1,594 results
All reviewsushers restaurantkingdom suiteexperience showerhandpicked hotelsexecutive roombrasserie restaurantgarden suitesteam roomclose to the airportpark and ridelovely hotelrelaxing breakwedding partyfresh milkleisure facilitiesbirthday treatfollowing morning
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have just come back from a night away at Norton House and felt compelled to write a review (which I have never done for any hotel on any website).

I booked it as a surprised from my wife for our 1 year anniversary. Booked a deluxe room and when we arrived we had been upgraded to a junior suite. The room was amazing!

We had dinner in the Brassiere, the food is amazing. I had the chorizo salad, haddock and chips and sticky toffee pudding. It couldnt have been nicer. The breakfast was just as good. The service for both dinner and breakfast was outstanding.

We used the spa twice. It is one of the nicest pool areas I have been too and I have been to many 4/5 star hotels. The hydropool is awesome.

I cant wait to go again!

If you have any doubts about going, put those aside. The hotel is excellent and I recommend anyone to go.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank andythom
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

What a super review you have posted on Trip advisor. I am delighted you had such a lovely time and that you chose us to celebrate your first wedding anniversary. I was pleased we were able to upgrade you to a junior suite and it is great to see that you found it amazing. Thank you for your kind comments about all aspects of your stay and for recommending us to future guests. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Arrived at norton house for a wedding and was overwhelmed. Then things went slighty downhill from there, hair in my dinner ( although was offered a new dinner I was strangley no longer hungry)
A hairy sponge left in my bathroom from housekeeping which I can say also put me off using the sides in my bathroom and the thought of it being used elsenwhere! The tilevision wasnt working properly, breakfast was warm, tea was luke warm, for a 4* hotel and paying over £150 a nite id expect a faultless stay.

Room Tip: There were 5 people in our party 2adults 3 children age 3, 6, 8 and we were allocated the executive room which was plenty big enough and sofa beds are huge with plenty room to sleep 3 small children
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay at Norton House Hotel. I was pleased that you found our location stunning and the allocated executive room was a good size for all the family. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you experienced, these have been discussed with the relevant members of the team and action has been put in place to prevent a re-occurrence.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have visited the spa, which is part of this hotel and never been disappointed. The whole atmosphere of the spa forces you to relax and chill out. We decided this time around rather than just going to the spa for the day we would stay overnight in the hotel as well. We were on a dinner bed and breakfast rate. I am glad we did it that way around as otherwise the good of the relaxing spa would have disappeared very quickly going on the prices on food and drink in the hotel. The lunch in the spa cafe is always good and usually not too bad price wise, but this time around it cost us nearly £40 for a burger and wedges each, a soft drink and a cup of tea. However, we were treating ourselves so didn't mind too much. The rooms in the hotel are nice, but a bit on the small side. The one strange idea, which I can see that the hotel are just trying to be a bit different and quirky, but to have a toy cat that you put outside your door as your do not disturb sign and then to state that if it goes missing you have to fork out for a replacement is flawed for a start. We went out in the morning and ours was gone. My husband reported this to reception on check out and said that we would not be paying for it as we had heard kids running about the corridors earlier and as kids would naturally do, they probably had picked it up to play with it. The food in the brasserie for evening meal is really nice, but pricey as are the drinks. The cheapest bottle of wine is over £20 and it is not a very out of the ordinary one. The atmosphere in the brasserie is not great for a romantic meal, we found it to be quite the opposite. I know it states in the brochure that it is a more relaxed atmosphere, but I really don't want to be quite so close to other tables that I can hear their conversations or that my husband has to keep asking me what I have said cos he can't hear me.
However, I cannot fault the service of the staff in the evening, they were very attentive and friendly.
As we were there to relax, we were looking forward to a bit of a lie in, in the morning, however, this was not the case, the cleaning staff were walking up and down the corridor shouting to each other and laughing without much consideration for guests who might still be trying to sleep.
Breakfast was very disappointing, service was slow, you even have to order your fruit juice, you just can't help yourself to it from the buffet. We ordered our fruit juice and hot drinks and were told to help ourselves to the continental buffet and somebody would bring our drinks and take our order for hot food. The buffet had very little choice, I have gone to hotels where I have paid less for DBB and they have had a much wider choice of items available. We returned to our table and by the time we had eaten what we had from the buffet table, our drinks had still not arrived and nobody had taken our order for hot food. There seemed to be plenty of staff on at that point and not many guests down for breakfast. Eventually our order was taken and when it came they had forgotten the maple syrup to go with my bacon and pancakes, which again took a while to return with it. My husband had ordered the full cooked breakfast and he found it extremely greasy.
On checking out, my husband related all of this to the receptionist, who he said hardly even acknowledged him, and mumbled something about writing it down and would let people know.
I have to say I was quite surprised at the contrast between the way we were treated in the hotel to that of the spa, I think the hotel staff could learn a lot from the spa staff. We were very disappointed that the two did not match. I certainly do not think the prices of the hotel match the service and facilities provided.
We will definitely return for a spa day, but would not stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your stay in February. I was pleased to read your comments regarding our Spa and the service you received at dinner in the brasserie. I was very disappointed to learn of the problems you experienced at breakfast and I sincerely apologise for our shortcomings on this occasion. I do appreciate all your constructive comments as it is with feedback such as this that we can continually monitor our services to our guests.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just returned from a fantastic spa day at norton house. It was a late Mother's Day gift and would just like to say a huge thank you to all the girls they were very organised and so professional. We were made to feel at ease and not over fussy. Our treatments went like clockwork, and flexible when requested. Lunch was great also and the girls serving in cafe bar also were lovely. Would recommend to all and working in hotels would defiantly return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

I am very grateful for you taking the time to post a review following your recent Spa day at Norton House Hotel & Spa. I am delighted that you had such a great day and that you enjoyed all aspects of your Spa experience. Thank you for recommending us to future guests and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Spent a night here on a dinner B&B deal. Have eaten here before and previously stayed once, before the hotel was expanded. The hotel is impressive and has great facilities. We had an executive room in the new wing and it was large, had its own balcony and was very well equipped. The only slight downside, perhaps because of the wind direction on the day we were there, and the way the room faced (west), is that the noise of planes landing and taking off from Edinburgh airport was quite noticable early morning. Food at dinner was very excellent and served efficiently (notwithstanding the strange design of the cutlery!). The usual complaint of outrageously over-priced wine did however apply. Breakfast on the other hand was disappointing. Some items for the vegetarian breakfast were not available and what we had was luke warm and served on cold plates. In the light of day, the cleanliness of the dining room floor was also disappointing for a hotel of this standard. Overall, we still enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you decided to make a return visit and that you enjoyed your stay and our great facilities. I take on board your constructive feedback and this has been discussed with the relevant members of the team. I am pleased that you recommend us to future guests and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel in the near future.