“Married at The Norton House Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh

Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
Ranked #33 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Married at The Norton House Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We got married in the Garden Suite on 1st December 2012. The Norton were extremely organised and helpful. On the day itself everything went to plan perfectly. We then stayed on for an additional night. We got upgraded on our room for the Sunday night which was great. Every member of staff could not have been kinder or more helpful. From the staff in the spa to breakfast on our last morning. Everyone was polite, really friendly and went out their way to give good service. I stayed in an executive room the night prior to the wedding. Then we stayed in the Kingdom suite for two nights. The rooms are modern, clean and very comfortable. Could not find anything to complain about!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
ChrisMonks72, Deputy General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for posting a review following your wedding in the Garden suite. I am delighted that your wedding ran perfectly and that you found our team to be organised and helpful. It was great to hear that you were upgraded to the Kingdom Suite, which is an ideal room to relax in the day after your wedding. Thank you for your comments about all our staff, I know they all read trip advisor and they will be pleased when they see your kind words. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Chris Monks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Glasgow, Scotland - UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed for 1 night as a birthday gift from my partner. On arrival it was evident that the hotel was full as we drove around the car park area 3 times and could not find a space. We had to bump up on the kerb along with other cars. There was a wedding and conference on.

Initially allocated room 305 which was very nice. Flat screen tv, tea/coffee/water and a carton of real milk in the fridge. It all turned sour as next door there must have been at least 7 or 8 people in one room drinking, singing, etc. It turned out these were guests who were attending the wedding. I decided to let it go as this was only 2.30pm in the afternoon, however, they returned during the wedding break at 6.30pm. By this time they were well intoxicated with alcohol and the noise levels were ridiculous. I was concerned how bad this noise would be later on into the night. They were all in the one room and congregating in the hallway. I telephoned reception immediately to request a room change. Thankfully the receptionists were very helpful and allocated us room 419. Peaceful until between the hours of 12am and 2am our sleep was interrupted by several noisy and inconsiderate guests singing along the corridors and slamming doors. I find it unbelieveable how people have no consideration for other guests. This was supposed to be a peaceful and relaxing night away but unfortunately we returned home absoltely knackered!

Having said all that, the evening meal was fantastic, breakfast was served in our room for a £3 surchage which is very reasonable and the pool/sauna is also very nice.

All of the staff I encountered were so helpful and friendly which was a bonus. Its just a shame that idiotic guests ruined our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Norton House, I was disappointed to read that your stay was affected by noise from other guests and whilst I was pleased that we were able to allocate you another room, I apologise that you were disturbed again later on in the evening. I am delighted that you found your evening meal to be fantastic and that you enjoyed your room service breakfast. Your comments regarding the staff being helpful and friendly are very much appreciated. Thank you again for your constructive feedback and I hope we will be given the opportunity to welcome you back to Norton House in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The first time I stayed in the norton was on Monday for business and I mad sure i was back there in the Thursday for my 2nd stay.

Everyone the worked there was gave great friendly customer service and the reception staff were always up for a joke...even if I never got a suite! :)

The food was excellent, the sticky toffee pudding just melts you, in not sure if its pudding, the brandy snap or the sauce but the taste is excellent. Pork belly pig was also and excellent main. All of the people around me complimented the food. Only complaint is the price if drinks, you expect to pay more for higher end hotels but this goes a step above.

The gym was a little small with a wait for the tread mills but it was January and everyone doing the "get rid of the Christmas belly"

Over all a enjoyable stay and I'll be back as much as I can! This was a business trip but would be happy to return for pleasure to!

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for posting a review following your recent visits to the hotel. Your comments regarding the staff and food are very much appreciated and I know the team will take great encouragement when they read your kind words. It is great that you plan to return in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

On the whole we enjoyed ourselves although our room was very dated (apart from large tv) and was very noisy! You could hear every time someone walked past the room which was very annoying. I would have expected our room to be much nicer for £122 per night!
Our spa day experience was lovely and the staff were all very friendly

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay in January. I was pleased that you found the Spa day experience lovely and that all of our staff were friendly during your stay. The room you were allocated was one of our traditional rooms which some of our guests prefer, however I apologise that it did not meet your expectations. Thank you again for your constructive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Got a spa premier membership for xmas from my lovely husband £70 worth of treatment for £50 and use of spa on the days of treatments. I have been 3 times 1 for a back massage and a colon massage detox and also a facial as they have special offers on i got more treatments than i would normally. Staff are so nice in spa and also reception and bar. The place has a nice relaxing calming atmosphere .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Angela M
Thank you for posting some feedback of our Spa on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your treatments and your comments regarding the Spas relaxing and calming atmosphere are much appreciated. We have a great team in the Health Club & Spa and I know they will be pleased to have been recognised in your review. I look forward to welcoming you back to the spa in the future.

Irvine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My wife and myself have stayed at Norton House several times. Our experiences in general have been very good. We have stayed in the newer part of the hotel and in the older, traditional part. On one of the occasions that we stayed in the older part, we had a terrible night. We were allocated a room that was directly above reception. The room was lovely but our sleep was interrupted between midnight and 2am by wedding guests. They had loudly congregated outside the reception as taxis and minibuses arrived and departed. Furthermore, a car alarm went off continuously for a spell.

That is the only negative experience I have had at Norton House. The rooms, food, spa and gym are all very good and I think the hotel is an ideal base for exploring Edinburgh.

I would recommend Norton House. We look forward to another weekend getaway in the near future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you found our rooms, food and Spa to be very good and I agree with you that Norton House is an ideal base for exploring Edinburgh. I am sorry that on one occasion your stay was affected by noise but I am pleased that this has not stopped you from recommending us to others. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

overnight with Mum and sisters instead of Christmas presents to each other and much better than getting gifts! Booked 2 twin rooms - turned out to be one above the other - but the rooms were so spacious with a good-sized seating area that we spent all the time in one room apart from meals, a trip to pool and sleep. Huge TV, very comfy beds, heating controls so room was at a temperature of our choosing, fresh milk for cuppa and a relaxing bathroom with a tv in the tiles! View was over car park but was still lovely as there was plenty of greenery. Hotel is close to airport but I only heard one plane the whole time and was surprised how quiet the hotel was.

We stayed in the newer part of hotel (exec room) - I am more of a traditionalist but sister likes modern style - however, I thought room was excellent. Our rooms didn't have a balcony like the others in new section but I think this gave us a larger room and in January you don't tend to need to sit outside!

Spa is built in old walled garden but is very modern.

Food excellent (Brasserie). We had a minor issue with one meal and without any quibbles, this was dealt with more than satisfactorily.

Service also excellent - very helpful staff who treated us like regulars (thanks especially to Jennifer on reception).

Spa offering deals during January and I am lucky enough to live reasonably close so will hopefully be back there this weekend as well!

Was told that the older part has had bathrooms done up recently and bedroom areas due to be redecorated soon so would like to try of the traditional rooms next time.

Room Tip: Ask if bedroom is in new section of hotel or older section - rooms are very different (check the pho...