1,596 results
All reviewsushers restaurantkingdom suiteexperience showerhandpicked hotelsexecutive roombrasserie restaurantgarden suitesteam roomclose to the airportpark and ridelovely hotelrelaxing breakwedding partyfresh milkleisure facilitiesbirthday treatfollowing morning
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just returned from a fantastic spa day at norton house. It was a late Mother's Day gift and would just like to say a huge thank you to all the girls they were very organised and so professional. We were made to feel at ease and not over fussy. Our treatments went like clockwork, and flexible when requested. Lunch was great also and the girls serving in cafe bar also were lovely. Would recommend to all and working in hotels would defiantly return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

I am very grateful for you taking the time to post a review following your recent Spa day at Norton House Hotel & Spa. I am delighted that you had such a great day and that you enjoyed all aspects of your Spa experience. Thank you for recommending us to future guests and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Spent a night here on a dinner B&B deal. Have eaten here before and previously stayed once, before the hotel was expanded. The hotel is impressive and has great facilities. We had an executive room in the new wing and it was large, had its own balcony and was very well equipped. The only slight downside, perhaps because of the wind direction on the day we were there, and the way the room faced (west), is that the noise of planes landing and taking off from Edinburgh airport was quite noticable early morning. Food at dinner was very excellent and served efficiently (notwithstanding the strange design of the cutlery!). The usual complaint of outrageously over-priced wine did however apply. Breakfast on the other hand was disappointing. Some items for the vegetarian breakfast were not available and what we had was luke warm and served on cold plates. In the light of day, the cleanliness of the dining room floor was also disappointing for a hotel of this standard. Overall, we still enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you decided to make a return visit and that you enjoyed your stay and our great facilities. I take on board your constructive feedback and this has been discussed with the relevant members of the team. I am pleased that you recommend us to future guests and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Norton house brasserie is a beautiful room with a very disappointing dining experience. My smoked salmon starter had been terrorised by the portion control police with three minute and I mean really tiny strips of smoked salmon and the main course of ox cheeks was decidedly average with a badly seasoned sauce.

My wife's meal was a disaster. Her starter of goats cheese was served with accompaniments that were far too sweet and overwhelmed the cheese. Her main course of caramelised onion tart was far too sweet and was in a terribly soggy pastry that the chef could not fail to be aware of before it left the kitchen. It was so bad it was falling apart. It was also served with mid sized whole cooked carrots that were totally out of place with the dish and made an already embarrassing presentation look ridiculous.

We have eaten here before for Sunday lunch and that was pretty dire too, mostly due to very slow service.

Either way I'd think twice before eating here and do watch for the very expensive wine! A couple of glasses of house wine at 12.50 for a large glass and £9.50 for regular.

There are plenty of places in Edinburgh to eat with much better food and at a fair price.

• Stayed: February 2013
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for posting a review following your visit to our restaurant. To receive such negative feedback regarding the food in the Brasserie is extremely rare and goes against the many positive reviews on Trip advisor and the many compliments received from our guests at the hotel. I have asked the Brasserie team of chefs to review the dishes you had on the evening and apologise that they were not to your satisfaction.The wine selection is researched extensively and the prices do vary. Wine by the glass range from £4.00 for a 125ml glass and £8.00 for a 250ml, not the prices you say in your review; however if a better quality wine is selected then prices will rise accordingly. I do believe that all our pricing is competitive against similar quality of establishments locally, as we constantly monitor our competitors to ensure that our prices are fair and I am confident that this is the case now.
Thank you again for your constructive feedback.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had booked this hotel as a surprise for my wifes birthday, and also as a mini honeymoon (we had to cancel our original honeymoon after the mother in law was seriously ill a few days after the wedding) and after a 5 hour drive, we were looking forward to getting into our room.
Our first impressions on seeing the hotel were......wow! this continued as we walked into the reception area. The receptionist was warm and friendly and told us we would be staying in the 'Balerno' room. Our cases were taken to the room for us by Tom? Anyway, he showed us to the room and showed us how the tv and lights worked etc. It was only when we looked round the room we realised we had been upgraded to a suite which was a wonderful surprise. The room was over two floors, with two bathrooms and a seperate lounge/seating area with tv, there was also a tv at the end of the huge bed, AND a tv at the end of the bath.
We had a quick shower (the upstairs shower was massive with both a shower head and body jets, and went for a drink in the bar. The staff here were efficient and polite and were able to keep tabs on whatever you ordered and simply booked it to the room if thats what you wanted.
Our first nights dining was in the Brasserie restaraunt, and we really could not fault the food at all, it really was fantastic, well presented and exactly as described on the menu. We retired to our room feeling truly stuffed (and a little tipsy from the excellent red wine!)
The next day we had booked some treatments in the spa, and i have to say the massage i had from Rose was fantastic. We used the pool and the sauna too and must have spent around 5 hours there in total, it really was that relaxing.
Our second night we dined in Ushers restaraunt and we thought the hotel would be hard pressed to beat the food from our first night. How wrong we were! It is labelled as a fine dining experience, and that is truly what we got. The staff knew exactly how the food had been cooked, and each course was described to us as it was brought to our table. We were totally blown away by its quality and by the service from the staff.
I have to admit, it wasnt the cheapest two night stay ive had, but i believe quality and service are worth paying for so it was worth it.
I would recomend this hotel to anyone who wants a bit of luxury and fine food for a few days.
Our thanks must go to the management for the uprade to the suite, and all the staff were exellent.
The chefs deserve a special mention for the stunning food.

Would we go back?

Room Tip: if it is a special occasion, try emailing in advance. I did and was upgraded to the suite.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our future guests. I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay in December and that you chose us to combine your mini honeymoon and wife’s birthday celebrations. It is great when there is an opportunity to upgrade guests for special occasions and I am pleased that this was possible for your stay. The Balerno Suite that you were allocated is one of our junior suites and is a popular choice for returning guests. It was fantastic that you were able to visit our Club & Spa during your stay and utilise both the Brasserie and Ushers Restaurants; your positive feedback regarding your experiences in these areas is much appreciated. I will ensure that the team at the hotel see your glowing review and I will speak to Tom, Rose and the Chefs personally for getting special recognition. I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the near future.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were highly disgusted by the 3 hour wait for our main meal on a special day (mothers day) it was not only the fact that we had to wait but also the fact we had to leave and also our children were getting bored and there were no aspects of entertainment for them to enjoy! We were also disgusted in the fact that nobody offered us a drink or asked if we were okay! Overall not pleased.

• Stayed: March 2013
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for your review and I am deeply sorry that you feel we ruined your day. To receive negative feedback about our service and specifically regarding duration of meals is extremely rare, and I have since discussed Sunday lunch service with the restaurant management team on duty who were unaware of any problems that you have raised. If you could contact me on cmonks@handpicked.co.uk and provide me with your contact details, I will ensure one of our management team contacts you to discuss your experience.