The Ben Doran Guest House
The Scotsman Hotel(Edinburgh)
$156
$123
  • Room Service
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$168
TripAdvisor
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsbus stop oppositecity centreensuite roomguest house isday tickettea and coffee making facilitiesfrequent buseslovely roomfull scottish breakfasta lovely place to staypleasant staybuffet styleexcellent breakfastcomfy bedroyal mileprincess streetguesthouse
Reviewed December 2, 2013

After booking the Ben Doran, I then looked at the reviews, ( wrong way round I know ! ) and some reviews were awful. I need not have worried, the Ben Doran is a beautiful house, with a magnificent staircase. The owner Dr.Joseph Labaki is one of the most charming, pleasant and humble men we have ever met. He has written a book, which I look forward to reading as I'm sure it will be as interesting as the man himself. Thanks also to Alexandra who welcomed us and looked after us very well during our stay. We stayed in room 9 on the 2nd floor, 42 stairs in all so a bit of a haul if like us you're not as fit as you once were but what a staircase! Breakfast was fine, first time we had seen the warming plate kind of set up but it was good and the coffee was excellent. All in all a great stay, thank you to all at Ben Doran.

Room Tip: We recommend room 9, nice en suite shower!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2013

What I look for in a hotel or B&B is a friendly welcome, bit of TV, good nights sleep and the means to catch up on emails. This place fell short on all of those. It was pleasant enough accommodation and the price was right, I've certainly been in worse. However there was no desk in the room and the TV was tiny and perched on a dresser so I didn't bother with it. Wifi didn't connect once despite many attempts, and sleep was slow with continuous traffic and odd sirens going on plus noise from another room. Would suit heavier sleeper than me with limited budget and something better to do than watch TV or check emails.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I booked this "hotel" using one of the many web sites offering cut price hotel deals so I certainly won't complain about the price we paid. What I would say however is had I paid the full price I would have been somewhat dissatisfied with the hotels services, location and facilities. First of all this is a typical B & B guest house not a hotel. Parking is very restricted and if your unlucky to arrive when it's full then I really don't know where you'd park that's was convenient. As a hotel advertising itself. With on site parking this could be considered slightly mis leading. Limited of site parking might be a more accurate description. The welcome really wasn't that good. The guy who finally let us in through the locked entrance was difficult to understand and was some what confused with our booking. Two rooms for four people with the same surname seemed to through their manual booking system. The hotel was clean if a little scuffed with very dated decor. The rooms were very warm but comfortable with a sink, TV and tea making available in room. One small point which didn't bother our family party is that you have to share a bathroom. We shared as a family so it didn't matter to much but if you were sharing with strangers this might not be to everyone's liking. Breakfast is served sharp between 8:00 and 9:00am slightly longer on the Sunday but over all the choice of breakfast food available was of a high standard and well cooked. The staff are very keen to remove your plates etc which is a little off putting as they were prone to pounce before you'd put your cutlery down but we treated this as bit of a laughing point and it didn't spoil our enjoyment. The noise from the road upset our first nights sleep but after a second day of sight seeing and a visit to the international rugby we slept soundly enough. For the price we paid I was happy enough with the value for money we received. The hotel is not that close to the attractions the Royal Mile for instance is a good 30 minute walk away. There are however plenty of buses and taxis that aren't too expensive to use. My suggestion to the owners would be to improve their welcome and to make more effort to ensure people relax more during their stay. I've stopped in other similarly priced guest houses in Edinburgh before and can honestly say I've be made to feel a little better about my patronage.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2013

we stayed one night and was very pleased with the accommodation, extremely comfy king size bed and an extra blanket in the cupboard (which we did need) as it was a chilly night. Being in the basement on the front of the hotel we thought the noise from the road would affect us but we had a really good sleep. Bathroom on the small side but served its purpose. Breakfast was good with choices for cooked or toast and cereal etc.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2013

After I booked the Ben Doran, I decided to read some more reviews. Jings wis a noa disappointed? There was some really bad reviews with criticism of the decor, the breakfast and the staff. A needny huv worried. We had a great stay. The decor of the hotel could be described as auld fashioned. So what. Have ye seen ma hoose? Only kidding. We had no complaints about the decor. The room was fine with an excellent en-suite shower and bathroom. The room was on the first floor with quite a grand staircase. A thocht a wis in the movie, Gone with the Wind, when a walked doon it. Wee Rhett Butler fae Toonholm So the decor was fine, the room was fine and the staff were excellent. There was criticism o' the breakfast which I found unjustified . We both enjoyed the breakfast, with plenty on offer. The hotel is on one of the main bus routes into Edinburgh with the bus top into the city straight across the road and the return journey bus stop only 100 yards down the road. So nae complaints fae us aboot The Ben Doran as we had an excellent stay. We did The Mercat Tours, Ghost and Ghouls Tour and I would recommend it also. Aaargh!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple