“Excellent city break”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #42 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a great hotel for a city break. In a really interesting location, close to the Castle and lots of interesting restaurants and shops. The room was clean, comfortable and roomy, the bathroom was adequate and very clean. It's worth taking the breakfast option, there is a good continental choice and the cooked items are freshly prepared to order (no self service, congealed eggs here!). The staff were professional and helpful, very quick check in and out. We didn't try the restaurant but would do next time based on the quality of the breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
LisaCameronDGM, Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review, I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your hearty breakfast whilst you stayed with us and that you found all our staff friendly & welcoming. I have shared your comments with my team and the City and hopefully we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful city in the near future.

Kind Regards
Lisa

Write a ReviewReviews (2,822)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed at the Apex City hotel for 3 nights from Saturday to Tuesday. As we arrived late at night we decided to get a taxi from Airport to Hotel as we weren't too sure of how far hotel was from Airlink bus stop. The taxi cost £20 and was about 20 mins travel time.
The hotel is very nice and modern. The bed was big and comfortable, lots of storage space, walk in shower with seperate bath, large TV with plenty of channels,and 3 chairs in the room with a small table,. Very adequate for the price we paid. If I was to have one criticism(and its an extremely minor one) the pillows are a bit too soft but i suppose that''s a personal preference for each individual.
The hotel is located in the Grassmarket area which has lots of bars/pubs/clubs in the vicinity.We had a room towards the back of the hotel which was very quiet especially during the busy St Patricks Day weekend where the area was buzzing. Its a short 5 min walk to the castle, 10 mins or so to Princes Street. There is a stop for the Sightseeing tour bus outside the hotel too.
We had an evening departure on Tuesday and the hotel were happy to keep our bags safe for us until we were ready to leave.This saved us dragging our bags around for the day.
All in all, very good value for money and would stay here again if I was in Edinburgh

1  Thank darraghke
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found both your room and the location of the hotel perfect for your needs. I also noted that you plan to stay with us again the next time you are in Edinburgh. When you make your reservation please let us know if you would like to stay in the same room again and we will do our best to make it happen.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Thankyou Apex City for a most enjoyable stay.
Our room was kept clean and tidy and the staff on reception and bar/restaurant were most obliging and curtious.
The food was spot on so thanks also to chef's and kitchen staff behind the scenes.
Would definately recommend this hotel.
We hope to be returning again soon.
We stayed for 3 nights. Wish it could have been longer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review - I will make a point of passing your praise to my staff. I am really glad you are thinking of staying with us again soon and If you would like the same room please let us know and we will do our best to allocate it to you.

Lindsay sturrock

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed at the Apex City Hotel in Edinburgh on the 13th March with my partner for 2 nights. Please note there is 2 Apex hotels on the same street (about 3 buildings away from each other) The Apex city (the one I stayed at) and the Apex International.

Check in is at 14:30, we arrived at 14:10 and our room wasn’t ready so we went and had a pint in one of the pubs close by (Fiddlers Elbow). When we returned a short while after we were handed a room, confirm a few details and swiped our credit card. The staffs weren’t particularly friendly which I was a surprise as everyone else’s reviews rave about how great the staff were. We weren’t told how to find our room or what time breakfast is etc. I was a little disappointed by this and we found our way to the room.

We were actually pleasantly surprised at how nice the room was. The bed was huge and I had requested in advance via e-mail for a room with a view of the castle. I quickly opened the curtains in the room to soak up the fantastic view. Thank Apex – really appreciated the view requested.

The bathroom has a lovely big shower however the bath is a lot smaller than your average size. I’m 5ft 6 and when I sat in the bath I couldn’t straighten my legs! If you lie back in the back and open the curtain you get a beautiful view of the castle – breath taking!.

I would defiantly recommend breakfast in bed! If you book in advance (via email) its actually cheaper £10 rather than £13.50. There is also a tray charge of £2.50 to your room. The breakfast menu is hanging on the back of the door, not very user friendly so had to ring reception for the lady to talk me through what was and wasn’t included in the price.

The room has tea and coffee making facilities, a safe and a fridge. Also shampoo, body wash and soap. I proper hair dryer is also in the room (no need to bring your own)
Check out was fine – Again the staff were quiet and didn’t ask how our stay was. Slightly disappointed by this. The one thing that did bother me was the clearer knocking on the door and opening the door at 9am to see if we had left. I was actually still in bed enjoying my breakfast… 9am is unacceptable for a cleaner to be doing this. Most people in this day and age will put the “please make up my room” sign on the door when they leave!.

We booked our flights and hotel via Expedia and got a very good rate on the room which was definitely worth it. I think if you shop around you’ll find the room cheaper than going direct to the web site.

All in all a lovely stay in a perfect location in the city. Walking distance to everything. Don’t forget to take a Mercat Tour (Ghost tour of the city vaults), bus tour (bus stop right out side of the hotel) Scots Monument (you can go right to the top), Arthurs Seat (dormant volcano) and much more…

Room Tip: E-mail the hotel in advance and request a room with a castle view! Also book breakfast in advance f...
1  Thank lynnie_dude

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am glad you liked your room and enjoyed your visit. I have also noted your comment regarding my staff and I am sorry that some of those you met failed to live up to our friendly reputation. This is really disappointing and I will make a point of reminding those that were on duty during your stay the importance of making guests feel welcome.

Thank you again for your review and I appreciate your feedback.

I do hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Situated next to the castle and a short walk to Princes Street and located at Grassmarket. Staff very friendly and hotel was nice and clean. Would recommend to anyone. Price is ok but got a good deal via Quidco and hotels.com

Room Tip: Akways worth asking for a room at the top away from front as it can be a little noisy at night.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and will recommend us to your friends. I will pass your compliments to my staff and I hope that you will come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The room was clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful whilst remaining professional. Location was good in an interesting part of the city. It was noisy outside on Friday night, but it was an international match weekend; I expect it would be quieter at other times. Quite expensive, but the prices at all hotels were this weekend were high.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms to be comfortable and my staff friendly. The Grassmarket certainly comes alive during a rugby international and I do hope you enjoyed the match?

I appreciate your review and hope you will come back and stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 night for the recent rugby international.

The room was very comfortable and functional, but the view of the car park from our window wasn't so attractive, however if you had a room at the front facing the Castle it would have much noisier with the amount of revellers in the street.

We ate in the hotel restaurant which was very good and the staff were very friendly.

The location of this hotel is excellent, but I felt it was a bit on the pricey side for what it offered. I have stayed in better hotels for much less, however for a rugby international weekend I supposed rooms are a premium.

I would stay here again, but I might look at some alternatives first though.

• Stayed: March 2013
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay with us. I m pleased that you found your room comfortable and the location of the hotel excellent. As you quite correctly mentioned our rooms do offer different views. The rooms at the front of the hotel have superb views of the Castle while the room you stayed in is particularly quiet considering our central location. If you stay with us again please let us know your preference upon arrival and we will ensure you are allocated an appropriate room.

My thanks again for your review and I hope you will stay with us again when the Welsh team return to Edinburgh.