“Perfect hotel on a great location with great service”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #44 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Perfect hotel on a great location with great service”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Apex City is a great hotel to stay for a weekend in Edinburgh. Especially the location is perfect! Right on the Grassmarket, in the middle of the Old Town. Everything is on walking distance. It takes about 2 minutes to climb to Castle Hill and about 10 minutes to walk to Princes St. - the main shopping district of Edinburgh.

The check in was very fast and efficient. Karolina was lovely and pointed out some highlights in the city we should visit. I emailed a couple of days before to request a room with castle view. Upon arrival the actually allocated this room to is, which was amazing. Not many hotels I've stayed listen to guest request. When checking out, Angie was very friendly and helpful by ordering us a cab. She seemed genuinely interested in how we experienced our stay, which is a very rare thing!

I've stayed in several Apex hotels, but unfortunately, the restaurant wasn't very good this time... As we checked in early in the morning, we wanted to have some breakfast. However, we were refused by one of the waiters as we didn't have a room allocated yet. "We don't do walk-ins today." A bit rude if you are staying in the hotel and just had a long journey. During our stay, we ordered room service for breakfast twice. The room service was delivered by the same waiter that refused us the day before. Again, he wasn't friendly at all. Not rude, just no smile, no chat. He just popped the tray on the bed and walked out. Both times, our order wasn't correctly delivered. I asked for croissants and lemon in my tea, but got danish pastries and a cup without lemon. The second day my friend ordered pancakes with blueberries, but got them without.

The room, however, was lovely. Very spacious and comfortable with a big wardrobe, complimentary water, a king-size bed (European size, so not that king-size unfortunately) and a perfect bathroom with seperated bath tub and walk-in shower. However, the maintenance on the bathroom floor should be improved. Another tiny disadvantage is that we received only 1 bottle of shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel, although we booked a room for 2. Plus, we didn't have any body lotion, which is mostly a standard thing provided by luxury hotels.

All with all, Apex City is an absolutely great hotel to stay in. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Edinburgh!

Room Tip: I always appreciate a good view when staying in a hotel. About a week before my arrival I emailed th...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am pleased you would "definitely recommend us to anyone visiting Edinburgh”. I am, however, concerned about your comment regarding the waiter that served you breakfast. Normally we pride ourselves for the positive comments we receive regarding friendliness and helpfulness and, while Karolina and Angie appear to have been good ambassadors, I am very keen to identify the waiter that let us down. With this in mind I would very much appreciate it if you could advise me which room you stayed in so I can establish who delivered your room service. I can then arrange for further customer care training to be carried out. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk and I very much look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed in the apex city hotel for 3 nights,have to say great location but was a bit annoyed with the housekeeping staff, we left our room at 9am two of the three mornings and did the touristy things! Edinburgh castle is a must see and the royal yacht is another, we arrived back at 5.30/6pm and our room was still the way we left it and we had to ask for it to be serviced on both occasions, not really good enough for a 4star hotel, the reception staff were friendly when you were checking in, but the fact that the reception was to the side you could nip in and out and not a greeting to be seen or heard until you were checking out! Over all it was just the location that would take us back to this hotel. And it is a pitty because this was a special occasion trip for us.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you liked our location and found us handy for all the great sights Edinburgh has to offer.

My apologies that your room was serviced so late during your stay. We always try to service departures first so that guests arriving can enter their room as early as possible. This, however, does not excuse your room being cleaned as late as it was. I will make a point of investigating with my Head Housekeeper the circumstances so we can avoid it happening for future guests. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I do hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you stay in Edinburgh.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This hotel really is in a great spot for exploring Edinburgh. It is in Grassmarket, in the heart of the Old Town, with views of the castle from the bar and some of the rooms.

We booked room only, as there are lots of little eateries nearby (Hula is particularly good for breakfast). This worked out cheaper than eating in the hotel.

The rooms are nice: plenty of space (my husband and I were sharing with our 4 year old), immaculately clean and well maintained. The bed and pillows were really comfy, and there is free Wifi.

In spite of its historic location, this is not a 'character' hotel, but if you are planning on spending a lot of time out exploring, it is an ideal base. The room was also nice and quiet which is a very pleasant surprise when staying in the middle of a busy city.

Reception staff were really friendly: my little daughter was given a 'princess' welcome pack on arrival which she loved (as did we, because it kept her occupied while we unpacked!) A nice touch which took away some of that chain hotel blandness that some big hotel groups are guilty of.

A great stay

Room Tip: Our room (3134) did not have a castle view, but it was nice and quiet because it didn't overlook...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Monty-Hawke
Dear Guest

I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and you felt my staff made your daughter feel welcome.

I have also noted from your review that you did not dine with us as you felt it may be cheaper to eat out-with the hotel. Should you stay with us again please remember that if you book directly, using our best rate guarantee, we will reward you with a £10.00 dining voucher that can be used against food or beverage of your choice within the hotel. We also offer a full hot and cold breakfast selection for only £10.00 per person, when pre-booked at reception, and two people can enjoy a 3 - course meal in our rosette restaurant for only £30.00 - and children eat free!

Thank you for your review and I do hope you will stay with us again soon.

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We recently stayed for a long weekend and were met by friendly and helpful staff. The room size was average but the bathroom was of a very good size with both a bath and a walk-in shower. We found the bed and bedding to be a little hard and uncomfortable but that may be taste. The rooms are well appointed with sockets and light, and kept clean with daily visits from the cleaning staff. We had breakfast included with our room and were pleased to see that it was menu options rather than the increasingly common buffet only options. The cooked breakfast selection was pretty good as well as continental options available as a buffet and fresh juices. The location is fantastic - within walking distance to the main town, shops/restaurant area, Waverley Station as well as the Castle and other tourist attractions. Would happily recommend to anyone looking for a convenient and reasonably priced hotel for a weekend stay.

Room Tip: North (window) facing rooms have a view of the Castle
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sus86london
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Guest

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, found our location central for all the places you wanted to visit and are happy to recommend the hotel to your friends.
I do appreciate you taking the time to write a review and I hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013

me and my wife.have been going to edinburgh,for the last ten years 3 times a year.booking train in advance[cheaper]we eventually.came across.this gem.manager mr lyndsay sturrock and his staff.make your stay .very comfortable.breakfast great.even have haggis cake.on it if you want give it try you will be suprised.evening meals very nice.and drinks reasonable good location to see every attractions.hotel is nice and quiet at night.also there is a host of bars and restaurants straight.over the road.hotel located ten minutes walk.from waverley train station.lookig. forward.to going back for a long weekend.just before xmas. hotel also has a car park

Room Tip: ask for a high room on side street.you have a lovely view of edinburgh castle
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ronwatts
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind comments about the hotel and my staff. It is fantastic to read that after all these visits to the Apex City you enjoy your stay as much as ever. It's also interesting that you have developed a taste for haggis - I will make a point of saving a large portion for you when you come to stay with us at Christmas!

Thank you for your review and I look forward to seeing you again in a few weeks.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013

we stayed as a family in 2 rooms for 3 nights in the October school holidays. Rooms fine, though in ours we had to use the sofa bed for our 9 year old which she said was the most uncomfy thing she has slept on! All other amenities in room were good - e.g. toiletries, tea/coffee/water etc. Shower nice and powerful, tv worked fine.

Just was a bit inconvenient that although I had booked the 2 rooms together, one was on the 1st floor and the other on the 3rd. We had no view whatsoever, just the side of a building.

Breakfast was included in our rate and there was an excellent choice of continental and cooked breakfasts. Had the full Scottish on 2 mornings and that did us til the afternoon. Only complaint about the restaurant was the temperature - really cold!

A bonus for us was that I had bought 2 "itison" vouchers to dine in the Agua restaurant in the hotel (where you have breakfast as well) - 2 courses for 4 people & a bottle of wine all for £55 (instead of £126). This was excellent value and even included the sirloin steaks on the menu. The food was very good. The restaurant was quiet on the occassions we ate there, that is probably why they are using promotions like this. Anyway that didnt bother us and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful - even substituting one of the veggie mains for from the other menu for granny.

The bar area is an extension of the restaurant near the front door - also extremely cold here, think the air con was on......so on a wet late afternoon we could only manage one glass of wine each - just as well as it was £8.30 for a large glass of pinot grigot!!

What made this hotel great for us was the accommodating friendly staff at breakfast and dinner.
Also the Grassmarket has a good buzz about it and is only a 15 minute walk to Princess Street.

Room Tip: I think you have to book a suite to get a room with a view of the castle. Otherwise keep the curtain...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank donna W
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be good value. I am sorry that we did not manage to arrange for your rooms to be closer together. Unfortunately we only have a limited number of family rooms and this may have been the reason why we could not get you closer. I am also concerned that your daughter did not find her sofa bed very comfortable as I am not aware of any that have faults. With this in mind I really would appreciate it if you could possibly drop me an e-mail with a note of the room you stayed in so that I can have the bed checked and repaired. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk.

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Apex during our stay in Edinburgh recently. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable, quiet and walking distance to restaurants and tourist attractions on the Royal Mile. (As with all of Edinburgh, a walk is usually up or down a hill.) I long staircase is located across the street up to the Royal Mile. Check in was professional but no extra information was offered and I get the impression they normally deal with business travelers. Minor complaint - we only got one bar of soap (there were 2 of us) and had to ask for another. As rooms go, this was probably the best appointed hotel we stayed at during our trip. I was glad we chose the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gladrad328
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review - I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Personally it was very pleasing to read that you felt we were the "best appointed hotel" that you experienced during your trip to the UK. I am also glad that you found the hotel convenient for visiting the many interesting sights Edinburgh has to offer.

Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel and I hope you will consider staying with us again should you return to Edinburgh in the future.