“Reasonable price in a good position.”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #42 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are average size for a city hotel but clean and tidy. Complementary bottles of water, tea and coffee were provided. The toilet had a bath and wet room. The TV would not switch on but a phone call to reception sorted it out very quickly. The bed was too soft and springy for me but may suit others. The rooms only have heating but I find that, even in Winter, hotels can be warm, so for me they really should think about installing Air Con, to give guests more choice on the temperature of the room. They make good use of their position and even in our side room we could see the Castle (just). The hotel is just a short walk from the Royal Mile and Castle and maybe 15min walk from Princes Street. There are lots of pubs and restaurants nearby. Even midweek there is plenty of live music on offer a short stagger from the Hotel. The cooked breakfast was served to the table, no buffet dried up food here. Our table at the front window had a great view of the Castle. Unfortunately there are only two tables at the window but great if you can get one of them. Even so the Breakfast is better than others I have experienced in Edinburgh.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and found both your room and breakfast to a high standard. As you mention in your review we are very lucky to have some fantastic views from our bedrooms and restaurant. There is nothing nicer than eating breakfast while enjoying the magnificence of such a historic treasure as Edinburgh Castle.

I do appreciate your kind review and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel

Reviewed November 7, 2013

My partner and I stayed here nights of 1st and 2nd Nov and had a wonderful stay. We booked it way in advance as I was having my graduation ceremony in the Castle on Saturday 2nd. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by friendly staff who couldn't do enough for us. We had requested a quiet room and we weren't disappointed - it was on 4th floor near the end of a corridor (room 3146 I think..) and we overlooked what looked like a primary school building and a green bank. Perfect!! The room was big and spotlessly clean, bathroom had wonderful wet room style shower, separate from the bath, so no nasty shower curtain. We quickly got our clothes hung up and went out for a night on the town. My partner went to Uni here so new all the best pubs and bars, we even ended up talking to another couple that we spent the rest of the evening with. We ended up coming in much later than expected! Beds are divine - very comfortable and the bedding/pillows are just perfect, I have a lower back problem so I'm very sensitive to a rubbish bed. Our part of the hotel was indeed very quiet, even managing an afternoon nap, with clientele appearing to be more along the lines of smart couples going to events rather than loud hen/stag parties. Room temp is always a sore point for us as hotels are often overheated, however although the corridors are quite toasty our room was blissfully cool. We didn't have breakfast included as wanted to explore places nearby and be able to meet up with my parents, but we did get a £10 voucher to spend in the hotel. We didn't actually get chance to spend this though. Also loved the rubber duck you can take away with you, you're even encouraged to take them out and Tweet pictures of them. We got a 2nd one on our 2nd night. Very impressed and would stay again, as long as we could get a nice quiet 4th floor room again. I really hate people stomping above me, we get enough at that in our flat so it's so welcome to get away from it on a trip. Lovely stay overall.

Room Tip: Ask for 4th floor room that doesn't overlook castle if you want it to be quiet. We found the lif...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HannahVJones

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing such a detailed review following your recent stay at the Apex City hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit and that 'Bobby', our little green duck, found a nice new home. It’s great you even managed to get him a friend as he can get lonely!

Next time you make a reservation please make a point of telling us the room number you prefer and we will do our best to ensure your are allocated the same room or one close by. We always like it when guests state a preference as it help us to ensure they enjoy their stay.

Thank you again and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Reasonably priced hotel, which came with the added bonus of a £10 voucher to spend within the hotel! Location was perfect and the rooms were clean and well equipped. Only downside was the noise (outside the hotel) in the early hours of the morning and the inability to adjust the air con.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chris_Columbis

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you found the opportunity to use your £10.00 food and beverage voucher. It is just our way of saying "thank you" for booking your stay with us directly through our website.

Next time you stay please let us know when you make your booking that you would prefer a quiet room to the rear of the building rather than a street facing room. Our rooms at the back of the building may not enjoy the view of the Castle but are extremely quiet. We will of course then do our best to accommodate your request.

I appreciate your review and hope you will book to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Firstly location wise this was perfect. The rooms were great with the added bonus of splash room instead of bog standard shower. The staff were a credit to the hotel particularly the bar staff we only had a couple of coffee's in there but they were so friendly and helpful about the local area - even going off to print a map for us on his own accord without us having to ask. What a gent!

The rooms were fantastic too, the breakfast was very good quality too. We would definitely stay here again and with the added bonus of parking it will definitely be on our list to re-book when we visit again.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front of the hotel looking out onto Grassmarket. The rooms at the back of the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jessoll
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very nice review of the hotel. I was pleased to read that you found my staff helpful and you liked our central location. It is great to know that we are on your "list to re-book" and I do hope that means you will come and stay with us again very soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights at the weekend. I was disappointed with the location of the room as it had views of the bins and car park and not the castle. I did enquire if there was any rooms available with the castle view but there weren't any. We paid a lot more than we would normally for 2 nights as it was a birthday celebration but thought that the room did not live up to the 4 star rating. The finish in the room was tired and nothing like the pictures on the website. However the bathroom was nice and it was clean. The breakfast was good with a nice selection of hot food and continental too. I would recommend this hotel as a great base for sightseeing but would suggest contacting the hotel to book a room with views of the castle.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the building have views of the castle. The top floor would be best.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

I am sorry we were unable to offer you a room with a Castle view for your recent stay with us. Unfortunately we do have a limited number of rooms on the front of the building and we always recommend guests to let us know their preference at the time of making their booking so we can do our best to avoid any disappointment. I trust you had a peaceful night however as the rooms to the rear of the building are particularly quiet.

I am pleased you liked your breakfast and found our location good as a base for enjoying Edinburgh.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Reasonably priced hotel where we got a relatively large room at the back of the hotel, since we asked for a quiet room. It was spotlessly clean and spacious indeed. The first hotel where we found two luxury chairs and a coffee table in a standard room. The ladies at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. Park your car behind the hotel for only 10 punds a day. Walking distance to all attractions in Edinburgh, being only five minutes from the castle and the Royal Mile. We did not use the fitness centre. Breakfast is perfect!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for a room at the backside of the hotel. The front at Grassmarket can...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WBek

Dear Guest

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, found our rooms to be spotlessly clean and my staff helpful. I will make a point of passing on your praise to my reception team.

Thank you for your review and I do hope you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the apex city for 3 nights and had a great stay. The bed was one of the comfiest beds I have slept in. The room had everything we needed including elemis toiletries, fridge, and an ironing board!

We didn't have breakfast or a meal in the hotel but the cocktails were good and it was nice to have a £10 voucher from the hotel to spend on them!

The location was perfect and the only slight downside about the hotel was the heat. As soon as you step out of the lift it is really hot in the corridor but we were fine in the room as we turned off the heating and kept the window open the whole time we were there.

Would definately return and recommend booking direct with the hotel to get the £10 voucher for food and drinks.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WakingUpSideways

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review of the Apex City, and for booking directly with us through our website. I am glad that you enjoyed using the £10.00 food and beverage voucher that guests that book direct are rewarded with - cocktails are always a tempting use for them!

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and I do hope you will stay with us again soon.