“Excellent & Close”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The hotel has excellent services, including comfortable rooms and a great restaurant. The rooms are spacious enough and the bathroom has a walk-in shower in addition to a bathtub [for those inclined]. Reception staff are very helpful and provide excellent directions. Breakfast came with the room and was above average. Dinner was very well served and delicious. The location is superb, with steps that lead to the "Edinburgh Castle" less than a block away. Tickets to the castle should be purchased online in advance to avoid long lines. The "Royal Mile" begins at the castle and is enjoyable, with shops and restaurants along the way. The Holyrood Palace is on the bottomside of the Royal Mile, but cannot be vistied if British royalty is in residence. . .do not purchase tickets in advance. The 'tourbus' was enjoyable and gave great insight.

Room Tip: Lower rooms may be less quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
LisaCameronDGM, Guest Relations Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your your positive review and I am glad to hear that you had such a great time whilst visiting Edinburgh and got the opportunity to visit some of our great attractions. I very pleased to see that you enjoyed you breakfast and dinner whilst staying with us and that you found our Front desk staff very knowledgeable.
Thank you again and look forward to welcoming you back to the Apex City.
Regards

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a modern hotel in a good location near a number of tourist sights. I was in a fourth floor room off of the street overlooking a parking lot. The room was warm so I had to open the window to keep cool at night. Both nights I had to close the window late as there was a foul odor coming from the outside. I never figured out what it was, whether from the hotel garbage or from some other source.

The room was very stylish. Some of my tour group were quite happy with the separate shower and tub. The rubber ducky in the bathroom was a cute touch. The room was comfortable but I had to watch my head on one side of the bed and it was a room at the roof line and the ceiling sloped where the phone was.

The staff was good but I did have a couple of problems with service. After attempting to use the phone and getting the front desk instead the clerk was obviously very annoyed. Only after the fourth try did I get an explanation of the problem which was corrected.

On the last night of my stay I called the front desk for a wake-up call and did not get an answer after trying for 30 minutes. I had to go to the front desk to request a wake-up call.

After I had a late meal in the dining room I was told after my credit card was charged that I could not put the tip on the card. That made no sense and I complained to the front desk the next day. They seemed to be as mystified as I was.

In spite of the uneven service I still recommend the property.

Room Tip: While there is heat in the room I saw no evidence of cool air, so an open window was needed to keep...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am sorry that you experienced some service issues, I have shared your review with my managment team and we will ensure that corrective training takes place with the relevant departments. In answer to your question about the smell, this is infact for the local brewery in Edinburgh and on still, quiet nights you do tend to smell it more than during the day due to the lack of traffic. Thank you again for your review and I am glad to see that you would still reccommend us even though you had a few technical issues.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was travelling with my sister and everything at the hotel worked perfectly. The staff was very friendly and helpful both at checking in and out. Our room was clean and in good condition. The WiFi worked as expected. The only thing to complain about is that there was a bit of noise coming from the corridor.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
LisaCameronDGM, Guest Relations Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am glad to hear that you had a good stay and you enjoyed the services and facilities at our hotel.

Hopefully we will get the opprotunity to welcome you back to the Apex City in the near future.

Lisa Cameron
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is superbly located to the castle and the Royal Mile! It's so easy to get around and see the different sights. Plus, the rooms are super clean, bed is comfy, and the bathroom is modern. Everything looks very recently renovated... I give this a gold star and I am so picky about hotels and cleanliness. The staff is also so friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
LisaCameronDGM, Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a positive review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel clean and in good replair. Hopefully we will get the opporunity to welcome you back to our hotel and to our beautiful city.

Regards

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed 1 night here, nice clean room, plenty of space. A few things a little dated in the bathroom but well kept. Took a cab from the train station as we had walked over to Grassmarket area during our first visit to Edinburgh and didn't want to mess with rolling our luggage over. (Not a bad walk at all but a few pounds will save you some leg bruises if you're hauling a bag around! :)) We weren't quite as happy with the Grassmarket area as we expected to be but it was still nice and fun.

Hotel bar nice with good view out onto street - we enjoyed people watching and having a drink before bed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
LisaCameronDGM, Guest Relations Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I'm glad that you found our rooms clean and our staff friendly. The Grassmarket is a busy location at times which adds to the charm of been in the old town of Edinburgh and been within easy reach of some of our world famous places of interest.

Edinburgh is a beautiful city and I'm sure should you come back to Edinburgh you would not be dissapointed. We have three other hotels in the city which I am sure one of them will be in the location you like.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights prior to our flight out of Edinburgh Airport. The airport was about a 20 minute taxi drive away from the hotel. It was in a good location for seeing the sites. The room was clean and comfortable except that it was too warm. Even with the air conditioner running on high it was warm and it was not hot out side. The windows only opened a few inches and we would have liked the option to open them further.
Noise from the street was a problem late at night and our room was in the back of the hotel. Check in and out were very efficient. The staff were very nice and helpful. The desk clerk even helped us get out bags out to our taxi. The breakfast was quite good and the lounge area was nice. We enjoyed ourselves even with the warm somewhat noisy room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review that Apex City hotel and I am glad that you found our staff friendly and efficient.

In our bedrooms we have an air handling system which when turned on high will heat the room and that is why you found it warm, air conditioning is something we are considering for the future. Unfortunately due to health & safety we are unable to adapt the opening distance of our windows.

Thank you again for your review and hopefully we will have the oportunity to welcome you back to the Apex City in the future.
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed July 6, 2013

An efficient and well run hotel. I understand it is one of a chain of three in Edinburgh. This one is quite comfortable and had a very modern room well fitted out. The aircon was efficient and the bed, bedding and bathroom were of high quality. My room had an outlook only to a small internal carpark, but was quiet in any case.
From the front there was a distant view to the castle, and generally a lot of tourist features were within comfortable walking distance. The hotel though is somewhat isolated from the main thoroughfare and would require a taxi to get there if not of reasonable constitution.
There are many restaurants and bars within close proximity, apart from the in- house restaurant.
The only let-down is the breakfast/dining room. It is a narrow lengthwise room and on a split level. The tables are hard to access if on the upper side. Moreover, the buffet is hard to access with impractical serving dishes. One has to lift the large metal lids, swing them sideways then prop them while selecting eggs, bacon or whatever. It would be helpful to replace them with hinged lids at least.
However, in summary a good, comfortable hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our hotel and I am glad to hear that your found our location and facilities good. I'm sorry to hear that you did not find the buffet equiptment very user friendly, the buffet was infact for a group breakfast that came down together and we remove the lids completely whilst they finish eating. Breakfast for our guest is a continental buffet selection and hot food is cooked to order and served to you by our staff, I'm very sorry that on this ocasion it was not communicated to you when you were seated.