My partner and i stayed at Norton over the new year as we wanted to see Edinburgh, but also wanted to do our usual hand picked break.
Needless to say, the break was nothing short of stunning. If you read my other Hand Picked reviews, you will hear me talk about the hotels being all about food and service in really really great properties. The same applies at Norton - but with a few twists.
First to the building / rooms themselves - we opted for an upgrade to exec room - and boy was it worth it. Our room (Ratho) was in the newer part of the building. The building itself is simply stunning. The exterior well kept with nice gardens / patios etc. the inside is where the place really comes alive though. From the drawing room, the bar, lounges and restaurant, everything is well appointed with classy furnature and decent decor. It kind of just makes you feel like its a home from home. our room was based over 2 floors - a real surprise to us. As usual with HP, you get a super king bed (even more comfy from home.....) well appointed bathrooms etc etc. In our room though we had a decent sized balcony and upstairs was ansice sitting room and wet room. Its the little extras that make the difference though - so at Norton we were not surprised to see that bottled water and milk come as standard in the fridge in your room. the rooms also have very large flat screen TV's with DVD player and I-Pod / MP3 jack (they even have a selection of DVD's for you to borrow). All in all - the room blew us away - it really made the difference for us being there for 3 days.
So to the food - for us we had two evening meals, one lunch and three breakfasts in the brasserie and one gala dinner in the function room (New years Eve). You can only describe the food as stunning - and i will explain why..... Seldom do you come across a place that offers a menu with such choice that the chef can execute flawlessly. Out of all the meals, i didnt have one single complaint. Everything was cooked and presented as if you are in a michelin starred place. You usually find that a chef can cope very well if the menu only has 4 or 5 selections - but here there were many many more - and thats whats most impressive.... the gala dinner was equally impressive. The main was fillet of beef - now you try cooking that flawlessly for over 100 people - well this chef did just that. Overall - the food was a real star - tasty, reasonably priced, well presented and served by expirienced enthusiastic staff.
And so lastly to the service, as i have you will often read on here things like 'nothing was too much for the staff'........ well i hate to be one of those that uses a cliche - but really - the service from the staff was flawless - from check in through to check out - no problems. the great thing though is that they really did take an interest in what i wanted. For example - at breakfast asking what i had planned for the day - and then offering tips and advice from their own expiriences. Now thats what i call great service.
I will sum up just by saying two things:
1. I wish i lived closer so i could stay more often
2. Thank you to all the staff at Norton - you made our New Year break a very very special expirience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Norton House Hotel & Spa, one of the finest country house hotels in Edinburgh and AA Hotel of the Year Scotland 2010. The perfect backdrop to any wedding in Scotland, this romantic venue will make your Scottish Wedding dream come true. Built in 1840, Norton House Hotel & Spa in Edinburgh, Scotland was always intended as a traditional country retreat, removed from the bustle of the city. This four star hotel in Scotland is just a 20-minute drive from Edinburgh city centre and a mere ten minutes away from Edinburgh Airport. Situated in 55 acres of grounds, Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh offers 83 bedrooms, including 36 luxury executive bedrooms, junior suites and the master suite. Norton House Hotel in Scotland offers a fine dining three AA Rosette Restaurant in Edinburgh and the popular contemporary Brasserie in Edinburgh. Norton House Hotel and Spa, four star hotel in Scotland is just a 20-minute drive from Edinburgh city centre and a mere ten minutes away from Edinburgh Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Norton House Hotel And Spa Edinburgh
- Norton Hotel Edinburgh
- Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh Scotland