“Excellent venue with amazing spa! Must Visit!”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My Mum and I visited here last year for my birthday. We booked a dinner, bed and breakfast deal which included two treatments and full use of the spa facilities.

Upon arrival, we checked in but our room wasn't ready so we headed down to the spa where we were given a very friendly greeting. We were shown around and then headed to get changed into our swimming gear ahead of our treatments.

The waiting/sitting room for guests awaiting treatments was bright and relaxing, offering various drinks from water, fruit juices and teas.

We both opted for the full body scrub and then a back, neck and shoulder massage. The treatments were amazing. The rooms were small and dimly lit, with a shower in the room to wash off the scrub ahead of the massage. The therapist was very professional and polite.

After our treatments we went to the relaxation room, which has about 12 beds each with its own individual light, again there were some teas and drinks, my Mum and I both had a nap - It was lovely!

After this, we went for a swim and a steamroom/sauna which was great. After this we headed to the main spa eating/sitting area where others were all in thier robes and slippers which was lovely! We had a healthy lunch each with a glass of champagne - Very posh!

After all of this we headed to the main building to gain access to our room. The room was a good size. We opted for a twin which had two decent sized double beds. An arm chair, massive flat screen TV and desk. Very pleased with the room, we stayed in here for a few hours and watched some films on the DVD player - Lovely!

We had booked in for dinner later in the evening. I can't quite remember what we had but I remember being extremely satisfied with the quality of the food, and I remember our waitress being extremely chatty and friendly - What a lovely warm welcome!

All in all this stay was amazing. Really top quality compaired to some of the previous spa's I have been to. I would highly reccommend this venue to anyone! My friends also got marries in Norton House in the May of 2013 and was an amazing day. Must visit!

Room Tip: We had one of the newer rooms to the back of the building. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amie P
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you so much for posting a review of your stay at Norton House last year. I was delighted to read what a great time you had and that you really made the most of your time with us. I do hope you had a lovely birthday and I am happy that we were allowed the chance to help make it special. Thank you for recommending us to future guests and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel and Spa in the future.
Chris Monks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,492)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed here for one night in November 2013 .It really is great , very clean and well equipped rooms , fantastic spa and pool and great food .The staff were very friendly and helpful .Value for money was very good as well .We also enjoyed some cocktails in the lounge (which they did take a bit long to prepare ) and had a very pleasant evening .The San Miguel , on tap , was amazing - best beer around .Highly recommend this place and will definitely be returning .

Room Tip: We were at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words they are very much appreciated It is pleasing to read that you found the food, Spa and pool fantastic and that you found your stay value for money; Thank you for recommending us to future guests and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future, where you can sample the San Miguel again.

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We had a very pleasant relaxing stay over for the new year period it was very clean the staff were very polite and extremely helpful. And we would definitely stay there again. The spa and facility's were excellent and made us very welcome. 5 star treatment

Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for posting feedback following your New Year break at Norton House.
I am pleased that you had a pleasant relaxing stay and that you found the team to be polite and helpful. Your comments regarding the spa and its facilities are very much appreciated; last year we were awarded five bubbles from the Good Spa guide which is their highest accolade to award. I am delighted you received that five star treatment. It is great to read that you will stay again and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We have just returned from a truly excellent 3 day stay at Norton House. Every member of staff we met - from Reception, to the restaurant and the Health Spa - could not have made us feel more welcome. Rooms were beautiful; spacious and comfortable. Bathroom was fabulous with a TV bath! We will definitely be returning ASAP.

Room Tip: We upgraded from a standard Double to an Executive Room - very impressed
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback following your recent stay at Norton House. It is pleasing that you found your room beautiful, spacious and comfortable. Upgrading to an executive room certainly does have its benefits such as the fabulous bathroom with a TV in it. I am delighted that all the staff you encountered made you feel so welcome during your stay, the team regularly look at reviews on trip advisor and I know they will take great encouragement when reading your comments.
It is fantastic that you will return and visit us in the future and I thank you again for your kind words.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have just returned from a one night stay at Norton House and had a truly wonderful stay. I wanted to book somewhere which was elegant and relaxing with good food and is is exactly what I got. The hotel reception is beautiful and elegant and was beautifully decorated for Christmas. We were personally shown to our room by a member of reception staff as it was a little bit of a maze to get there however we were delighted by the standard of the room. Very light, modern and spacious with a few luxury touches like a heated bathroom floor (loved it!) and a tv in the bathroom where you could also play music via a speaker on the ceiling. These small details really set this hotel apart from others.

Once checked in we went to the relaxing bar area for a snack and a drink. Great bar menu and efficient service.

I booked a DBB deal and as part of the package we received champagne and canapés before dinner. These were really enjoyable. We had a 3 course meal, all of which was superbly presented and of great quality. I had ham hock to start, My duck main course was particularly delicious, seasoned to perfection and I managed chocolate brownie with cherry ice cream to finish. We retired to the bar for a post dinner cocktail which was great.

The bed in our room was huge and one of the comfiest I have stayed in. I had a great night sleep apart from a crying child which could be heard through the adjoining door but don't think this would be a problem in all rooms. The black out curtains made for a great nights sleep and we paid £3 to have breakfast delivered to our room - beautifully cooked and arrived right on time.

There was a wedding on whilst we were staying at the hotel but this did not affect our stay as he wedding was held in a separate part of the building. Sadly I did not get a chance to try the spa facilities but very much hope to return again soon and will be recommending this hotel to friends and family.

It should also be noted that I booked directly on the hotels website where I got a better deal than other websites.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to let everyone know what you thought of your stay at Norton House Hotel & Spa. I will ensure that the team are made aware of your review; they will be very encouraged by your lovely comments. I hope we will see you return to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

It was our 39th wedding anniversary and our daughter had booked for us to have a family lunch outing to this lovely hotel, situated in beautiful grounds. We had the drawing room to ourselves over looking the gardens. We had a 4year-old and 9mnth old with us and they were welcomed and catered for. The men chose to have "elevenses", with a small cup of soup, savoury croissants and sausage roll etc. The ladies chose a more than adequate afternoon tea, with sandwiches, cakes, panacotta, scones and cream etc. it was all very gracious, but not stuffy, and service was helpful and attentive. We could have as many different pots/kinds of tea as we liked. There was no rush to "pack us off"...all in excellent taste. My daughter had been several times with friends. We would certainly go again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for posting a review and please accept my belated congratulations on your wedding anniversary. I am delighted that you and your family had a lovely day and that you enjoyed the whole experience. The drawing room is a fantastic setting to enjoy a family celebration and it is great to see that you will return again in the future.

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Reasonable hotel situated close to Edinburgh airport.
Rooms are acceptable, clean etc though not amazing. 7/10
Did not use the spa.
Restaurant food was good at 8/10. I had Lunch and dinner.
Would use again.
Unfortunately no informal bar area.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Adamwayne007

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent trip on business. It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your lunch and dinner and it great that you will visit us again. The hotel does have two informal bar areas in the Glass Lounge and Health Club & Spa. I appreciate that you did not use the club so would not be aware of the bar there. I do hope we can welcome you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa in the near future.