“Excellent Hoel & Location”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed February 22, 2014

From check in to leaving was a pleasure. Modern hotel overlooked by Edinburgh Castle with steps literally across the road leading directly to the Castle. The bedrooms are modern & spacious with separate bath & shower area. Toiletries & hairdryers supplied. The food was second to none & we were provided with a 25% discount card for our food for our length go stay. Breakfast was also excellent. The staff are very friendly & nothing was too much trouble, providing us with directions, advice for attractions, booking of taxis & even keeping our bags on the last day. The surroundings are bustling with bars & restaurants and we feel we couldn't have chosen a better hotel, it's already on the agenda for next year.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wexfordtraveller
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting such a great review on Tripadvisor - reviews like this are really important to me as they are the views of real guests that have stayed and can offer firsthand experience of the bedrooms, restaurant and my staff.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I do hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Lindsay Sturrock

Write a ReviewReviews (2,701)

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

I had stayed here on my sister in laws hen a few years back and thought it was a great location ,so when me and my boyfriend were coming to Edinburgh I booked it again!I asked for a castle view room and I got it,the room was big enough and great complimentary water,biscuits,herbal teas and hot chocolate!the room was made every day.The only flaw was because we were late arriving that night we ate in the hotel restaurant and the food wasn't great but other than that.....perfect!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Oonagh S

Dear Oonagh

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you returned to us again and once more enjoyed your stay. My only disappointment is that you did not enjoy your meal. I do hope you will accept my apologies and I will make a point of passing on your comments to my Head Chef. If you have a moment I would very much appreciate it if you could drop me an e-mail to let me know what it was you had to eat. We can make any necessary improvements to our menu. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk.

My thanks again for your review and I do hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at the Apex City Hotel. I had booked it a year ago due to coming to Edinburgh to see a show. Room was lovely, very spacious, bathroom big and clean too. We had a room at the back so was quiet. Tea/coffee facilities great, plenty of choice and liked the bottles of water also. Hotel is in a great location at the Grassmarket, plenty of pubs and restaurants very close by. We didn't use the restaurant but had a drink the bar - used the £10 voucher which is a lovely treat you receive when you book through their actual website, plenty of choice and lovely cocktails. Will def stay here again on returning to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Back room was quite quiet, no view but if it's just to stay in then what does it matter
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leezl

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for leaving a 5***** star review following your stay at the hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, plan to return again in the future and managed to use the £10.00 food and beverage reward voucher you received for booking directly through our website.

Next time you stay please let us know if you would like the same room again and we will do our best to ensure your request is accommodated.

kind regards

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We have just returned from Edinburgh and stayed in Apex City which was a really nice hotel. I have stayed in Apex International which is a 1 minute walk away and while it has more to offer the city is every bit as good. We asked for a room of castle and got it. Room was a reasonable size, not huge but big enough not to feel like there is no space to move. Rooms cleaned daily and reception staff are very pleasant. We didn't eat in restaurant but did have breakfast one morning which is great and only £10 for a choice of continental and cooked. Location is perfect in my opinion, the old town has lots of character and sights. For example High St is 3 min walk away and castle is about 5 minutes but if you do want to go to princess street then it is no more than 10-15 walk. I would definitely stay here again as it is great value for money and a good base for exploring.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank time_traveller81

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting a very nice review of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay as much as when you visited the Apex International hotel next door. As we are a more intimate size than the Apex International we do try to offer a more personal service with the added benefit that our guests can also use any of the facilities at the Apex International without charge.

I do hope that you will return to Edinburgh again soon and will be pleased if you stay at any of our four Edinburgh hotels.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Only stayed here for a night. I booked direct with the hotel, with a request for an early check-in as we were arriving very early in the morning. We got to the hotel at about 9 am or so, and they had a room ready for us, which was fantastic.

The hotel is in a great location, the rooms are very clean, staff are v friendly, beds are comfortable. And the £10 voucher for booking directly with the hotel doesn't hurt :-)

Only downside? I guess the water pressure in the showers could have been stronger.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ScanDuck

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you managed to take advantage of our £10.00 food and beverage reward for booking directly through our website. I always encourage guests to check our website before they book as we offer a best rate guarantee and, as the £10.00 voucher has no minimum spend attached, it really is just our way of thanking guests for booking directly.

Your review is very much appreciated and I do hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We just got back today, 15th after a 3 night stay. I have to say I didn't know what to expect as was a present from my boyfriend. I couldn't have been happier.. Brilliant location, friendly staff, clean open and fresh decor. I especially loved the little touches like the galaxy hot chocolates in the room, still and sparkling waters, selection of teas.. Really good hair dryer not the usual tiny ones I normally get in hotels.. Walk in shower aswell as a bath and my favourite.. A rubber duck! We ordered room service for breakfast on two mornings.. Great selection of food and plenty of it too.. The young lady who came up with our breakfast was incredibly friendly also it was only a pound or two for this service altogether which is amazing compared to other hotels. The rooms were immaculate, great big tv and lovely big heated towels.. All in all I can't say enough, couldn't have been happier.. Would definitely stay here again and again.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Grainne-car

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind review of the Apex City hotel. I am glad you had a great time in Edinburgh and hope you are looking after Bobby - our little green duck? Please remember that Bobby gets lonely without friends and you can always pick up a little brother or sister for him when you stay at any Apex hotel (I have heard that Bobby has a particular fancy for Shirley - the little red duck from our Temple Court hotel in London).

I do appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel and hope you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Booked my room in March 2013 for the highland show booked the city double because had the same room in 2011 and the differences were vast. The 2011 room was very spacious with a very big bathroom and a great view of the castle. Whereas in 2013 the room was half the size with slanted roof and my partner kept hitting his head when he got out of bed and the bathroom was tiny there was no room to swing a cat and our bags were delivered to the wrong room and the worst thing is I paid more for a tiny corner room

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kristen S

Dear Kristen

I was disappointed to read that you did not like the room you were allocated for your stay with us last summer. I am just sorry you have taken so long to let me know as I would have been pleased to have had the opportunity to change your room during your stay. Our policy, should a guest be unhappy with their room, is to offer an alternative at the earliest opportunity. Within the hotel we can offer rooms in varying styles and sizes as well as particularly quiet rooms or rooms with a view of the Castle. If you stay with us again please let us know your preference and we will do our best to accommodate.

If you plan to return for the Highland show this year please contact me directly so that I can ensure you receive a similar room to the one you were allocated in 2011. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk.

I do hope that you will stay with us again and afford me the opportunity to ensure you receive a room that is to your satisfaction.