“Lovely staff”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed October 14, 2005

I stayed to the end of September in Edinburgh. My company booked me into the Apex City hotel. I really cannot complain about anything, everything is just perfect. Lovely hotel, great location, and the staff is doing a grat job!

At 11pm I tried to ask for a wake up call for the morning. There were 2 european women (english was so awful) trying to check in. The receptionist explained them, the hotel was overbooked and they had just one room available but another one in their sister hotel down the road. He apologized for their situation, was polite and friendly. He offered different solutions but nothing was good enough for them. I couldn´t believe my eyes, one woman went behind the reception and shauted in his face.

Usually I am not that person to write bad experience in the internet, I have just heard their conversation, well, you couldn´t overhear it, and she mention to the male receptionist she would put their bad welcome into the internet.

He did a great job as I think its not always easy to work in the hospitality. You really must be born for this job, always be friendly and everything must be perfect even if you have a bad day.

Never mind, its not the hotels fault that the world has so many people without any behavour.

I am a regular guest, I still continue to stay in the Apex City, its not about the location or the great value for money, its their personality to guests! Here you aren´t just a number like in other hotels.

5  Thank travelinireland
Write a ReviewReviews (2,758)

Reviewed October 12, 2005

On September 28 I was booked into a different hotel which I usually should inspect. Unfortunately the hotel was overbooked and the hotel booked me into the Apex City Hotel. No comment hereby!

So I checked into the Apex City Hotel. The hotel has a super location and my room had a fantastic view over the castle. In the evening I went out as I couldn´t do my job. When I arrived back in the late evening I tried to get a drink in the bar. Unfortunately there were no seats left and the barman offered me to serve my drink in the lounge which I appreciated. At nearly midnight there were 2 european women trying to check in. The lounge is adjacent to reception and I heard something from there conversation. Usually I´m not that person to listen other peoples conversation but as inspector you´re nosy, especially how other companies train there staff in customer service. The receptionist was polite and very friendly even if he had to tell them the hotel was overbooked and there would be just 1 room left but another one in there sister hotel down the road.

Nothing was good enough, even if he offered them to book somewhere else with free transport. I couldn´t believe my eyes, one woman went behind the open reception and shauted in his face. I never ever have seen in my whole career that kind of person, I don´t think, she has a good behaviour in general.

I wish, the company, which hired us to check there standard, has these well trained staff. So well done and good luck for the future!!

3  Thank smf79
Reviewed September 27, 2005

We arrived late in the night and had a terrible welcome from one member of staff. He just told us that they were overbooked and that one of us had to go to another hotel - no apologizes, no nothing. We then complained and the sales manager apologized and made (more than) up for it.

Location is perfect - very close to the castle and within stepps from nice restaurants (special recommandation "maison bleue, victoria street - GREAT food and VERY nice desserts - JUST PERFECT!!).

Rooms are very nice, clean and rather modern. Most important for me is always the bathroom and I had a nice, spaceous shower and a separate bath.

If that bad welcome would not have happend I would give it 5 stars and more... but.... nevertheless I'll be going back very soon and hope for a better welcome!

Never mind - the hotel itself was very nice and has a perfect location, just that one member of staff....

9  Thank musli99
Reviewed September 11, 2005

Stayed at the Apex City for four nights. Read all the tripadvisor reviews beforehand and was a little wary about noise and housekeeping. Paid extra for a king size bed and castle view and when booking online I asked to be on the top floor. Soon as we opened the door to our room we were both very impressed with the presentation and quality of the room. Have stayed in many many hotels over the years (aswell as working in one as a student) and am very hard to please - but was really pleased with the cleanliness and ambience of my room. It really felt like home!. Although our room faced a side road (Heriot Way?) we still had a good view of the castle and even left the blind open at night so we could see the castle from the bed! If I had to mention any bad points it would be the fridge not working and no air con. My boyfriend thought we shoudl have sky sports as well (!). Shower was good, fittings and furnishings were all of good quality and well maintained. Fresh coffee was really nice too! Breakfast was also very nice - and the perfect start to the day. Not being used to city noise we found it a little noisy to start with but thats what you get for having a hotel so close to everything! Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2005
11  Thank poochy76
Reviewed September 8, 2005

We found the hotel to be in a very convenient location with a view of the castle outside our window and on the front steps of the hotel. We could walk to the castle and the old town of shopping & restaurants. The cooked breakfast was not so great some days but they provided a wonderful assortment of cereal and fruits. The room was very comfortable. I especially loved the walk-in shower and the rubber ducky left for us in the bathtub. The shortbread and tea was a nice touch left in our room each day. The staff was very helpful with directions, tours, etc.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank KellyLois
A TripAdvisor Member
Scotland
Reviewed September 5, 2005

I stayed at the Apex the night before an exam as I wanted a decent hotel within walking distance of the Royal College of Surgeons!

Checked-in at 1445 but since the room wasn't ready they offered me a drink in the bar. I'd requested a room in a quiet part of the hotel and was placed on the third floor towards the back of the hotel. Peace and quiet!

The room was spacious and comfortable. Bathroom contained some very nice toiletries and, yes, the rubber duck was there too! The only thing I missed was a fridge for the complimentary mineral water. However, you could request ice be brought to your room.

I had all my meals room service. Nothing spectacular but you pay for the convenience don't you?

The staff were helpful, calling you by your name. They also stored my luggage while I sat the exam.

Luckily I happened to be staying the night of the Firework concert at Edinburgh Castle. The lobby on the third floor had some comfy sofas and several guests enjoyed the fireworks display from there.

Overall a pleasant stay in stressful circumstances!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 1, 2005

I have just spent 3 days at the City Apex in an Executive King room. Good points: large widescreen TV, spacious bathroom with walk-in shower, pleasant staff, excellent location from where it is possible to walk everywhere.

Bad points: mattress too soft through which you can feel the springs; net curtains that were quite filthy from street dust; rather sparse choice of TV channels, and no movies-on-demand. DVDs are available to hire at £3.50 a go, and some of them were quite old movies (eg The Usual Suspects, Bridget Jones' Diary!), absence of safe in my room although the room description did list one.

On the whole I think this hotel is fairly ok to stay at but here are things to watch out for:

The hotel claims that some rooms have castle views. Although this is true, view is always partial and requires one to be quite near to the window of said room. For a much better castle view, one would be better to stay at the sister hotel, the Apex International, a few doors down the street, and request a room on 3rd floor and above.

Avoid rooms on the first floor if you want to avoid noisy crowds of people having coffee breaks in the elevator lobby (that floor also houses conference rooms), or noise coming from Grassmarket if your room is at the front of the building. Also, as another reviewer has already mentioned, a steep side street running by the side of the hotel means that the view from some of those rooms will, indeed, be nil, ie view of people's feet walking past!

Car park is free, but small (approx 10 spaces only) and on a first come first served basis.

Wireless high-speed internet access - £15 for a time chunk that runs from 2pm to 2pm. So if you start at 2pm, you will get 24 hours use for your £15, but if you start at, say, 12pm, you will only get 2 hours!!

• Stayed: September 2005