get the tv sound to come on so we were a bit annoyed and wondered if this was the 'cheap upgrade' room. We phoned reception about 10 times but there was no answer- we then called all the numbers (bar etc) but no answer. After about an hour, my husband went to the reception and the night porter just gave him a key to another room. So at midnight, we shifted all our stuff into the other room, which thankfully didn't smell at all. This new room was also a in a lot better condition. It really felt like all this spoiled our nice chilled out night so we went off to sleep a bit stressed and annoyed. When I spoke to the receptionist about this the next day, we didn't even get an apology. I brought up that we'd paid for an upgrade and then it was very unsatisfactory and she then agreed to remove the £25 upgrade fee. I just felt a bit let down about this lack of customer service and no acknowledgement about how annoying it is to change rooms at that time of night.
My second major gripe is with the hotel's heating system. The whole place uses aircon, which in Scotland, is just insane. There's a constant blow of air about the place which I just found really uncomfortable. I also found everywhere really cold. I'm sure it's lovely when, for the 6 days of the year, the temperature in Scotland goes above 18 degrees, but for the rest of the time, it's just cold and blowy- we get enough of that outside!
Another gripe was with some of the staff. Some were great but others were really off. At our evening meal, the restaurant was about half full and we were sat at the worst table- right next to a sink for the staff. We asked if we could move and the waiter acted as though we'd asked to eat our own packed lunch! We got a much nicer table but with a bit of fuss. The breakfast experience was much the same- loads of space in the nice cosy inside part and we almost got sat in the cold conservatory that was completely empty! Some of the staff were really just pretty awful.
If the room wasn't a disaster, my review may be a lot more positive but we went here for a total chill out and instead it was a stressy, irritating stay. The spa is gorgeous and I'd return to use it for a spa day but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: If you get an upgrade, make sure the room isn't damp!
1  Thank kandsandb
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thank you for posting a review of Norton House Hotel and Spa following your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read about the maintenance issues you experienced in your room and the lack of acknowledgement shown regarding your changing of rooms. I can assure you that your allocated room was not a cheap upgrade option and your feedback has been shared with both the Maintenance team and Head Housekeeper to review. We do have air conditioning in certain areas of the hotel and some of this has been installed on the back of guest’s comments however please accept my apologies that you found areas of our hotel uncomfortable. I am delighted that you enjoyed the spa and breakfast and that you will return for a spa day in the future. Thank you again for your constructive feedback and I reiterate my apology that on this occasion your experiences had a negative impact on the overall enjoyment of your stay.
Kind regards

Reviewed April 25, 2014

First impressions of the hotel were that it was modern until we realised that this was the extension and spa. When we drove round to the main old building it was lovely. Upgraded to one of the rooms in the old house, which was definitely worth it. A beautiful light room with 3 windows and a small balcony. The bathroom had recently been renovated and was lovely. Staff were very friendly, particularly on reception. Lots of nice walks. The swimming pool and spa was busy when we arrived, but early morning there were few people there and the pool was excellent. One of the better spas that I have visited - steam room/sauna/spa pool etc. Will definitely be back - it is in an excellent spot for visiting Edinburgh and the surrounding airport. Near the airport, but no noise from this. Good breakfast - only disappointment was that it was not really hot enough.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the rooms in the main old house - definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manger at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

I very much appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you had a relaxing break and that you found all the staff friendly. It is nice to read that you upgraded to one of our traditional rooms and that you liked the refurbished bathrooms. I am pleased that you found breakfast good but I take on board your comment re temperature and will discuss this with our Executive Chef. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This hotel is a gem. Part of Hand Picked chain it is a charming spa hotel just 20 mins drive from Edinburgh. The room was spacious and well furnished - a massive comfy bed with linen changed frequently. Extra large wet room with heaps of towels. All amenities available.
Service was excellent. I had a bottle of wine which I carried over to the following night and which couldn't be found. I was just given another bottle of wine to drink as much as I wanted. The reception staff were all helpful and smiled (makes such a difference) as was the concierge. We had afternoon tea one day - the choice and variation was really good and they altered their catering for a vegetarian so readily preparing it after we arrived so that everything was freshly made - even the scones were warm.. Food in the restaurant was cooked to perfection. The pool and spa - a larger than normal pool for a hotel and the treatments I had left me feeling really good. The only down side is that the spa and pool is not connected to the hotel by a covered walkway so after swimming or having a treatment and if you want to keep your robe on you have to go outside to get back into the hotel which his not ideal especially if its raining.

Room Tip: Toast is brought to you with your tea/coffee so its cold by the time your breakfast arrives. If you...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor following your stay with us here at Norton House Hotel and Spa. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit and that you found your experience “just wonderful". I am pleased that you had time to use all the facilities and that you found the service excellent and the staff helpful. Thank you again for your feedback and I do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We generally visit the hotel once a year and love it. The rooms are great, swimming pool etc. is an excellent addition too. We love the breakfast in bed and the restaurant food is fantastic. We got married here in 2005 and have seen it grow and expand over that time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review and it is great to read that you have become a regular guest since you got married here. I am delighted that you enjoy all the facilities we have to offer and that you appreciate all the changes you have seen since the hotels expansion. I look forward to welcoming you back for your ninth wedding Anniversary very soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Booked afternoon tea as a treat for my Mum last weekend . We had a lovely table in the drawing room, tea selection was explained in detail which was a nice touch. The afternoon tea itself was fabulous, all freshly made with a lot of choice. Service was very good too and we were offered extra tea and coffee. In all one of the best afternoon teas that we have had. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

I really appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your recent visit. I am delighted that you found the food excellent and that our staff were able to explain our tea selection in detail to you. Afternoon Tea is very popular at Norton House and it is great to read that you will come again and repeat the experience. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

The hotel was like a home from home. Everyone was very welcoming and helpful. We had the Crammond Suite with amazing views across to Edinburgh. We ate in the Brasserie - the fish and chips were amazing! As usual with Handpicked Hotels, the food was excellent and good value but the price of drinks is too high.

Room Tip: The Crammond Suite was lovely and afforded wonderful views across the parkland to Edinburgh and Arth...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am delighted that you liked the Cramond suite and it is great to read that you found the Fish & Chips in the Brasserie amazing. I do hope we see you at Norton House again in the future.