“Busy week in Edinburgh”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed here for all last week whilst on business in Edinburgh with a colleague arriving Sunday and checking out today.

This hotel is in a great location just below the castle in the Grass Market where there are many eating places, boutique shops, pubs and a bustling atmosphere especially when the sun shone and we were lucky as the weather was mainly fair throughout our stay.

The staff were extremely friendly, attentive and welcoming but not at all intrusive. Special mention here of the bar and restaurant staff who welcomed us back each early evening like family members! We were looked after very well. Special mention here of Vinny, behind the bar, who was exceptionally welcoming and looked after us superbly! Thanks Vinny!

One of the advantages of the hotel was the 25% discount for residents, offered off all drinks and meals taken in the restaurant and bar when eating there. This proved excellent value and the set two course menu at £14.95 was more than enough for us each evening, with a good selection of starters, main courses and desserts that were very tasty and well presented. There was also the choice of a three course menu and an a la carte menu too to which the discount also applied.

The breakfast each morning was also great value with a mixture of buffet and table service for the cooked menu all included in our room rate.

There was a great variety to choose from with fresh fruits, including, fresh fruit salad, fresh pink grapefruit, orange and melon, a choice of fruit juices, breakfast cereals and yoghurt, continental meats and cheeses and a variety of bread choices too. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the eggs Benedict, which got me off to a great start most mornings, I also enjoyed the smoked poached haddock with an egg one morning too along with toast and coffee.

The bedroom was adequate, with enough space to move around and a large flat screen TV on the wall but it did take a while to get used to the very delayed response to switching it on! If you pressed the controls repeatedly the TV went into 'lock down' and had to be retuned! This happened repeatedly to me until I got used to switching it on and then going off to do something else whilst it did what it had to do to switch itself on!!

The bathroom, which included a wet room type shower, was fine. My only criticism was that there were no shower cap provided in the bathroom along with the shower gels and shampoos. I did like the touch of the green plastic duck which I have brought home for the grandchildren! There were towelling face flannels provided which were replaced each day, along with clean towels and bath mat.

The room was well cleaned each day and coffee, tea, and water restocked.

My only criticism of the bedroom itself was the heat! The room was boiling hot and stuffy. Very uncomfortable at times. This was with the heating turned right off the whole time. The window only opened a small distance and therefore did not allow any fresh air to circulate into the room even when left open all night, which was necessary as the nights we stayed were mild and humid. There was no air conditioning and it made an undisturbed sleep nigh on impossible. I found an electric fan in the cupboard, so I assume this must be a frequent problem. I kept the fan on full blast whenever I was in the room and had it directed at the bed all night, even sleeping on top of the duvet but still woke many times because it was still far too hot and stuffy. Surely air conditioning is not too much to ask?

One evening on our way too and from our rooms a few times, there was also a much larger floor fan sat in the middle of the corridor to the rooms, presumably to also try and cool the corridors down, rather unsuccessfully I'm afraid and much like in the bedroom, it only served to stir the hot air around and did not make the place any cooler at all!

The bed, however, was very comfortable with feather pillows. There was a good and powerful hair dryer provided which was slightly annoying as I had specifically rung the hotel the day I flew up to Edinburgh to enquire if the hotel had an unfixed plug - in hair dryer and not one of those fixed ones that are often provided in hotels on which you have to keep your finger pressed down to operate it. Whoever I spoke to went off to find out and told me unfortunately the hairs dryers were of the fixed type and so I had packed my own in my already bursting suitcase! As it turned out unnecessarily as the hair dryer was not of the fixed type after all!

All this being said I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and in fact much preferred into the Apex International a few doors down the street where we had stayed for a week last years on similar business.

I will definitely return to stay here if I need to visit Edinburgh again, both for business or pleasure, especially if it is in the cooler seasons!!!

Room Tip: View of castle from rooms at the front of the hotel, but my room on the 4th floor was at the back wh...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SmthyP
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear Peta

Thank you for leaving such a detailed and precise review following your stay with us. I really appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback.

I am particularly pleased that my staff looked after you so well and I know that Vinni will be happy when he reads your praise! My apologies however that you found your room to be quite hot. Unfortunately when the hotel was built it was not felt that Edinburgh's climate warranted the installation of air conditioning and it is only now, with climate change, that it is being recognised as possibly a short sighted decision. Fortunately, we don't have too many hot and humid days in Edinburgh which is when this can be a problem in some rooms.

My apologies over the confusion with the hair dryer. I am unsure why my staff member told you that our hair dryers need to be held on when in actual fact we offer quality hair dryers in every room. I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced by having to bring your own dryer.

Hopefully you will return to Edinburgh again soon as I note that you will happily come and stay with us again.

kind regards

Lindsay Sturrock

Write a ReviewReviews (2,772)

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at the Apex City for the third time in the last year. Every time it has been a great trip.It is located on the Grassmarket. Many great attractions are within 15 min walking distance. The bar is nice and tidy althought I have not tried the resturant yet. There are many cheaper delicious options for breakfast across the street.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Dwight

Thank you for a very nice review of the hotel following your 3rd stay with us. It is always satisfying to read a positive review from a returning guest as I appreciate that Edinburgh has many hotels to select from and when a guest returns it really does mean they have enjoyed their stay.

Thank you so much for your loyalty and I do hope you return again very soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Excellent location for Tourist in Edinburgh. Just completed a 4 night stay at the Apex City Hotel in Edinburgh with my family. The location sits below the Edinburgh Castle & the Royal Mile in the heart of the Old Town. You can walk to almost every tourist site in Edinburgh. There are many pubs and restaurants across the street from the hotel. We requested & were given 2 interior rooms to ensure a good night sleep because of past reviews stating that the castle/street view rooms could suffer from loud street noises. We were totally isolated from that and slept very well. I will note that you don’t have any view at all except of a courtyard. The rooms are not large but efficient & clean. The bed, linens & pillows were comfortable. The bathroom was nice and featured a walk in shower (I prefer this much more than a tub with a half glass door) and nice toiletries. The front desk was very informative & helpful. In fact I had a problem with a luggage lock and the front desk lady came up and personally solved the problem for me. We had a rate that included breakfast and it was sufficient. You can order eggs and omelets. The rest of the buffet is rather basic but sufficient. It also provided free Wi-Fi. I would recommend staying at this hotel for sightseeing in Edinburgh. It was a good value for the money spent!

Room Tip: If you book thru the hotel, they will give you a 10 Pound credit to use during your stay.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank JimLag

Dear Jim

Thank you for posting a kind review of the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found your rooms to be quiet and disturbance free. I'm also glad that you let us know in advance that you would prefer a quiet room at the rear of the hotel in preference to a front facing room. We always appreciate knowing in advance our guests' preference as it helps us to ensure they have an enjoyable stay.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Myself and my wife travelled from Stafford and stayed two nights over the weekend in a Master suite. Although it wasn't the cheapest hotel around, we couldn't fault the accommodation. Lots of space, a huge bedroom with a large flat screen TV, decent size bathroom with separate shower. A large lounge/diner with another large flat screen TV and three windows looking out over the hustle and bustle of Grassmarket. The whole suit was spotless!
The Staff were VERY helpful with recommending places to visit. They even phoned a couple of places and booked them for us.
The bar and dining staff were also pleasant and nothing was too much trouble. Drinks and food were excellent although a little pricey. This was however accompanied by a 25% discount voucher on in house purchases which was very welcome.
This hotel is ideally situated within easy reach of most city centre attractions.
The only minor issue we had was being woken at 3.30am by load drunken voices in the street below as they entered the taxi rank outside the hotel. Having said that. It is in the city centre so is to be expected and not too much of a problem.
One observation we made was a definite lack of Scottish staff employed, not just in the hotel but generally around Edinburgh. Definitely not a criticism just an observation as all contributed to making our weekend very special.
We loved the hotel and city so much that we would defiantly recommend and will be back next year.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a very positive review of the hotel following your recent stay with us. The title of your posting says it all and I am really pleased you had a great time in Edinburgh. Our suites do offer a fabulous view of the Castle and I am glad you found your room to be clean and spacious. I am also pleased you found time to use the 25% discount voucher reception presented to you upon arrival. Edinburgh can be an expensive City and it is always good to be able to reward our customers for their loyalty.

Thank you for recommending the hotel and hopefully you will find the time to return again soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I got married here a while ago and the hotel staff, the booking service, the food was all perfect. I still haven't been back but I love this hotel in this wonderful city. It's location is the Grassmarket which is my favourite area to stay in Edinburgh and couldn't recommend this place more highly!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the castle if you want the view, however remember it faces the Grassmarket so...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

It was really nice reading how much you enjoyed your wedding here at the hotel and that you felt we looked after you well. It's just a shame you have not had the opportunity to return, but hopefully you will find the time to rectify this in the very near future.

I do hope married life is treating you well and you will come back and see us again very soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Location is ideal for the first time visitors to Edinburgh. Right next to the old town, close walking distance to Royal Mile, stones throw away from the Edinburgh castle. Also, great pubs (wide selection of whisky and great food) right across the street. Our room was clean and fairly well kept and staff were helpful and courteous.

One major complaint I had was the fact that there was no way to circulate air in the room. First night we were there, it was fairly warm and even with the windows open it was hard to fall asleep (and stay asleep!). The bathroom also didn't feel like it had a fan, so after each shower the room would heat up with damp air, which was not very pleasant.

I don't think I would stay here for a summer visit given how easily the room heats up, but for a first time visit in Edinburgh in the spring it was pleasant enough.

One thing that was a bit confusing was, grabbing breakfast at the hotel on our last day. If you're planning on having breakfast, it's supposedly cheaper to pay ahead than at the restaurant. However, when we ate at the restaurant and settled our bill we were charged the lower price that the front desk had told us. When we asked about it, the restaurant staff told us it was flat price. I'm not sure who was wrong on this, but you might want to double check the price of your breakfast if grabbing at the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the street would be quieter (crowd leaving the pubs can be a bit loud at nigh...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay at the hotel. I am sorry you found your room a little warm, but I am glad you enjoyed our very central location. Unfortunately our rooms don't offer air conditioning and can sometimes get a little hot on a humid day. The bathrooms however do have extractor fans so I am unsure why you bathroom took a while to clear. If you have a moment please let me know your room number and I will have the fan checked by my Maintenance Manager. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk.

With regard to breakfast I am sorry about the confusion over price. What you were told by reception is actually correct and breakfast costs only £10.00 per person when booked in advance. I have now identified the member of staff that has been giving out the mixed message and have had them retrained. Thank you for pointing this out.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

lovely staff from check in to bar staff to room keeping to breakfast,fantastic room although we looked onto an office but you are smack in the centre of Edinburgh you shouldn't expect any sea view...
we had a meal deal which involved an evening meal,the meal was fantastic as was the breakfast

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

I was really pleased to read that you liked all aspects of your stay with us and appear to have enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh. Should you return again in the future please let us know when you make your booking if you would prefer a front facing room with a view of the Castle and we will do our best to accommodate. It is always good to hear guests preference as it helps us to ensure they enjoy their stay.

Thank you for your review and I hope you will return again soon.