“Lovely afternoon tea”

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Booked afternoon tea at the Norton as a wee treat for my friend who is about to have a baby. Six of us plus my 3 month old. I arrived first and was struggling out of my car with pram and baby present. The concierge saw me from the window and immediately came out to help. Shown into drawing room where afternoon tea was set up. We had it all to ourselves. Great selection of teas, food was lovely and amazing service everyone was so friendly. I've stayed in the Norton twice as well as attended the Christmas function and it has always been excellent. Afternoon tea was no exception. Thanks for a lovely day!

• Stayed: September 2013
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for posting a review following your recent visit to Norton House. I am delighted that you had a lovely day and that you enjoyed your afternoon tea experience. The drawing room is a fantastic and popular location for enjoying a relaxing occasion with friends and family and I am pleased the food and service matched the surroundings. It is really pleasing to read that your previous visits have all been excellent and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Chris Monks

Write a ReviewReviews (1,512)

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hotel is great. The rooms are very well fitted with great bathrooms. It's the little details that sets this place apart, fresh pint of milk every day for tea/coffee etc. The food in both the restaurant and room service is really top notch, I always look forward to both breakfast and dinner.

The staff are very professional and friendly.

Best of all is the spa and gym. Beautiful pool, sauna, steam room. The gym is not huge but it isn't bad at all.

One of the best hotels in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your business trip in May. I am delighted that you think the hotel is great and that you found the staff very professional and friendly. I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I appreciate your feedback noticing the little details that set us apart. I hope to welcome you back to Norton House in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

My daughters had a BMW Spa day pass. They decided to take their mother for a 50th birthday treat and paid an extra £25. Unfortunately when they asked for a robe they were told "not on a bmw pass" by the cheeky receptionist. This prevented my daughters and wife from having lunch or a drink as they could not possibly sit in a towel as everybody else had a bath robe.
When I complained to management by phone they assured me that they would investigate the complaint and come back to me - still waiting Piers!
Result is tears and upset by a receptionist who obviously must wash the bathrobes at night!

Room Tip: Check to see what you get for your BMW spa day! They got a swim and a towel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank garrysprott
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Thank you for your feedback following your daughters visit with their mother to our spa. I now believe you have spoken to David Gordon our Club Manager who has discussed your points in detail. Piers did pass your feedback to David immediately after his conversation with you on the day, and David then contacted your partner to discuss her experience. Please accept my apologies for any break down in communication. I can assure you that your points will be addressed and I do hope that your family will take up David’s offer of returning in the future.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had our wedding at the Norton House last month and we could not have asked for a better setting for our big day. We had our ceremony outside in the Garden Suite and then the wedding breakfast and evening party inside the modern Garden Suite. Everything was set up perfectly and the Hotel staff could not have been more helpful. Our Duty Manager, Gavin, was brilliant and helped us ensure the day ran as planned. Emma on reception too was very friendly and helpful. Our only criticism was that not everyone's rooms were ready by 3pm as promised the day of check in. This wasn't a big deal - it just meant we had some guests all waiting around to get checked in ready for our BBQ the evening before, which included the groom and our 3 month old daughter. In the grand scheme of how well everything else went it was a minor thing. Our rooms were gorgeous and we even got a suite the night of our wedding which was lovely, along with some complimentary champers which was a nice touch! The Spa were also great - I had booked them to come and do my make up (which was gorgeous!) and they even touched up a pedicure for me at the last minute - thank you so so much! Food was lovely and we could not have felt more looked after as a newly married couple. Thanks also to Natasha for all of her help in the run up to the wedding and helping organise the pre-wedding BBQ which again was great and all delivered as promised. Definitely a 5* Hotel - fairly expensive but worth the money!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your wedding with us at Norton House. I am pleased that you had a great day and that you were able to have your ceremony outside. I will thank Gavin, Emma and Natasha personally for your kind comments, I know they will delighted when they read your feedback. I can only apologise that some rooms were not ready at 3.00pm the day before the wedding, this has been taken on board and will be reviewed with the front office team. It is great to read that everybody enjoyed the BBQ and the team was able to allocate you a suite on the night of the wedding. Please accept my congratulations on your wedding and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the near future.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

My son purchased a Spa day for his dad and me in June (Father's Day gift).
Before our visit we had to print out the paperwork and it was recommended that we phone to book for our lunch, this I did and was informed that because our appointments were for a Monday that we didn't need to book as the restaurant wouldn't be busy, Ha!
Upon our arrival,in the first instance it was difficult to find A) The Spa centre at the hotel, and B) The reception to the Spa - there was no signposting anywhere.
Then we were just left sitting in the large lounge and the fire alarm bell went off, a staff member told us to go outside-as we did we advised other clients who were seated with their complimentary drinks that we should go and then their Spa assistant told us that it was only a drill and to stay.. Eventually we began our morning, I had the massage and the facial; there is actually a choice of either/or but my husband flatly refused saying that he would go for a swim instead so it meant that I was allowed one of each treatment, That was it!! We went for lunch and ordered the 'Norton House' burger with a side salad and then sat and waited for 50 minutes. I went and asked the only member of staff in the huge lounge/dining area where our lunch was and 20 minutes later it duly arrived. The apology came with this comment " Sorry it's late but the restaurant was really busy so it's better to book" I just replied that I had been advised that it would not be busy and we didn't need to book. Well, the 'Norton House' burger was just a lump of squashed mince, not even shaped like a burger, stuffed in a bun, it was grey and gristly and turned my stomach, I didn't eat it, and, to add insult to injury the staff charged us full price for the meal in spite of the fact that before we ordered I told her that we had a voucher for a small discount on our lunch- she did duly deduct the voucher. Anyway, because it took us so far into the afternoon, all I had time for was a rather shortened swim and dip in the Spa whirlpool (these were by far the nicest experiences of my day) before heading for home.
I found the place not so much unwelcoming but indifferent. As for the atmosphere, it can be best described as dead and grey! This all made me feel very upset for my son because he had paid a lot of money for us and wanted us to have a lovely day.
It was a lot more bother than it was worth

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review on Trip advisor following your visit to our Spa in June. Our guests are directed to the Health Club and Spa via signposts in the grounds. However I do appreciate when entering the walled garden some guests head straight to our Garden Suite and pass the entrance to the spa. Weekly testing of our fire alarm is a statuary obligation; however I feel we could have communicated this more effectively to you on the day. All your feedback is really important to us and whilst we naturally enjoy receiving positive reviews, we add just as much importance to comments letting us know where we did not do well. Please accept my apologies that your visit fell short of your expectations. Please be assured that your comments will be reviewed and the points addressed with team. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know your feedback.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Our company held an executive training course at the venue last week which was highly successful. Prior to the event, the Events Co-Ordinator was excellent, and the on-site staff dealing with the event were friendly, approachable and willing to help at every opportunity. The conference room was spacious, well lit and well laid out. The bedrooms were excellent and good value for money. All food served was of a high standard. The hotel is versatiles and in a great location - I would recommend this to any businesses looking to hold a conference in the Edinburgh area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Craig T
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent trip on business. I am delighted that your executive training course was a success and that you were happy with all aspects of your stay. Your comments regarding the staff are fantastic and I know they will take great encouragement when reading your feedback. I agree that we are in a great location for holding a business event and I thank you for recommending us to other companies, looking to hold a meeting in the Edinburgh area. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel & Spa in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stay at this hotel now and then for work. It's really handy for the airport but it is way better than other hotels that are nearer the airport. The rooms are really comfortable. The swimming pool and spa is great for getting some exercise on work trips, (when time). A recent stay involved entertaining overseas business visitors from the far-east, and the hotel provided a really excellent dinner, all presented very well indeed, which I am sure impressed our guests. The staff are always welcoming and helpful, and it's just a really nice, well-run, comfortable place to stay, which makes work trips easier and more enjoyable. It would also be a nice place to stay for personal trips, as it's close to Edinburgh city centre and also to main roads away north further into Scotland.

Room Tip: The executive rooms are particularly spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sophie L
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

I really appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on Trip advisor. I am delighted that you find our rooms comfortable and our swimming pool great. Your comments regarding the recent dinner you attended are very encouraging and the team will be very pleased when they read your review. It is great to read that our hospitality makes your works trips easier and more enjoyable and I do hope you get the chance to stay for a leisure break in the near future.