“Perfect location”

Ranked #40 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Galway, Ireland
“Perfect location”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed at the Apex City Hotel for 3 nights for a weekend city break. Firstly, the Hotel is in a perfect location, right on Grassmarket Street which is packed with pubs, clubs and restaurants and less than 5 mins walk to The Royal Mile and Castle. The staff were so friendly right from the minute we checked in. I had contacted the hotel in advance and requested a room with a view of the Castle and although the hotel was fully booked they accommodated us no problem. It was also my boyfriends birthday and they had left a birthday card for him in the room which was such a nice touch. Just to note if you want a room with a view it means that you will be to the front of the Hotel which is on a busy street so you will have a lot of noise.
The room was spacious and had the most comfortable pillows! I was a little disappointed that there was no in-room safe or mini fridge though.
If you miss breakfast Billy Mulligan's across the road serves a full fry all day!
I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again if I ever return.

2 Thank Jess19811
LisaCameronDGM, Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on the Apex City and I was very pleased to hear that you had a good stay and you enjoyed the Grassmarket. We are very lucky to wake up to such a great view everyday.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.
Lisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
northern ireland
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Really liked this hotel. The staff were all really friendly and efficient, bar prices no higher than you would expect and as everyone says the location is great. Bedroom was stylish and spotlessly clean and the bed was the most comfy ever - blissful pillows too! However one thing spoiled an otherwise great stay - it was SO hot. The restaurant was hot, the corridors were very hot and even with the window open all night the bedroom was so hot I barely slept all night - despite the comfy bed. My colleagues said their rooms were the same. However the Edinburgh weather was unreasonably warm so maybe the heating was set for colder weather and as winter descends it will level out. Otherwise I would happily recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank she1959
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you found your room too hot. As you quite correctly mentioned our heating had been adjusted due to falling temperatures, however there was a short period of nice weather which caught us out. My apologies that you were kept awake by the heat.

I am glad however that you are still happy to stay with us again in the future and If you let me know if you make a booking I will personally ensure you receive an upgrade with my compliments.

London
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed in Sep'13 for four nights as part of a golfing trip. The hotel is simple, functional and centrally located. The rooms are simple yet nicely decorated in a modern style, spacious and clean, and bedding is excellent. Housekeeping is discreet, so you can sleep yourself out! Breakfast service is good. The staff is competent friendly and careful. I couldn't find anything to fault this place, so I recommend it, especially, as in our case, for large golfing parties.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review - I clearly remember your party and do hope you enjoyed the golf, even though it was raining!!

Your kind feedback is most welcome and if you are thinking of returning to Edinburgh again for a 'round or two' please keep us in mind as there are many more courses close by for you to try.

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have stayed in the Apex a few times and each time they just get better and better. Stylish, modern, tasteful rooms. Nice bathroom toiletries that you really want to use, they smell great. Good mixture of teas, which is nice because I normally have to take my own teas. comfy beds,lovely big towels, nice snacks, so much more...

The staff are so helpful and happy! It is so nice to have people around that really do want to make your stay a nice one.

The location is great. When we were there there was a medevial fair on in the grass market, it was lovely. We were down for a special birthday and meeting up with family and the fair just made the days even more special, it helped the weather was really good!

Room Tip: Higher up and you will not get the street noise from the pubs in the Grass market. It is not the lo...
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete such a positive review on our hotel and I am very pleased to hear that you had a good weekend and you enjoyed all aspects of the services and facilities that we offer at the City.
We had fun at the Medevial shows over the weekend with our duck Bobby, check out Twitter and you'll see what I mean.
Thank you again and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Apex in the near future.
Lisa
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel is just perfect. The position is just amazing opposite a whole load of very nice bars and restaurants. The room was an excellent size with a huge double bed which was comfy! I could lie on the bed and gaze out at the castle it was that close.

Staff very friendly.

£10 voucher is a great idea - we put it towards a bottle of bubbly on our last night. There is only a bout 10 spaces in the car park but we had no trouble getting one and it was never full during our stay.

The room and bathroom were very clean with good quality towels.

TV huge flatscreen and with full freeview channels.

If I have to give a couple of developmental points:

*A little more of the complementary shampoo as we ran out - I'll take the blame for one day as I overslept with the DND sign still hanging!
* Our kettle didn't work and wasn't replaced. Not a massive issue as we didn't really bother with tea/coffee anyway.

I really can't fault this place and will definitely stay again of we revisit this amazing city. Location, service and cleanliness second to none.

Room Tip: A side room has an excellent view of the castle.
1 Thank AGB601
Dear Guest

Thank you for a really nice review - it is very much appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and have also noted that your kettle did not work. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and I have already asked my Head Housekeeper to double check all the kettles are now working.

I am also pleased that you managed to take advantage of our £10 Food and beverage voucher for booking with the hotel directly - I hope you enjoyed the champagne?

South Wales
Reviewed September 21, 2013

It's worth paying extra for a city hotel. The beds were super-comfy, the room a decent size and the water pressure in the shower was excellent. Also, either the rooms are well sound-proofed or the other guests very considerate. My daughter and I stayed in room 4127 during the last week of August and it was wonderful. The included breakfast was delicious, but appeared a little too quickly after ordering to convince me that it was freshly made. I thoroughly enjoyed the abundance of pink grapefruit juice, my favourite. The location was prime and I've already recommended it to my nephew who's planning a visit. On the downside, was woken up prematurely one morning by a member of staff conversing and laughing VERY LOUDLY in the corridor outside our room. Perhaps it's nice to be able to speak with someone in your own language, but please do it quietly? Also, free wifi was VERY fast.

Room Tip: As advised by previous reviewers, I asked for a quiet room. Yes, it was high up and on the side, but...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay. I am pleased you liked your room and found it to be quiet. I'm also glad you let us know you preferred a quiet room thereby giving us the opportunity to arrange a room away from the front of the hotel. I do however hope you will accept my apologies that you were disturbed by members of my staff talking in the corridor. I can assure you I will talk to my Head Housekeeper and get her to remind her staff of the importance of working quietly.

I do appreciate your feedback and hope you will stay with us again soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed here mid July but have just recently joined Trip Advisor, I thought I should leave some feedback as it was such a lovely place to stay for a weekend break. The staff were very helpful in all departments of the hotel. Our room was huge, very clean and the bed was so comfortable - one of the best night sleeps I've had. We had dinner which was lovely couldn't complain about a thing. My favourite part of the hotel was where breakfast was served as the views are stunning. Would stay here again in a heart beat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alison M
Dear Guest

I am so glad you took the time to leave a review now that you have joined Tripadvisor - particularly as you appear to have had such an enjoyable stay. It was also good to read that you would happily stay with us again and I do hope that you find the time in the very near future.

Thank you again for your review.