“Can't fault it!”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #42 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is the second time we've stayed here and it really is excellent. We stayed 2 nights and upgraded to a suite. The location in Grassmarkets is perfect if you want to be where there's loads going on. The rooms are so comfy - the suites are incredible value and have wonderful views of the castle. But it's the service that's the best - the staff cannot do enough to help. I booked a tour through the reception prior to arrival and Lucie was great - sorted everything out - phoned to confirm and when we checked in she was there there with the paperwork. It's the little things that makes this place so good, like when I bought a couple of bottles of water from the bar to take out with us the barman said "you'll be needing this" and gave me a bottle opener - very thoughtful.
I hope the rest of the Apex chain can live up to the City Hotel - I am aiming to try one in London to see.
Thanks for an excellent stay again. We cant wait to visit again.

Room Tip: There are great upgrade to Suites on offer. The suites are very nice and spacious with views over G...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank FYL67
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for returning to the Apex City hotel - it was good to read that you enjoyed your stay and liked your suite. I particularly appreciate your kind comments about my staff and know they will be pleased by your feedback. Edinburgh has many hotels to select from and it is often the staff that can make the difference.

Our hotels in London are all very nice and I am sure you will enjoy your stay just as much. Our Apex Temple Court is the newest Apex in London and is certainly worth considering.

I do appreciate you taking the time to leave such a lovely review and hope you will return again soon.

There are newer reviews for Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel

Reviewed April 7, 2014

This place is terrific AND finding a nice place in Scotland for a decent price is a surprise . Location is terrific for tourists , just a short walk (uphill ) to the a Royal Mile and the Castle . Lots of good restaurants nearby . The physical plant is very nice . Good ( not great) bed . Service is terrific . There was a small glitch when we arrived ( too small to mention ) they immediately offered us free breakfast ( Scottish breakfast worth £13.50 each ) and gave us a 25% off coupon for the rest of our trip AND fixed the glitch in no time . The food in the restaurant was very good and reasonably priced . WIFI is full strength with no problems during our 3 day stay . No safe in the room but you can put your valuables in a secure bag behind the desk ( a safe would be better ) . The staff are wonderful , every one of them . Almost forgot we were in Scotland .

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rdmiller_pcj

Dear Guest

Having noticed how many reviews you have left on Tripadvisor I am really pleased that you have awarded us with 5*****stars. It is always good to receive positive feedback from a seasoned traveller and I will ensure my staff are made aware of your kind comments about the service they provided.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I do hope you will stay with us again should you return to Edinburgh.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed for two nights. The hotel is in a great location with all major attractions being a short walk away. Breakfast was great, nothing too much trouble, great service. The rooms & hotel was too hot with heating on constantly and no aircon in the rooms which made sleeping a little uncomfortable. I would recommend this hotel & would stay there again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Craven1608

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked the hotel and would stay here again. My apologies that you found your room a little warm - we have now turned down the heating which should make it more comfortable without being too cold during the night.

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed a couple of nights. Great location. Staff are excellent. Very good service. Rooms are spacious. Our bed was a bit too soft for my liking so not the most comfy. The breakfast was very good! Generous portions. Nice ingredients! I had Scottish one day and smoked haddock another. Free wifi. My only gripe is this place needs to regulate the heating as we were all too hot and there was no air con in the rooms. I would stay again. Please let me know if this review was useful as it will keep me motivated to write more. Thanks.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and found my staff to be "excellent". I have also noted your comment regarding the temperature in your bedroom and will ask my Maintenance Manager to review the bedroom heating. The weather appears to be changing for the better and we may need to adjust the heating accordingly. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I am disabled and the hotel staff were excellent. From Justyna providing excellent service at breakfast to Ashley giving all the help she could at dinner. The food provided by Alex was really good. The hotel itself was clean , comfortable and in an excellent position if you like to walk out in the evening. Bars and entertainment all around. You can get tour buses at the bus stop opposite. This place has everything you need.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Robbie

Thank you for your very kind review. It was good to read that my staff looked after you well and you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make a point of passing on your praise to Justyna, Ashley and Alex as I know they will be pleased that their names were mentioned.

Your review is very much appreciated and I do hope you will return again in the near future.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Enjoyed our second visit to Apex City last week. Can't fault it - room was spotless, all the staff we encountered were exceptionally friendly and helpful and breakfast was excellent, cooked to order and with plenty of choice. We had a lovely room on our first trip to Edinburgh last year but wanted a better view of the castle this time around and they couldn't have been more helpful or happy to accommodate our request and the room of our choice was ready on arrrival with a lovely welcome. Grassmarket is a great spot but very lively into the small hours at the weekend so choose a room at the front for an amazing castle view or a room further back if you prefer a quiet night. Definitely worth booking direct, we used the £10 voucher towards a delicious meal in the hotel restaurant. Can highly recommend the Apex City, in fact we're already planning to return in the autumn.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a brilliant view of the castle but can experience late night noise from Gras...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Janet

Thank you for your review of the Apex City hotel. I am really pleased that you are returning to us again in the Autumn and if you let me know which room you would prefer to stay in I will make sure it is allocated for your arrival.

I look forward to welcoming you back and if I can be of any assistance please just let me know.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Central location to castle, but have to go up steps. Would not recommend Edinburgh for disabled or poor walkers as very hilly and lots of steps, but fantastic place to visit and good hotel. Rooms very clean with tea/coffee making, water, iron, hairdryer,soap, shampoo and conditioner. Fast running warm shower. It was my birthday and got castle view and free glass of wine for 2 in bar. Also get 25% off restaurant when stopping at hotel. 2 x 3 course meals plus bottle of wine cost 34 with discount - good value. But would have liked a different sauce with the lamb. Full english breakfast with everything £10. Staff lovely and friendly - would stop there again and would recommend.

Room Tip: Book room at front of hotel to get castle view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Angela

Thank you for recommending the hotel following your recent stay with us. I'm glad you liked your meal and enjoyed the complimentary birthday drinks! The 25% discount voucher certainly helps to make us good value.

Your review is very much appreciated and I do hope you will return again soon.