“Great hotel & location!”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #42 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great hotel & location!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on 29/03/13 and we had booked through hotels.com! We arrived early and we were aware that we wouldn't be allowed into our room before 2pm however staff were great and said there was a room available. The check in process was very pleasant and staff were very kind and welcoming.

Our room looked over the grassmarket and Edinburgh castle which was a nice surprise, there was a massive bed, nice decor, large flat screen tv & DVD player as well as a dressing area and massive wardrobe space.

We were a room only basis so did not take advantage of the restaurants but I did notice you got some sort of discount for dinner?

There was also free wifi in the hotel.

This hotel is a great location, beautiful inside and out, 5 min walk from old town and about a 15 min walk from waverly train station.

Rooms had to be vacated by 12pm however we were not going home until later that night and we had plans to go to the zoo etc during the day therefore did not want to carry cases around. Staff at reception offered to keep our luggage in a safe place and gave us a token to retrieve it without hassle - free of charge.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very nice review of the Apex City hotel. Your rating and comment that we are “highly recommended” is very pleasing to read. I am also glad you found our location perfect for all the attractions that Edinburgh has to offer.

Please do not leave it too long before you come and stay with us again.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed for three nights and couldn't have asked for a better location.
Within walking distance of all the main sights and the local train station so was absolutely perfect.
The Hotel was exceptionally clean and tidy and the staff could not do enough for you.
Friendly and professional staff throughout which helped make our stay perfect.
Location is perfect for the centre of Edinburgh and would definitely recommend staying here for either a short stay or long stay.
Will definitely be staying there again and will definitely recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for recommending us to your family and friends. Personal recommendation is worth more than any advertising. I am glad you had a great stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Renfrewshire
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Loved everything about this hotel from the moment we arrived. The reception staff were friendly and efficient , the room was spotless and the bed comfortable .
The location is excellent everything within walking distance yet got a great nights sleep as couldn't hear any outside noise.
We were staying here to visit the theatre and when we returned to bar afterwards again staff were friendly and efficient, sitting in the bar looking out on the grassmarket was a lovely end to our day.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank JEMIMA-D
Surbiton, London
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night whilst on a business trip and got the room for less than half price via booking.com. Even at half price I (on behalf of my employer) felt a little ripped off and probably would have been better off at the Premier Inn!!

The hotel advertises that it provides luxury toiletries but all this turned out to be was the little bottles of shampoo and shower gell. No toothbrush and no disposable shaver, both of which I would expect to get in a 4 star hotel of this cost and very inconvenient having to go out to the shops!

The bed was sprung and lumpy but overall the room was nice and clean, quiet and well equipped with the usual stuff. Wi-Fi was fast.

My room was not facing Edinburgh castle, (the rooms that do cost a lot more) but I feel I should warn travellers that you will only get a partial view due to the buildings on the other side of the road. Not worth the extra $!

Breakfast was expensive, tiny and poor quality... The fried egg had very runny raw white and had to be sent back. It then came out nuked and dry after I had finished the meagre portions of everything else! The small sausage was cheap meat, the beans were Tesco value or worse and the mushrooms were over cooked! Finished off with dry chewy bread roll!

Would not recommend!

• Stayed April 2013
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was very sorry to read that you were disappointed with your stay. The bathroom toiletries that we offer are all from Elimis and are of a high quality. We can also provide a toothbrush and toothpaste if required and they are available from reception should you need them. We do not place them in the rooms as most guests tend to bring their own. I am sorry you were not made aware of this facility.

As far as I am aware I do not have a record of you requesting a Castle view, my apologies if I am wrong. As you were staying at the hotel for business we automatically placed you in a room to the rear of the building to ensure you had a quite stay. If we had been aware of your preference we would have been happy to move you to the front of the building, subject to availability, where we do have rooms with a full Castle view. These rooms do not incur any additional charge. We also have suites at the front of the building - which are indeed more expensive, and this may have been what caused the confusion.

I am glad you found your room to be clean and the free Wifi to be fast and easy to use, but am sorry you did not enjoy your breakfast. When booked in advance, or upon arrival, breakfast costs £10.00 but you are welcome to have as much as you like from the cold selection of fruit, meat, cheese etc as well as your choice from the cooked menu - which if delivered to your table. There is certainly no limit to the quantity of hot food available and we are more than happy to offer larger portions or additional items when requested. My sincere apologies that you had to return your eggs as they were under cooked.

If you have a moment I would very much appreciate it if you could take the time to send me an e-mail with a note of a phone number so that I may contact you. I would very much like the opportunity to discuss the problems that you experienced further and try to encourage you try us again the next time you are staying in Edinburgh. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk and I do hope to hear from you soon.

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Friendly & comfortable hotel with a very central position, parking is a bit of a problem but once there was a space the staff were very helpful, the pillows were a bit soft and it was a good job I took my body lotion! but the staff were great made our holiday much better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found my staff to be friendly and helpful. If you stay with us again and need body lotion please just let Reception know and they will arrange for it to be sent to your room. We always hold a complimentary supply just in case a guest requires some.

I do appreciate your kind review and hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Kent
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Perfect for short stopover visits. Pub and general store opposite. Restaurants a-plenty nearby. Good, simple own menu. Not overpriced like many other Edin hotels!
I have stayed here a couple of times on business, and I will rebook.

• Stayed September 2012
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest

It's great to read that you have used us before and plan to keep staying here. Repeat custom is really important and it is always good to hear that we have satisfied guests.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great room with a view of the castle in the Grassmarket area. Highly recommend this hotel. Staff very welcoming, rooms very clean. Cracking walk-in shower room. Cost £150 per room per night unless you book with Trivago - got the room for £64. Bargain.

Room Tip: Request a castle view