“Two issues which changed my mind.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #31 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Dundee,Scotland
“Two issues which changed my mind.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel has lots going for it. Great setting, lovely rooms, good food, lovely spa. I might give it another try because it is so nice but there are plenty places like it. However, service at both our evening meal and at breakfast was pretty bad. Ou evening meal took ages to come and when it did arrive it was the main course with no starter. They then brought the starter with the main.This was a forgiveable oversight as it was the Valentine weekend and they were busy. BUT at the buffet breakfast there appeared to be no one charged with refilling items and I had to wait for yoghurt and then later for butter for quite some time while some one fetched them. I even saw the waitress go and do a couple of other jobs while I waited and I eventually had to remind her that I was in fact still waiting. So not so happy.

I had a massage at the spa where I quickly realised that hard meant unbearable so had to ask her to dial back on the firmness which she did but I still had a sore back for 4 days after. The facial was heavenly though.

I stupidly left my favourite necklace in a robe pocket. When I realised the next day I went to ask if they could look for it and left £10 as a token of thanks for looking through dozens of dirty robes. I was hopeful it might be found as I was told the cleaning company hadn't come to collect the robes yet. The girl was very nice and didn't want to accept the money and said someone would be in touch. I left all my details and heard nothing for a week. I phoned to be told that there was no sign and the robes had gone to the cleaners so they were looking and someone had tried to get in touch although I had no missed calls or messages. They said they couldn't accept the money and would return it to me. I have still not heard any more and it is now 10 days after I phoned them. So although it was totally my own fault for losing the necklace I feel that the spa staff gave me mixed messages and didn't follow through on what they said

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your stay in February. I was delighted that you enjoyed our food and that you found your room and the Spa lovely. I am sorry that you experienced some service issues during your visit; this feedback has been relayed to our Food and Beverage Manager and Spa Manager to address with their teams. Please accept my apologies for the confusion over your missing jewellery, we were unsuccessful in trying to locate your necklace and I believe the delay was caused as a result of calls being made to the cleaning company to see if the necklace was found there. There was never any intention of giving you mixed messages but I do understand your frustration in the delay getting back to you. Thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

Chris Monks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend. We had a room in the old part of the hotel. The room was nice and very clean, with a view over the surrounding park. The breakfast was good. The spa facilities are also very nice, and the short walk over was not a problem for us. The staff was always friendly. All together a very good hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent break at our hotel. I was delighted to read your positive comments and I will ensure that this feedback is passed to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the very near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Enjoyed a very peaceful day with friends here on 23/02/2013, which was a very nice change from the last time I visited, as it was very busy and not really enjoyable. However, this time it was much better.

The staff were pleasant and not bothering you all the time. They explained what was available and where things were and left you to get on with it in peace.

Only down side for me was the rather limited space in the changing rooms, but as you are there to use the facilities, its only a wee negative.

Would recommend this and will definitely go back again.

Cant comment on the value for money factor, as this was a freeebie!

Irene
Edinburgh

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
I am grateful for you taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor following your recent day visit to our Club and Spa. I am pleased that you had a peaceful day and that you found the staff to be pleasant. Thank you for recommending our facilities to others and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Very personable and high standard of service. We managed to get a special offer so it was even better value. Somewhat out of Edinburgh but great for relaxation and an away from it all escape. Good spa facilities so save enough. time to make use of these.

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger than others and some have a balcony but all seem to we'll sound proofed!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you were looked after by the team and that you found the service levels to be of a high standard. I agree with you that Norton House is great for relaxation and an away from it all escape. I do hope you will visit us again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just had to comment on the great night we had recently at the Gourmet Evening. Have reviewed this under Ushers Restaurant, but the icing on the cake was the fantastic offer of a much reduced room rate for bed and breakfast (for 2) which made the event one we could not pass up. Looking forward to being tempted again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit. I am delighted that you had a great night at our Gourmet evening and I also appreciate you giving superb feedback on our Ushers Restaurant page. I have spoken personally to Greg and Sandor who have read your kind words and they send their appreciation. You will be pleased to know that we plan to run another Food and Wine Evening in May and this will be advertised on our website very soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Had a lovely relaxing spa day at Norton house with my friend last week, the service from everyone in the spa is excellent.
The minute you arrive in the Spa you are looked after so well. All of the ladies make you feel really welcome and relaxed. Kate in reception was really helpful!
When you are there you dont feel like you are just 20 mins away from Edinburgh City, you feel like you are miles away from anywhere.
Keep saying I need to do this more often.. I promise I will!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for posting a review following your relaxing spa day last week. I was pleased to note that all the team made you feel welcome and relaxed and that you found the service from everyone excellent. Thank you for highlighting Kate on reception for being really helpful,she will be delighted when she reads your feedback. It is great that you promise to return and I look forward to welcoming you back to Norton House in the very near future.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Travelled up to the hotel for a conference and we had the whole hotel booked out. Location wise it is a £20 taxi to Edinburgh Waverley but location wasn’t priority in this case as for 2 nights we were on business and it was all about working and networking within the grounds of the hotel.

I arrived with 2 of my colleagues who I had travelled with and was greeted by the doorman and subsequently the member of staff at check-in. The whole process was completed with ease and it helped that we were the only company staying there so all the paperwork and payment had been sorted out beforehand. The building was everything that I loved about Scotland and architecture in general. Limestone bricks, a classic interior with modern fittings that went together well, modern annex buildings that worked well with the original building and beautiful grounds.

I have stayed in a number of hotels in relatively short time on this planet from hostels that don’t warrant a start to beautiful hotels like the Norton. This was one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in. Due to the amount of people staying there was a few of us who had been allocated junior suites and I was one of the lucky souls who had the pleasure of staying in one. The bed was huge but did not overpower the room as that too was a great size. All of the in-room facilities were perfect from the TV setup to the tea and coffee making area. The bathroom deserves to be talked about all by itself as it was incredible. The lighting was perfect, looked like it had been newly fitted out with separate double shower and bath facilities and also a full media centre including speakers in the ceiling to listen to the radio and a TV set at the end of the bathtub. The only downside was they didn’t provide any bubble bath (hint to management).

After making full use of the room and getting changed I decided I had enough fun in the room and went to meet my colleagues for the organised meal. The food was a set menu and 3 courses and I enjoyed every minute of it. So far I was well impressed by the first night and I went to put my complimentary robe and slippers on and enjoyed half an hour of TV before getting a great night’s sleep.

After an uninterrupted 8 hours sleep I was fresh and ready to go to the gym before starting my working day. I walked over to the leisure building and was well impressed by the gym facilities the hotel had to offer. I have used hotel gyms a lot with travelling quite a bit for work and I always leave disappointed but this place was different. Well equipped and a good size with weights that are actually worth lifting.

After a great start to the day in the gym it was then time to start the working day by meeting my colleagues for breakfast. What better way to waste an hour of exercise by enjoying a full Scottish breakfast? The breakfast was incredible and every time I visit Scotland I can’t help but eat Haggis and this occasion was no different. As per the previous meal the service and food quality was to the highest standard.

We probably had the largest conference facilities available on site and for the full 2 days that we spent in the conference suites we never had a problem and the whole organisation was flawless. Both buffet style lunches were also to the same standard as the rest of the stay which I won’t describe as already you probably think I have a stake in the hotel business with this glowing review. We also had a semi-formal dinner on our last night which was also catered to a high standard and everyone enjoyed it with the help of the readily available beverages.

Overall I would highly recommend a stay here if you are a business looking to have a conference and want to keep everyone on site as there is no need to leave. If you are travelling as a family or take the Mrs you may want to go to Edinburgh and factor in the £20 each way taxi when you are planning but it’s worth it to stay here.

Room Tip: If you can, get a suite. Well worth the extra.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write your fantastic feedback following your business trip in November. I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you were so well looked after by the team. Reviews such as yours are invaluable for prospective future guests so I really do appreciate you taking the time to review your stay. I hope to welcome you back to Norton House Hotel and Spa in the not too distant future.