“Nice hotel in the heart of the Grassmarket!!!”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Having just stayed here on Saturday 20th May this hotel done everything to suit our needs. The hotel is situated right in the heart of the grassmarket, only minutes walk from popular bars like the three sisters, buddy milligans and the last drop. The rooms themselves are very nicely decorated , with a nice walk in shower in the bathroom. The staff were always pleasant and very helpful. Although the only negative thing to say is we were located overlooking the back of the hotel which was quite noisy in the morning if you leave your windows open as alot of glass bottles etc are getting recycled to prepare for the next days business. All in all though we had a very pleasant stay and would happily return to this hotel if we were staying again in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JMO_83
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and plan to return the next time you are in Edinburgh.

Your feedback regarding the noise from the bottle bin at the rear of the hotel is very helpful. I will immediately instruct my staff not to use the bin before 11am so that we do not disturb future guests. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Lindsay Sturrock

Write a ReviewReviews (2,772)

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Booked this hotel well in advance so got a fantastic rate. It was a vaery popular hotel always busy but the rooms were lovely and quiet. The staff were exceptionaly helpfull and friendly with nothing to much trouble! Breakfast was lovely but book the night before and get it cheaper.
All in all I think this is the best hotel i have ever stayed at for location, just under the castle, value for money and the friendly staff!

Room Tip: Maybe we were lucky we stayed in room 2133 which was up the side street but was excellent and quiet
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for such high praise of the hotel following your recent stay with us. I'm really pleased you found my staff friendly, your room comfortable and our location perfect for the sights of Edinburgh. I do hope you will find an opportunity to stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed in the Apex City from the 13th to the 16th April. The room was big and had a very comfortable bed. It was huge and the feather pillows were great too. The sleep quality was very good!

We had room service and found the food to be good and the service quick and efficient. The bar downstairs was nice, good service and you managed to get a seat. Not an easy thing in Grassmarket on a weekend. The wifi was excellent.

All the staff were polite and appeared very happy to help. When we were checking out my husband's printing was waiting to be picked up at reception, we were not charged for this. I thought this was good customer service. Thanks!

We got a good deal on this, unfortunately we had to return a day earlier because of work commitments. We will certainly return here again.

we had room 4137 with a nice view of the castle from our window.

Some great pubs and shops nearby!

Grassmarket has a lot to offer and you and only a few minutes walk from the Royal Mile.

Room Tip: 4137 has a good view of the Castle, a huge comfy bed and great wifi.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Guest

I was sorry to read that due to work commitments you had to cut short your break with us - particularly when you were having such a good time. I did however read that you plan to return in the future and if you let us know you liked room 4137 when you make your booking we will do our best to make sure you are allocated this room when you arrive.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at the Apex City & thoroughly recommend. Right from the first impressions and good experience at check in, I couldn't have asked for more. My room was a great size, spotlessly clean & well equipped with a hair-dryer that actually works and a reasonable iron and ironing board. Ample cupboard space for those who travel with lots of luggage/clothes too. Impressed with the Elemis toiletries and little green duck! I don't usually sleep well in a strange bed, but it was lovely & comfortable & had the most amazing pillows that you sink in to. I loved them so much I made enquiries where I could get the myself which they left me details of when I checked out.
We ate dinner in the restaurant one of the nights which proved to be brilliant value with very tasty food & wine.
Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful 5***** review. I enjoyed reading that you would "thoroughly recommend" the hotel and had a great experience. Please look after your "little green duck" and hopefully you can take him home a little brother or sister the next time you stay with us.

Many thank again for your review.

Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Located ideally for pubs and restaraunts and close to castle and royal mile this comfortable hotel with spacious rooms is one I will return to . I compliment them on an excellent choice of fine whiskys (over 40 , yes I counted !) Served by an attentive barman . All in all a very pleasant stay. Well done.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Stevos747

Dear Guest

I'm pleased you had a pleasant stay with us, found our location central and particularly enjoyed our range of whisky!! Situated in the heart of the Capital City and on the doorstep of the Castle It would be a crime not offer a decent range of the National drink - and I don't mean Irn-Bru..

Thank you for your review and I do hope you will stay with us again soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights to take part in the rock n roll half marathon. Took the airlink 100 bus from the airport. Very easy, took 30 mins and cost £6 each return. The hotel is about a 15 min walk away from Waverly train station where the bus terminated.

I had requested a quiet room with a castle view. We arrived at 11am and was told the room wasn't ready although there was one at the front we could have although it wasn't as quiet so we decided to wait. Reception staff were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble and they looked after out case for us.

Finally got in the room at 2pm. Was very clean and modern and had a partial view of the castle. On Saturday night I could hear some noise from the revellers enjoying the pubs but nothing major. We ate in the restaurant and had a 3 course fixed menu with a bottle of wine for £40 per couple. The food was excellent and this was a good value. We also booked breakfast for 2 days which cost £10 per person if you book the night before. Again the variety and quality was good.

We also sampled the cocktails in the bar. A cosmopolitan was £5.95 ish. I wanted a Black Russian which wasn't on the menu but the batman said he could make up for me. I was a bit disappointed that I was charged for each component of the drink making this an expensive choice (around £9) but it was my own fault for being picky!

The hotel is near to all the sights. Make sure you visit the Hula cafe across the street, excellent coffee and bagels and a cheaper alternative for breakfast.

Would recommend this hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side of the hotel are quieter but still have a castle view.
Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found my reception staff to be friendly and helpful.

I'm glad you took the time to dine in our restaurant and found the food "excellent" - we try to offer a range of menus and options and it was good to read that you found something you both liked. I will pass your comments to my Head Chef as I know he will be pleased.

My thanks again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Spotless room with lovely view of the castle with a firm and very comfortable bed, good bathroom with high end products and a free duck!
Breakfast was excellent value for money but book when you arrive as it is much cheaper. Bar very pleasent with reasonable priced drinks.
I would imagine that it could get a little noisy in the Grass market at weekends, but it is city centre so that what I would expect.
However the best thing about the hotel is the friendly, well trained, mostly young staff everyone of them put them selves out to ensure we were happy.
Would reccommend this hotel for good value, comfort and location.

Room Tip: Ask for a castle view room if you want a lovely view and dont mind a little outside noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Apex City hotel. It's nice to know that our Apex duck is going to a good home - please remember that each Apex hotel offers a different coloured duck so you can add to your collection!

I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and you will recommend the hotel to your friends. I will also pass on your kind comments to my staff and really appreciate your time for leaving such kind feedback.