“A good find, big rooms and a great price”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #40 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed in the Apex City from the 13th to the 16th April. The room was big and had a very comfortable bed. It was huge and the feather pillows were great too. The sleep quality was very good!

We had room service and found the food to be good and the service quick and efficient. The bar downstairs was nice, good service and you managed to get a seat. Not an easy thing in Grassmarket on a weekend. The wifi was excellent.

All the staff were polite and appeared very happy to help. When we were checking out my husband's printing was waiting to be picked up at reception, we were not charged for this. I thought this was good customer service. Thanks!

We got a good deal on this, unfortunately we had to return a day earlier because of work commitments. We will certainly return here again.

we had room 4137 with a nice view of the castle from our window.

Some great pubs and shops nearby!

Grassmarket has a lot to offer and you and only a few minutes walk from the Royal Mile.

Room Tip: 4137 has a good view of the Castle, a huge comfy bed and great wifi.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Guest

I was sorry to read that due to work commitments you had to cut short your break with us - particularly when you were having such a good time. I did however read that you plan to return in the future and if you let us know you liked room 4137 when you make your booking we will do our best to make sure you are allocated this room when you arrive.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at the Apex City & thoroughly recommend. Right from the first impressions and good experience at check in, I couldn't have asked for more. My room was a great size, spotlessly clean & well equipped with a hair-dryer that actually works and a reasonable iron and ironing board. Ample cupboard space for those who travel with lots of luggage/clothes too. Impressed with the Elemis toiletries and little green duck! I don't usually sleep well in a strange bed, but it was lovely & comfortable & had the most amazing pillows that you sink in to. I loved them so much I made enquiries where I could get the myself which they left me details of when I checked out.
We ate dinner in the restaurant one of the nights which proved to be brilliant value with very tasty food & wine.
Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful 5***** review. I enjoyed reading that you would "thoroughly recommend" the hotel and had a great experience. Please look after your "little green duck" and hopefully you can take him home a little brother or sister the next time you stay with us.

Many thank again for your review.

Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Located ideally for pubs and restaraunts and close to castle and royal mile this comfortable hotel with spacious rooms is one I will return to . I compliment them on an excellent choice of fine whiskys (over 40 , yes I counted !) Served by an attentive barman . All in all a very pleasant stay. Well done.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Stevos747

Dear Guest

I'm pleased you had a pleasant stay with us, found our location central and particularly enjoyed our range of whisky!! Situated in the heart of the Capital City and on the doorstep of the Castle It would be a crime not offer a decent range of the National drink - and I don't mean Irn-Bru..

Thank you for your review and I do hope you will stay with us again soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights to take part in the rock n roll half marathon. Took the airlink 100 bus from the airport. Very easy, took 30 mins and cost £6 each return. The hotel is about a 15 min walk away from Waverly train station where the bus terminated.

I had requested a quiet room with a castle view. We arrived at 11am and was told the room wasn't ready although there was one at the front we could have although it wasn't as quiet so we decided to wait. Reception staff were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble and they looked after out case for us.

Finally got in the room at 2pm. Was very clean and modern and had a partial view of the castle. On Saturday night I could hear some noise from the revellers enjoying the pubs but nothing major. We ate in the restaurant and had a 3 course fixed menu with a bottle of wine for £40 per couple. The food was excellent and this was a good value. We also booked breakfast for 2 days which cost £10 per person if you book the night before. Again the variety and quality was good.

We also sampled the cocktails in the bar. A cosmopolitan was £5.95 ish. I wanted a Black Russian which wasn't on the menu but the batman said he could make up for me. I was a bit disappointed that I was charged for each component of the drink making this an expensive choice (around £9) but it was my own fault for being picky!

The hotel is near to all the sights. Make sure you visit the Hula cafe across the street, excellent coffee and bagels and a cheaper alternative for breakfast.

Would recommend this hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side of the hotel are quieter but still have a castle view.
Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found my reception staff to be friendly and helpful.

I'm glad you took the time to dine in our restaurant and found the food "excellent" - we try to offer a range of menus and options and it was good to read that you found something you both liked. I will pass your comments to my Head Chef as I know he will be pleased.

My thanks again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Spotless room with lovely view of the castle with a firm and very comfortable bed, good bathroom with high end products and a free duck!
Breakfast was excellent value for money but book when you arrive as it is much cheaper. Bar very pleasent with reasonable priced drinks.
I would imagine that it could get a little noisy in the Grass market at weekends, but it is city centre so that what I would expect.
However the best thing about the hotel is the friendly, well trained, mostly young staff everyone of them put them selves out to ensure we were happy.
Would reccommend this hotel for good value, comfort and location.

Room Tip: Ask for a castle view room if you want a lovely view and dont mind a little outside noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Apex City hotel. It's nice to know that our Apex duck is going to a good home - please remember that each Apex hotel offers a different coloured duck so you can add to your collection!

I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and you will recommend the hotel to your friends. I will also pass on your kind comments to my staff and really appreciate your time for leaving such kind feedback.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Short walk to the Royal Mile, castle, and the usual Edinburgh sites. 4th floor room was not amazing, but was clean and perfectly serviceable.
We found buying breakfast once there (£10 pp if ordered the day before - call to see if they're still running this special) was cheaper than booking a 'breakfast included' rate on any site, including the hotel's own. For that price you get a full Scottish breakfast (or something smaller if you prefer), plus the cold buffet.
Thai Orchid restaurant up the hill towards the castle is very good, but call ahead to reserve, especially at weekends.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm glad you managed to take advantage of our discounted breakfast offer - which is indeed still available. Next time you stay with us please check with reception for information regarding our special dinner offers as they also offer exceptional value.

My thanks again for your review.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed at an Apex in London and had a great experience so I was very happy when I planned my NYE trip to Edinburgh that I could stay at an Apex as sometimes European hotel quality can vary. The quality actually exceeded the London one. The staff was so nice and always wanted to help. When we booked, there were no rooms available for NYE. When we checked in, we mentioned that we had hoped to stay for NYE (we made other plans). They put us on a list and actually had an opening and called us and offered us the room! We had never been to Edinburgh before, the desk staff gave us information on where to go, where to eat, etc. So willing to help. The hotel was clean and spacious. It felt safe. The location was great, you could see Edinburgh Castle from the front steps. We never had to take cabs or anything, everything was in walking distance (given, you had to walk up some hills!). I would definitely recommend staying there and if I return to Edinburgh, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The building is on a block that is a hill. So the rear of the hotel, even if you are on the 2nd or 3...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Apex City hotel. It was a real pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at one of our sister hotels in London and then had an equally good time at the Apex City. New Year is a fabulous time to visit Edinburgh and I do hope you will be able to return again in the future.

I appreciate your praise for my reception staff and have already made them aware of your kind comments.

Lindsay sturrock