1,594 results
All reviewsushers restaurantkingdom suiteexperience showerhandpicked hotelsexecutive roombrasserie restaurantgarden suitesteam roomclose to the airportpark and ridelovely hotelrelaxing breakwedding partyfresh milkleisure facilitiesbirthday treatfollowing morning
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on a business trip, the hotel was first class as were the staff. The food in the hotel was very good with a wide choice on the menu. i would stay here again on business or pleasure

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bellamolly
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

I am grateful to you for posting a brief review of your recent visit to Norton House Hotel and Spa for a business trip. Thank you for your kind words and I do hope that we see you back at our hotel shortly.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Great surrounds. Very attentive staff at wedding and reception. good food. and suite was good standard.
One small downside, the bar was very expensive and I left with three (20 cent) euro coins instead of pound coins. in my change. You'd think the staff would be more aware. I can understand one dud coin slipping through the net but not three.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank johnblack1960

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Norton House Hotel and Spa to attend a wedding. I am glad that you enjoyed the wedding. I take on board your comments regarding our pricing but I assure you that we conduct regular competitor analysis to ensure that our bar prices are representative of our quality and standards. I have mentioned you comment regarding the 20 cent coins to our team to ensure that there is no recurrence of this.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed here 20th oct ,we saw this hotel on secret escapes and wanted to go to edinburgh for our mini weekend honeymoon,so we looked on the hotel website to see what offers were on aswell.We picked the classic break as looked great value for £ executive room ,3 course meal and breakfast so we decided to book 2 nights,on emailing the hotel to let them know it was our honeymoon they upgraded our room to the edinburgh suite!
You wouldnt think hotel was there as went through industrial estate but theres nice drive through trees with fields around ,nice and secluded,with small gardens.On arriving the reception staff were friendly and helpful and we was helped with our cases to our room,which was bit of a walk through old part of hotel into new part,and 2 lifts away but expected as the room was top floor in new building,only 2 suites on the very top floors.
The room was fab ,very big,in my fav colours purple decorated nice and modern,with lovely windows going around half of room,leading onto big balcony where you see views of hotel but very private no 1 could see in room,would be nice on sunny afternoon with drink as table and chairs .Best room ive ever stayed in very big comfy bed,L shaped sofa, dressing table ,tv,dvd,and fridge [had free bottled water and milk bottle,not plastic long life pots milk!]Bathroom was lovely heated floors, shower bath with tv! free toliletries not cheap stuff get normally,even had dressing gowns and slippers.
Even offer turn down service at night to pull your bed back and shut your curtains but everytime came we had already done this as was dark and we was getting ready in our room so refused.
We ate in brassiere restaurant both nights the staff were helpful and hard working ,our meals were 5 star and plated artiscally ,didnt want to ruin the presentation,only moan was drinks were little high in price.Breakfast both mornings was nice ,drinks bought to your table ,service little slow on 1st morning had eaten nearly of breakfast before drinks and toast came out.Liked the idea of going up and food being served by cook,you could say how much food you wanted,but still could get cereals etc yourself.But on 2nd morn food had to be ordered from table and wasnt enough on plate.
We decided to have relaxing afternoon on arriving 1st day after our 5 hour drive,so went for swim jacuzzi etc,in spa, in different building to hotel ,small walk outside,service good, helpful.
2nd day went into edinburgh centre was recommended by reception staff to not drive into centre,[due to tram works being done], but to park at local shopping centre and get 22 bus,printed us details off computer,def good idea,cheap and quick approx 20 mins dropped us right by castle.
On leaving checking out was quick and only had to pay for drinks we had, as meals included in price we had paid before.Staff wished us safe journey home and had we had a good honeymoon plus welcome anytime,some hotels dont even say goodbye.To me these small things make the difference.
we have recommended the hotel to family and friends and def will be coming back to edinburgh with our daughter.

Room Tip: if have special occasion def stay in edinburgh suite ,look on hotel website for offers.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lisazippy

First of all may I congratulate you on your wedding and wish you a long and happy marriage. Thank you for reviewing your stay with us for your mini honeymoon; I am delighted you had such a lovely time. It was great that we were able to upgrade you to a suite for your stay. We do try to go out of our way when we know it is a special occasion. Unfortunately it is not always possible to upgrade guests but thankfully we were able to do so for you. Thank you for all of your kind words about our hotel and our team. I will ensure that your comments are passed on. I do hope we see you back at Norton House in the future.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

This hotel is ideal if you want to escape in style but don't want to travel for miles- it is very close to Edinburgh but near other major roads yet because of the extensive wooded grounds, is secluded and peaceful. I could have been anywhere in Scotland but it was great to be close enough to the city as I could meet up with friends in the evening easily.

It is luxurious without being ostentatious- understated and comfortable. My room was a classic but was really nice, very comfy bed, ultra modern bathroom, I really liked the fact that the room was cool- too many hotels crank up the heating and you are frazzled very easily! The only small negative was the tv didn't work- a loose wire I think, it was promptly dealt with by reception & maintenance staff in both occasions.

The staff deserve special mention as they were courteous, discreet but also with a sense of fun- very helpful with information when I asked about local buses and taxis into the city centre.

The food was really of a superb quality- dinner in the bistro struck the right balance between quality and quantity. Lunch in the spa was informal and again of a great standard without being too much to finish. I enjoyed breakfast both mornings in my room as room service- too self-conscious to eat alone in the restaurant- it was really tasty with the same range of choice as the breakfast menu in the restaurant/bistro. A small supplement to pay was well worth it.

The spa deserves a mention too- nice place to spend the day, beauty therapist very professional, lunch was good, all facilities excellent. I came away floating on a cloud!

Thank you to everybody at Norton House- I am about to book my next stay, I hope the staff are appreciated and told what a great job they are doing. Also regular bonuses or pay rises. I hope Julia Hands realises what a good team she has and puts her money where her mouth is!

Room Tip: My room was quiet- ground floor and tucked round at the back near the roundabout at rear of hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Thank you so much for posting a review on Tripadvisor following your stay with us in September. You really did make good use of many areas of the hotel and I am delighted that you enjoyed yourself. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Norton House Hotel and Spa is quite an imposing sight as you approach up the drive way. It's quite the stately pile and wouldn't look out of place in a costume drama!

I have had the pleasure of staying twice in the last couple of weeks whilst I've been away on business. I have thoroughly enjoyed myself on both occasions.

The staff are very friendly and helpful and upon checking in will escort you to your room and help you with any bags. This is pretty essential if you are staying in the 'old' part of the building as I found there weren't any lifts and plenty of stairs!

The rooms (in my case a standard double) are very well presented. On both of my stays I had a comfy double bed, seating area with table, large desk with integrated TV, chest of drawers and wardrobe. There was also a free-standing full length mirror.

The facilities are also good. You get a safe, fridge filled with water and a small bottle of milk (beats those UHT cartons!), iron and board, trouser press and plenty of spa toiletries in the bathroom. Nothing to grumble about there.

The hotel has a couple of restaurants and a bar where you can also order food. One restaurant offers fine dining whilst the brasserie offers a range of starters, mains and desserts. I ate here each night and found the food pleasant enough although I'm personally not a big fan of the 'fancy menu' (many of the items sounded a little pretentious e.g. compressed pears with walnut granolas, veloute, jus etc...perhaps I'm just a pie and chips kind of gal !!!). I was a little disappointed with the fish and chips as unfortunately the fish hadn't been particularly boned and I took a mouthful that was full of bones and had to spit the lot out to my great embarrassment. I was so put off I couldn't eat the rest. This was a small downside with the food though; the rest was absolutely fine.

A couple of negative points I'll mention relate to the 'old' building. Both myself and my colleague noticed a strong damp smell in our bathrooms; there was no obvious reason such as damp patches or mold however it was there nonetheless. We also noticed a ceiling tile in the corridor near his room (in the 100s) that was covered in damp and mold. This surprised me for a 4 star hotel and seriously needs addressing.

Another slight negative I encountered was on my checkout on my most recent stay. I was there on a room only rate however got charged automatically for two breakfasts I had not had. When I spotted this it was refunded straight away, however the receptionist shouldn't have assumed (interestingly, breakfast is served from 7am and I checked out at 7am, so I'm not sure how he thought I'd had a breakfast as I can't eat that fast!!!).

Despite these little niggles, I had a great time at Norton House and would highly recommend staying there. Perhaps next time I'll get to use the spa!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Ronnie_MacKay, General Manager at Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a balanced review of your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed both your visits. We have recently replaced all of the beds in the section of rooms you occupied so I appreciate you mentioning the comfort of your bed, along with all of the other facilities in the rooms. That area of the hotel is over three floors but you enter on the first so there is only one flight of stairs up or down to the other floors. We do indeed offer two different styles of restaurant as we understand that everyone has different tastes. I am glad that you enjoy the food in the Brasserie and I apologise for the bones in your fish. Whilst the chefs take every effort to ensure bones are removed, it is possible that some are not spotted. The fish and chips is a firm favourite in that restaurant. Thank you for pointing out the damaged ceiling board; this has been repaired.

Again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.