“Fantastic Hotel, first class service”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #39 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Having looked at a varitey of hotels for a short break to see the Tattoo, we made an excellent choice, had a twin room on the 4th floor with a view of the castle. A fridge was placed in the room to keep our drinks cool, linen and towels changed daily.
Bathroom good size with a separate shower.
Location close to castle in the old part of the city.
Plenty of bars and restaurants in the area.
Would recommend to all for value for money and service.

Room Tip: 4129 is a side view twin which had a separate shower, spacious and windows do open.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear Guest

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us felt you made an "excellent choice". We are always aware that Edinburgh has many hotels for visitors to select from and my staff try hard to make us a little bit different from the competition. Hopefully if you return to Edinburgh again in the future you will keep us in mind.

Thank you for your kind review.

Best wishes

There are newer reviews for Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We had made reservations months in advance then asked a day in advance if we could arrive 1 day earlier. We were told it would be OK but to check in the morning of our arrival which we did & it was still OK. When we arrived that evening we were told they were overbooked (along with others in the lobby) but their other hotel had rooms - at 100 pounds more per night! We were stuck! Why weren't we told that in the morning, the evening before, why did they overbook? Where were we going to find another hotel room for one night in a strange city, tired, after a long day of travelling? So along with the others we trouped up the their sister hotel and paid an exorbitant price for their manipulation of the hotel system and unsuspecting travelers!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Ramsay

Thank you for posting a review. I am however a little surprised by your comments as I am unaware of any guests being moved to our sister hotel under the circumstances that you have mentioned. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly by e-mail to clarify that you have the correct hotel I would very much appreciate it. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We visited the Apex this week for the Comedy Festival. You could not get a more perfect location for the festival and the Castle in fact for whatever you have planned in the city. This part of the city is seeped in history & atmosphere & the Apex is right in the heart. My husband booked this trip for my birthday present and unlike bigger chain hotels who have lost their personal touches this can Not be said of the Apex. From Magda at the front desk who was so so helpful giving us directions and top tips & wished me a happy birthday, to the birthday card & fresh fruit plate in our room Fantastic & thank you. The room was really nice absolutely fab view of the Castle & cowgate & spotlessly clean. Quality beauty products in the bathroom and wonderful large walk in shower & bath. We had breakfast and Vinny managed a busy breakfast service, wonderfully making time to welcome every diner personally and made sure we were looked after wonderful personal service. On checkout Magda again was wonderful and so friendly. I would recommend the Apex to anybody the staff are a credit to the management thank you for wonderful stay. See you again soon!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have a fantastic view of the Castle - they are also facing bars in c...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting such a fantastic review of the hotel - I very much appreciate you taking the time to leave such detailed feedback. I am particularly pleased that you found Magda and Vinni to be helpful and will make a point of thanking them and passing on your praise.

I am glad you liked your birthday card and enjoyed the fruit plate we placed in your room - perhaps we will see you again for your birthday next year?

Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

The room was at the back me the hotel and as I had the window open I was woken in the middle of the night by staff taking their breaks and talking rather loudly. there was a lot of nice in the morning from various truck and staff taking card of the laundry trolley The room was stuffy and I had to keep a fan on all night. those are my only downs all the rest are ups very clean staff very helpful restaurant excellent. location quite good if you mind steep hills or steps to get to high street

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Guest

It was good to read that you enjoyed your stay and found my staff to be friendly. My apologies however that you were disturbed by noise from the car park at the back of the hotel. I will make a point of reminding my staff of the need to be quieter as they go about their duties.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback and I do hope you will return again in the near future.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Short visit to see the Tattoo, booked direct on line and was surprised to receive a £10 to spend in the Hotel.
Check in and Dining room staff very helpful and friendly.

Nice Room but as are both getting older found getting in and out the Bath a bit of a problem - could do with a handle on the wall to assist - thanks for the Duck who is now with us in Spain.

Short walk to the Castle and lots of activity in the area.

Would stay here again

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Keith

Lucky old Bobby, our little green duck, to now be living in sunny Spain. Edinburgh has turned quite cool now and I am sure he is enjoying the opportunity to top up his tan!

Thank you for your kind feedback - I will take on board your suggestion regarding the bath and appreciate you taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Spent a few days in the Apex City with friends who had arranged this as a special 60th Birthday treat which incorporated tickets for the Military Tattoo. The hotel is ideally placed for visiting the lovely city of Edinburgh. Everyone was very helpful, the rooms excellent and hotel had a great atmosphere about it. Restaurant produced lovely food. Would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit Edinburgh and in August there is so much to see and do, with the Military Tattoo, Festival and Fringe as well as a host of usual sightseeing locations.

Room Tip: Room was lovely and quiet, but was at rear of the hotel. Would think that in August when the area is...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Dear John

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you had a great birthday! As you quite correctly mentioned we are situated very close to the Castle - which is very handy for guests visiting the Military Tattoo. I do hope you had a dry evening for the show? Should you return to Edinburgh again in the future please keep us in mind as we would love you to stay with us again..

Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed a week in Edinburgh and upgraded to a junior suite in the Apex City Hotel. A fine Experience.

The room felt fresh, clean and overall comfortable. The staff were helpfull and serviceminded. And they even offered to help us trace and find our lost suitcases.

Location is A1 and prices reasonable.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stiig
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear Stiig

It was nice to read that my staff offered to help you trace your lost luggage - I do hope you got them back safely? I am also pleased that you liked your Junior Suite and enjoyed your experience in Edinburgh. Hopefully it won't be too long before you return again.