“Great location, good rooms.”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #40 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
London
“Great location, good rooms.”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I liked the location, good restaurants nearby and parking for hotel residents. We had 3 rooms and they were all comfortable with modern furnishings. The suite was very good, with a nice shower and a bath. I liked that there was a door separating the bedroom from the lounge (in the suite) and that there were large screen TVs in both rooms. There was a reasonable nespresso type coffee machine as well and plenty of electric sockets to charge all our devices and batteries etc. All this is to be expected in a 4* hotel anyway, but what impressed me most was the service offered by the hotel staff. From arranging taxis, to information about local events and keeping our luggage on the last day while we roamed the city - all excellent.

Room Tip: Choose the suite if they're available. Well worth the upgrade - and cheaper than at the sister W...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Pranay M
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest

I really appreciate your very complimentary review and the fact that you have marked us so highly in all areas. I would also like to thank you for your very high praise of my staff - I know they will be delighted.

Please keep us in mind the next time you visit Edinburgh.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ajijic, Mexico
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a coach trip. The location was great for exploring the city. Can't remember the name of it, but there is a wonderful Italian cafe across the street. The staff was always cheery and helpful. The breakfast was very good. The rooms were spotless and modern and well appointed. I would stay there again without hesitation.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BlackLabMom_13
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to Edinburgh. I do hope you enjoyed your tour round Scotland and managed to get some decent weather?

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and it is great to know that you would not hesitate to stay with us again.

Ipswich
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The hotel is in a great location to explore Edinburgh, its close to the castle and all the shopping area's and there are loads of good pubs and resturants in the Grassmarket. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the meal we had in the resturant was the best we had in Edinburgh.
All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. The quality of food in our restaurant is important to me and we are proud of our AA rosette. I'm glad that you not only enjoyed your meal but found it to have been the best you had during your visit to Edinburgh!

Next time you are in Edinburgh I do hope you will stay with us again.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I think they upgraded our room, because our bed was massive. We were impressed with the large bathroom with the open shower AND bathtub. The room was clean, bright and we liked the modern decor. The staff at the desk were very pleasant, and we got chummy with the great staff at the bar during the three nights we stayed there. Our favorite part of staying here was eating the scones with clotted cream and jam and drinking tea at the bar/restaurant. The location is great; we were able to walk to the National Museum of Scotland, Surgeons' Hall Museum, and up and down the Royal Mile during the day, and at night there's so many pubs across the street that we lost count of how many pubs we bounced in and out of (but that might have been all those pints that made us lose count).

We liked this hotel so much that we actually visited the front desk during our stay to look into booking another night later on in our trip when we knew we'd be back in Edinburgh, but the date we were in need was unfortunately fully booked.

We chose this particular hotel because it seems that the Apex hotels in Edinburgh all have great ratings here on Trip Advisor, but this hotel was the cheapest of them. It certainly didn't feel like a cheap hotel and we would recommend this hotel and stay here again if we ever find ourselves back in Edinburgh.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beth C
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about the Apex City hotel. I'm glad you had a good time in Edinburgh and appear to have managed to visit a lot of the local attractions, including the bars!! Having read all the nice things you had to say about the hotel I was sorry to read that the date you wanted to stay with us again was fully booked. I do hope you managed to find a suitable alternative?

Oregon is a long way from Edinburgh but hopefully you will return again soon.

Lindsay sturrock
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I had a room on the 3rd floor for one night on a business trip.

The room's key card lock was broken so the lock was a traditional key. The staff were anxious that this was OK and the door needed a bit of a wiggle to close, and not only phoned to check I was happy but had left a bottle of wine in the room too.

The room was large, a modern room, very clean with lovely comfortable bed, great bathroom with separate walk in shower and bath and a little rubber duck. The view of Edinburgh Castle was great and it was only a 10 min walk to Wavely Railway Station in the morning.

The biggest surprise was the evening meal. The food was great, wonderfully well presented and well cooked; scallops with apple puree and apple crisps were lovely, the pork belly with prawns was intriguing but delicious and more jus was quickly brought when I asked for it, and the citrus vacherin, a lemon parfait topped with lime sorbet, garnished with kumquat, meringue & syrup was brilliant. Breakfast was fine, but not as good as dinner. Service was excellent with the waiters, especially in the evening, being friendly, polite and helpful.

I enjoyed my stay at the Apex and would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased that you liked your room and hope you took your duck home with you?

I have already pointed out your kind comments regarding your evening meal to our Head Chef and he has asked me to thank you. When away on business we appreciate that a comfortable room, good service and quality meal are very important and I am glad we appear to have ticked all the boxes.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and I look forward to being able to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you are in Edinburgh.

london, england
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was a very pleasant weekend! Loved the bar and restaurant, which had an excellent menu. Couldn't fault the room. The staff thoroughout the hotel, particularly in the bar, were most friendly and helpful.
The Grassmarket is an excellent base for exploring the city. Booking direct with the hotel by telephone was much better than booking on-line. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased you had a "very pleasant weekend" with us and particularly enjoyed your meal in the restaurant. I will make a point of passing your praise to my staff. I know they will be glad you found their service and food "faultless".

I do hope you will stay with us again soon.

Heerlen
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My family and I stayed in this hotel over the marathon weekend.

Having stayed in the sister hotel next door (Apex International) we had high expectations and were not disappointed. The check-in was smooth and within minutes of arrival we were in our room. The only gripe I have was the view from the window was of a patch of grass in need of cutting and the building across the way. Obviously this was at the back of the hotel and proved to be quiet, apart from the empty bottles being emptied into a skip during the night. That was so loud that it nearly scared me (and my wife) to death.

The room was very well equipped although there was no safe in the room. The beds were very comfortable, although the pillows were a little soft for my liking. I am sure had I requested a firmer pillow, one would have been provided. The bathroom had a lovely walk-in shower and a separate bath and to top it all, there was an apex duck. There was a duck shortage when we stayed in the International!

On our first night we decided to eat in the restaurant and opted for one of the special deals (2 adults, 3 courses and children eat free for just £30). The waitress (sorry I can’t remember her name) was superb and her recommendations were spot on. She even noticed an error on our bill and had it corrected (in our favour!). Breakfast on marathon day was on early for all marathon runners and supporters which I thought was a nice touch!

Every member of staff we spoke to was friendly, professional, approachable and very helpful if needed. Out of the 2 Apex hotels in Grassmarket, I would have to say the City is better that it’s big sister the International. I would have no hesitation in staying here again the next time we are in Edinburgh, although I would ask for a room with a better view.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Darren C
Dear Guest

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly liked your meal in our restaurant.

The next time you stay please let us know if you would prefer a room with a front facing view and that you would like firmer pillows and we will make the necessary arrangements.

I also noted your comment that when you stayed at our sister hotel next door your room was missing a duck. I would like to rectify this for you as I am sure 'Bobby', our green duck is missing his sister, and if you let me know your address I will arrange for 'Austin' to be posted to you. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

Thank you for your kind review and I do hope you will stay with us again next year for the Edinburgh Marathon.