“Lovely stay, delicious food, avoid rooms above hotel entrance”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #40 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We checked in easily after 3pm and the receptionist was welcoming and gave us all the information we needed. We were allocated the queensferry room at the front of the hotel. On arrival we knew there was a wedding on as we met the bride. We enjoyed the health club; pool, small steam room, jacuzzi and small sauna. All was clean. The fancy shower was slightly strange in that you had to peer around it to see if it was actually free. The jacuzzi was a bit different in that it had 2 metal summer seats in it, just be careful when sitting down on the seats because of the angle.

We had reserved dinner in the ushers restaurant when I booked the room several weeks ago. Our meal was divine, all food was very colourful and presented beautifully, it was a very high standard. The service was excellent. Additionally we received 3 different breads, 2 appetisers and a sorbet after our main meal. The only thing was that the main meal could have been hotter as it soon lost its heat quickly. One could say that the waiter does not need to explain everything that was in each dish as we had after all chosen our meals in the first instance. This was the same with everyone in the restaurant as we heard the details from the 2 tables beside us.

Our room was lovely, quite spacious with a comfy bed and pillows, heaters adequate although under the single glazed high windows and it was necessary to leave the curtains open so the heat could actually heat up the room. The decor could have been better as it was a bit dated (floral border, floral curtains with frills and brass light fittings). The bathroom was very modern in grey and white. It was immaculately clean with complimentary toiletries. Most impressed with this and the rain shower too.
Negative point; our sleep was disrupted more than twice due to the noise from the front door of the hotel being opened and closed, noise of others (shouting and talking) outside at the front of the hotel from after 11pm to 2am, noise of car engines and car horns. The people were either waiting on taxis, waiting for others to come and collect them, waiting for car engines to heat up and defrost the ice on their windscreens or simply smoking outside.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay in November. I am delighted that you had a lovely stay and that you found the food delicious and the service in the restaurant excellent. It was great to read that your room was lovely and spacious and I take on board your comments about the décor. The room you stayed in was one of our traditional rooms and whilst it is fair to say that these are not in the style of our contemporary rooms, we do have new and regular guests who reserve them as a preference. The bathrooms in the traditional rooms have all been refurbished in the last twelve months and I am pleased that you were impressed with them. Please let me apologise that your sleep was disturbed during your stay. Wherever possible we do try to allocate guests rooms appropriately and try to monitor noise levels to avoid disruption to our guests. I am sorry that this was not the case during your stay. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel and Spa in the future.

Chris Monks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,519)

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had buisness at Edinburgh university and stayed for five nights. Lovely relaxing atmosphere and wonderful staff. One night we went out to number one, a restaurant in town with one star in the Micheline guide. The next evening we went to the three rosette restaurant at Norton house. Guess where we got the best food? The best wine? The best service? At Norton house!!! Absolutely fantastic dinner and the best waiter (from Hungary originally) giving us an experience of food and wine, especially the Tokajer that we will never forget. The food was top of world class with a young and really amazing chef! Great value for the money!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank ProfKitty
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Thank you for posting feedback following your stay in July. I am pleased you found the hotel relaxing and that you found the staff wonderful. I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal in ushers and that you rated it so highly. We are very proud of the food and service in ushers and the team will take great satisfaction when reading your review. I have thanked Sandor and the kitchen team personally for your comments and I do hope we can welcome you back to Norton House and Ushers in the future.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed here on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate which was expensive but the hotel is worth it. From the first entrance we were made to feel welcome and valued. The room was a decent size, very clean and fresh with a large comfy bed, small sofa, mini bar and tray containing coffee, tea, biscuits and hot chocolate, dressing gowns and lovely toiletries. You also get your own cuddly cat on the end of the bed instead of a 'Do not disturb' sign - a nice touch!

Dinner at the brasserie was very tasty especially the home-made ice cream. Breakfast was also great, continental buffet and a menu of hot options to choose from.

The spa, which you get access to as a guest, was great too. A decent sized pool, nice big Jacuzzi style pool, experience shower, steam room and sauna. Comfy loungers round the pool for sitting and reading to relax. No availability for treatments though, so if you want one book in advance.

In conclusion, although expensive, you get what you pay for and more with this hotel. Great for a special occasion or a treat!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to Norton House Hotel & Spa. It is great that you had a fantastic, relaxing weekend and that you felt valued by our team. I am delighted that you liked your room and that you enjoyed breakfast and dinner in the brasserie. I am pleased that you enjoyed the facilities in the Health club. Our spa is very popular especially at weekends and I would always recommend booking treatments in advance to avoid disappointment. Thank you again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed here on new years eve although I had been to the hotel previously for an event. Lovely hotel and although we didn't have any treatments the swimming pool, sauna etc in the spa were brilliant. Staff were very friendly. The hotel is pricey but you pay for quality.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for posting a review following your stay on New Years Eve. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed the facilities in the club and that you found all the staff friendly. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

As a birthday treat, my husband booked us into the Norton House Hotel for one night, DBB. Our room was upgraded and well worth it. The whole experience was just right for a birthday treat. The room was tastefully decorated and designed for the comfort of the guests.
We couldn't find one thing that was negative about our stay. The only problem was we didn't want to leave after only one night. Maybe next year?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that your whole experience was just right for your birthday treat. It would be great to welcome you back on your next birthday and maybe next time you can stay for two nights.

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

It just keeps getting better and better. I stayed here for two nights on business following a recommendation from a friend. On arrival a concierge takes you to your room. The rooms are huge, beautifully decorated, with wonderfully comfortable beds and fantastic showers

The spa is wonderful! I never tried the treatments but the pool, sauna and steam room were great

The restaurant is very nice also with lovely food and a great atmosphere.

All round a fantastic hotel for business or pleasure

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your trip on business. I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I trust we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

The purpose of my visit was two fold. To enjoy a 4 night relaxed stay but more importantly to propose to my partner. The staff at Norton House could not have been more helpful.
I spoke with the reservations manager and she was very helpful and really made me feel I had chosen the right place(which is her job but she was right). The staff on reception were extremely helpful and totally understand the importance of customer service. They were all eager to know what my partner said and were genuinely pleased for us!!
The spa was a great place to go and relaxed. The staff are extremely friendly and we could not have asked for more again.
One thing that stood out for me was my last minute request for non alcoholic champagne. I spoke to a gentleman who may have been a senior manager to make my request and his answer was "if I don't have it here I will certainly go out and buy it for you sir" This in my opinion is what sets an average hotel apart from the more superior and service orientated.
I am a Senior manager in a Luxury hotel myself so completely understand the importance of service. Norton House have it spot on. Thank you to ALL the staff for a wonderful experience and hopefully see you for our Anniversary celebrations. Rahim

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChelseaFC23
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

I very much appreciate you posting a review following your four night stay at Norton House. I am pleased that you had a wonderful experience and that all your plans for the proposal went so well. With that in mind please let me congratulate you and your partner on your engagement. The team were all delighted with your announcement and they were all genuinely excited to hear the happy news and play a part in the memorable occasion. I was the gentleman to whom you requested the non alcoholic champagne from and I too take great pleasure that I played a part in your special day. I do hope you return to celebrate your anniversary and thank you again for your feedback
Chris Monks.