“Marathon Weekend Comfort”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My family and I stayed in this hotel over the marathon weekend.

Having stayed in the sister hotel next door (Apex International) we had high expectations and were not disappointed. The check-in was smooth and within minutes of arrival we were in our room. The only gripe I have was the view from the window was of a patch of grass in need of cutting and the building across the way. Obviously this was at the back of the hotel and proved to be quiet, apart from the empty bottles being emptied into a skip during the night. That was so loud that it nearly scared me (and my wife) to death.

The room was very well equipped although there was no safe in the room. The beds were very comfortable, although the pillows were a little soft for my liking. I am sure had I requested a firmer pillow, one would have been provided. The bathroom had a lovely walk-in shower and a separate bath and to top it all, there was an apex duck. There was a duck shortage when we stayed in the International!

On our first night we decided to eat in the restaurant and opted for one of the special deals (2 adults, 3 courses and children eat free for just £30). The waitress (sorry I can’t remember her name) was superb and her recommendations were spot on. She even noticed an error on our bill and had it corrected (in our favour!). Breakfast on marathon day was on early for all marathon runners and supporters which I thought was a nice touch!

Every member of staff we spoke to was friendly, professional, approachable and very helpful if needed. Out of the 2 Apex hotels in Grassmarket, I would have to say the City is better that it’s big sister the International. I would have no hesitation in staying here again the next time we are in Edinburgh, although I would ask for a room with a better view.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Darren C
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Guest

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly liked your meal in our restaurant.

The next time you stay please let us know if you would prefer a room with a front facing view and that you would like firmer pillows and we will make the necessary arrangements.

I also noted your comment that when you stayed at our sister hotel next door your room was missing a duck. I would like to rectify this for you as I am sure 'Bobby', our green duck is missing his sister, and if you let me know your address I will arrange for 'Austin' to be posted to you. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

Thank you for your kind review and I do hope you will stay with us again next year for the Edinburgh Marathon.

Lindsay Sturrock

Write a ReviewReviews (2,701)

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I booked a few days here for my boyfriend's bday. I emailed the hotel on booking to request a castle view for the occasion and was pleased to find out we'd been given one on arrival. A bday card in the room was also a thoughtful touch. The room itself was nice - albeit a little warm at times. There was some late night noise to be heard with the window open on the first night but no problem with the window closed.

The separate shower was great although the bath was quite small in length. The bed was big and comfortable although the pillows were too soft. I left a note on the bed for housekeeping after the first night to request firmer pillows if available but weren't provided with any or given a response which was disappointing.

The location of the hotel was great - we both proclaimed the grassmarket our favourite area with some great bars and restaurants within minutes - highly recommend mussels and steak and also oink (the pork roll shop!)

It was a short walk from the station but up a steep hill. We were fine with wheely hand luggage size cases but anything more would've been a struggle.

I used the pool and hot room at the international next door - a bit small and that's all that was there in terms of spa facilities but was welcome after a day of sightseeing.

All in all I would recommend the hotel - it was a pleasant stay but mainly great location.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Guest

I'm glad that your boyfriend enjoyed his birthday with us and that we were able to assist with a Castle view room. Edinburgh is a great location for a birthday weekend away and it sounds like you both had a really good time.

My apologies that we did not change your pillows for firmer ones - our pillows are very large and soft and I know that some guests prefer firmer foam pillows. If you stay with us again please let us know when you make your reservation and we will ensure they are in your room waiting for you.

Thank you for your kind review and I do hope you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights after a cruise. The first room was pretty bad, but the second room we were offered (top floor) was much better. Breakfast was OK and the lounge was not as good as the Apex City of London Hotel. The location, however, was unbeatable. Walking distance to the Castle and literally 8-10 pubs (including the oldest in the city) directly across the street. We would probably try their sister hotel a few doors down the next time we are in the city. More facilities.

Room Tip: Get a room not facing the street - a popular and noisy area.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you did not like the first room you were offered but I am glad we were able to offer an acceptable alternative. Unfortunately you did not mention what it was about the room that you did not like, however it is always our policy to change rooms for any guest who has a preference and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our location perfect for all your needs.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Myself and my partner have just returned from a weekend in Edinburgh at the Apex City Hotel and we are throughly pleased with our experience. We visit Edinburgh every year and we both agreed that this has been our best hotel stay yet!
We checked into our room which was lovely, clean and very modern with a breathtaking view! We were lucky enough to get a Castle View which was absolutely beautiful! (after reading previous reviews we thought we would try our luck so we emailed the hotel a few weeks in advance and requested a castle view, we were told they couldnt guarantee this unless we wanted to upgrade, however we didnt upgrade and were lucky!) The staff were extremely pleasant and very helpful! Will definitely be staying in this hotel in the future!

P.s i would recommend the cocktails/mocktails in the hotel bar!! Delicious!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Not only am I pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and "will definitely be back", but to hear that you have stayed many times in Edinburgh and have enjoyed your stay at the Apex City more than any other hotel is exceptionally pleasing to read.

Next time you visit Edinburgh please let me know and I will do my best to ensure that you receive the same room again as you appear to have been so happy there. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

Reviewed May 31, 2013

my partner and i stayed for four nights but even before we'd arrived the staff were extremely helpful - i had made an error with my booking and they sorted it out quickly and without any stress. upon arrival we were given all the information we needed from reception staff and our room was clean and tidy. every morning we were greeted by the cleaning staff and the restaurant staff were always helpful during breakfast time even when busy. our room was tidied every day while we were out which was a really nice touch. really loved the selection of tea, coffee and hot chocolate in our room and the bottled water was also a great discovery. we loved the room so much that we almost spent as much time there as we did exploring the city! the location is great also, it's within walking distance of all the major attractions but also in a quieter area so that it's not too noisy. will definitely recommend, thanks for a great stay.

Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving such a nice review - I do appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. I am glad you liked your room and found the hotel convenient for all the great attractions Edinburgh has to offer.

I do hope you will stay with us again soon and my thanks for recommending us to your friends.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

As with one of your other reviews I also stayed over for marathon weekend, with a 15 min walk to the start and 10 mins to princes street for bars, shopping etc.
The issue was that the room we were in was 1st floor and on the street - so noise from those convenient bars, pubs, taxis didnt stop until about 2.30 in the morning.
No real apology from the front desk when I asked to move room for the next night asking for something quiet ... and it was quiet until 8am the next morning when we got 30 minutes of non stop bag piping ... after 30 mins we decided it was time for breakfast.

Breakfast combination of buffet and inclusive cooked breakfast was quick, hot and nicely done.
Walk in shower was certainly appreciated so a good spot.
I couldnt go back as wouldnt trust them to find me a room where we could have a lie in.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

I am so sorry you were disturbed by the street noise during your stay. As you will have possibly read in other reviews the rooms at the rear of the hotel are normally very quiet, and if a guest prefers a quiet room rather than a Castle view we are happy to oblige. On this occasion it appears that children from the school behind us were practising their pipes. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were disturbed further and I can assure you that I have already had a word with the school and they have agreed to stop bagpipe practice at such an early time. I now it is nice to hear the pipes when you are in Scotland but agree that before 9am is not acceptable.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in Edinburgh and if you contact me directly I will personally ensure that you have a quiet room for your stay. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed over the marathon weekend.
£20 in taxi from airport to hotel door.
Hotel in an excellent location for cafes; bars and restaurants.
And ofcourse the castle, approx 5min walk.
Approx 25min walk to marathon start.

Rooms are about average for a four star hotel. The only thing that would stand out about the room is the walk in shower.
Breakfast was reasonable for the prebooked price of £10.

The pool and sauna at the sister hotel, apex international, are a bonus and only a 50yard stroll away.

Overall I would consider this hotel again if returning and the price was right.

• Stayed: May 2013
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found the hotel to be well located for the marathon, local restaurants and bars and will consider using us again in the future.

Edinburgh is always very busy during the Edinburgh Marathon and It was good to read that you found the hotel to be value for money. I do hope that you managed to run a good time and If you are planning to run the Marathon again next year please keep us in mind.