“Good but not great”

and 1 more site!
Kingsway Guest House
Ranked #12 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here on the recommendation of Rick Steves. The neighborhood is okay with a short walk to the bus that will take one into town. Restaurants and pubs are a 10 to 15 min. walk away. Our room and bath were small, with dirty marks on the wall and dirty bathroom grout. Otherwise, the room was clean enough. Breakfast was good, with a choice each morning one needs to make the night before. We had a cheesy omelet one morning and pancakes & bacon the next day. Both were good, with accompanying fruit, toast, etc. The owners do not live on the property so if you arrive after 6 pm, as we did, you have to let yourself in. They do give you a handy business card with a list of all the buses which will take you into town. This was perhaps the only B&B we stayed in on our 3-week trip where we never felt we really "met" the host and hostess. Too bad, as that is one reason we chose B&Bs for our vacation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
KWGH, Owner at Kingsway Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

We are rather perplexed as do indeed live on the premises! All our en-suites have been refurbished over the last two years and have grey or cream grout. Our out-of-hours check in procedure is only used when guests indicate they will arrive later into the evening giving them access at any time, although often we’re still available anyway. To date guests have always appreciated this flexibility.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We recently had the pleasure of staying here three nights with our kind, informative hosts. Our room was the best of our five b and b's in Ireland and Scotland for its bathroom (heated floor and towel rack!), and the bed. Delicious breakfasts as well.....great daily specials were a nice change. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Lovely guest house, very conveniently located. Our breakfast each morning was outstanding-elegantly prepared and presented. Gary and Lizzie are wonderful hosts with a thorough knowledge of their area. We were well treated and felt very welcome. Our rooms were very comfortable and very clean. We spent five nights there and left wanting more!

Room Tip: The rooms are en suite. We did not choose but were very satisfied with the two that we occupied.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I had heard some good reviews about Kingsway guest house and had written to Gary and Lizzie Scott, about my upcoming travel plans but unfortunately the guest house was booked during the first few days that I was planning on staying in Edinburgh. I ended up going to one other B&B close by.

The other B&B, was okay but somehow I never felt entirely welcomed the 2 days that I had stayed there. Turned out that I had to extend my stay in Edinburgh by another day and since it was a last minute change in plans, I was asked to find another place since they were "fully-booked". I had to go room hunting early in the morning on my vacation (my lack of planning so I completely take the blame..) when I came by Kingsway guest house and explained my situation to Gary. He was extremely courteous, polite and offered a room for me to stay!

I moved in that evening and was pleasantly surprised at how amazing/ comfortable the room was and best of all was the bathroom and the shower with all well-equipped with modern amenities. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here even if it was for only a day and promised to give a great review of the place so here it is!. The breakfast was delicious...they let me use the wireless for some last minute train reservations after I had checked out...and neither Gary not Lizzie were pushy about paying the bills. If I go back to Edinburgh I would absolutely stay here again and I'd recommend this place to anyone - who is looking for a B&B experience in a calm residential locality not too far from the royal mile and rest of the touristy stuff.

Cheers!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2013

In the last 13 years, I've spent about four months in Europe, cumulatively. This might be the best B&B I ever stayed in. Gary and Lizzie are friendly in a warm, and welcoming way, and are deep fountains of useful information. Our friend liked them so much, he came over to have breakfast with us, even though breakfast was served at his block away B&B.

There are steep stairs that lead to the rooms, but that's the only non-positive thing I can come up with, and I've never been in a B&B that did not have stairs.

The breakfast was tasty, and special breakfasts are offered each day, such as Eggs Benedict (poached eggs atop ham on toast topped with Hollandaise sauce). Their bulletin board is almost a guidebook in itself, especially with the hand drawn map Gary supplies to each guest (I still have mine) detailing nearby essentials such as laundrettes, cash machines, restaurants, grocers. Nearby is excellent public transport, and they are very well informed about it. They stored our luggage (at no charge) on the day of our late afternoon departure.

Rooms were exceptionally clean, as were all linens, towels, &c.

What a great place, and what a bargain! Our friend paid much more for a place he liked much less.

Room Tip: The Royal Commonwealth 50m public swimming complex, with long open hours, is a ten minute walk from...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed at Kingsway for three nights. I was warmly welcomed and treated well throughout my stay. I had a bright, attractive, comfortable twin room (#4) on the second floor, at the front of the property. It had its own clean, well-equipped bathroom; it was not en suite but was just across the landing and only I had a key. The breakfasts were delicious and food was plentiful. The bright breakfast room provided a wonderful opportunity to chat with other guests, and I met some lovely people there. The hosts were not very much in sight; while I knew they were accessible, I saw little of them except in the morning. Most requests for assistance were honoured; one seemed to have been forgotten. The location is a bit of a walk to the city centre but that was not an issue for me; also, bus service was very good. I have friends who will be travelling to Scotland this year, and I certainly will recommend Kingsway to them.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Beautiful bedroom and really clean, beds really comfortable, host really wecoming and nice. Close to the city center by foot (30min). A delicious breakfast ! and a really peaceful and quiet place. They even packed a breakfast for our second day because we were leaving early to take our flight. It was also delicious !

I can only recommand that place !

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends