“A luxurious stay in the heart of city”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #40 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A luxurious stay in the heart of city”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

A sumptuous hotel in the heart of Edinburgh with a view of the castle. Very efficient and friendly staff who cater to every need. There is a restaurant and bar as well as 24 hour room service.

The rooms are sumptuous, spacious and very quiet.

Room Tip: Very high class accommodation in a busy city location - yet noise from the street is minimal. Highl...
1 Thank Gillyanni
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review following your recent stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Me and my Boyfriend have just come back from another amazing 3 night stay at the Apex city hotel. Everything about the hotel from the moment we checked in until we checked out was perfect. We arrived at 11 and were told our room was available already which was fantastic after a 5 hour drive!! The location is perfect, right on the doorstep to grassmarket, I have no idea what the people saying they had a problem with the noise are on about, as we have stayed in different rooms, one overlooking the main road and had no noise, think people are just being picky and I would expect a tiny bit of noise if I'm staying in a hotel in the centre of a busy city, if you don't want noise, go to the countryside! The rooms were amazing again, always refreshed when we left the room everyday ( put the sign on the door,various people commenting that their room wasn't refreshed but I'd hazard a guess that they didn't put the 'please refresh my room' sign on the door!) tv absolutely huge, amazing shower and bath and comfy bed! The only tiny issue we had during our 3 night stay was on one of the mornings we ordered breakfast and the beans came in the smallest pot I have ever seen! But that is literally the only issue, and I'm sure had we asked for more we would have got them. At the end of the day we come to Edinburgh to see the city and have a nice relaxing break and the hotel provided the perfect base for us. Will definitely be coming back to Edinburgh and I wouldn't stay anywhere else other that Apex City Hotel. Thank You for another wonderful stay!! :)

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Madelineemily
Dear Guest

It was really pleasing to read your review, particularly that you have stayed with us before and continue to enjoy your visits. Your feedback is very positive and I will ensure that a copy is available for my staff to read.

The next time you stay with us please just indicate on your breakfast card that you would like a large portion of beans and they will be delivered with your breakfast at no extra cost. I'm sorry you felt the portion was on the small side on this occasion.

I do hope you will stay with us again and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

The service in this hotel was good from start to finish. The location in the Grassmarket was ideal for visiting the galleries and the castle and the museum. It is not an attractive building but the hotel is typically modern city chic in the interior. The roomsare of reasonable size with all the conveniences you would expect with some nice touches (such as the hide-away hairdryer, heat mat and power points in the desk. Good wardrobe space and storage. Separate bath and shower, although the bath was not full sized. No full length mirror sadly. My room over looked Heriot Bridge side street and was very quiet - I could have the window open without it being too noisy. Room service was a mixed bag, although they did have quite a lot of options. The risotto was a bit on the bland side, but their burger was amazing - I am not usually a burger fan. Unfortunately the banana sponge was over cooked in a microwave with a burnt solid base. The butterscotch sauce also tasted burnt. I was there for 3 nights and managed to park at the hotel for 2 of the nights but spaces are limited and one night I had to use the parking at the sister hotel, the Apex International just 50 yards down the street for a couple of quid more than the tenner I was charged at the City. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank lee f
Dear Guest

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be comfortable and well located. I am particularly glad you felt you received good service and will pass your compliments to my staff.

With regard to your room service I am sorry that you did not enjoy some of the dishes as much as others. I will make sure my Head Chef is aware of your comments so we can look to improve our menu and presentation further.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I scored a great February rate of £68.84 a night with a £10 voucher against food or drink because i booked direct with the company.
I requested a quiet room and we got one, 4th floor back view, towards my old school.
Front rooms have excellent castle view but there can be street/party weekend noise.
One bedside lamp shade was broken and the window blind was detatching but everything else for three days and nights was very good.
Short bath, large shower, good products. Huge TV. Coffee and tea and biscuits.
I requested housekeeping change the doona thing for sheet and blankets but it was not done.
Great bar/restaurant and access to the swimming pool at the other Apex hotel near by.
Staff were charming!

1 Thank f2s
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was really pleased to read that you found my staff "charming" and your room quiet. I have also noted your comment regarding the broken lamp shade and blind and will instruct my Head Housekeeper to immediately check all the 4th floor bedrooms so we can have them replaced or repaired. I appreciate you bringing these points to my attention.

Hopefully you will be back in Edinburgh again soon and will stay with us again.

uk
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Should have known I was in for a sleepless stay when I arrived on the room to find ear plugs by the bed. It was midnight before the real issue arose and it never stopped until 4 in the morning. Drunken Louts shouting outside in the street.

Restaurant was bland with dreadful ambience caused by poor layout and awful music. Service was ok and food the same.

Access to the hotel was by steps which make fir a poor experience when you have luggage and mobility issues!

Nothing about this place was memorable apart from the lack if sleep

Overall an average place with no soul

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank billandden
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review - I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us due to the noise from the street outside. As I have mentioned in other reviews we have rooms at the front of the hotel offering fabulous views of the Castle, but they can sometimes be noisy at the weekend. We do however also have many exceptionally quiet rooms to the rear of the hotel. If you let us know in advance, or upon arrival, that you would prefer a quiet room we are always happy to oblige. I am unsure how many nights you stayed with us, but if it was for more than one we would have been happy to change your room the next day if you had let us know.

With regard to the steps at the front of the hotel we also have an entrance at the side which has direct entry to reception and does not have any steps. If we have guests staying with mobility problems we always recommend they use the side door.

I am sorry that you did not have restful night but do hope you still enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here for one night in February.

Great location just behind/below the Castle in Grass Market, checkin was swift as was checkout in the morning and they were happy to hold my bag as I had some breakfast (£10 for Breakfast).

Breakfast has the usual affaair of cooked, pastries fruit etc.

The hotel is in a great location with plenty of shops, restaurants, cafes, bars within walking distance. I noticed some halal restaurants just up the road from the hotel if that is of interest.

Be careful as their is a Apex Hotel and then this Apex City hotel, they are virtually next to each other but would be annoying if you ended up at the wrong one after parking and unloading you luggage.

Sadly it only has parking for 5-6 cars in a very small courtyard, this is chraged at £10 per day.

Rooms were adequate, clean and spacious. TV was fine and bathroom clean.

Overall I was happy and would stay again.

Took us about 30 mins to get to the airport in the morning leaving at 8:00am

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay with us. It was very kind of you to give us such a positive score and it is very much appreciated.

As you quite correctly mentioned we do have a small car park at the back of the hotel which can accommodate 10-cars on a first come basis. Should our car park become full it is possible to park at our sister hotel next door. We also have access to a discount rate at the local NCP car park if required.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return again very soon.

Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This my second review of this hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there two years ago that we decided to visit the Apex City again. The location is so centrally located in the lovely Grassmarket area. As we thought breakfast was a little expensive at the hotel (as they are in many hotels these days) there were plenty of options nearby. We especially like the 'Hula Juice Bar'. The staff at the hotel reception were very friendly at all times and most welcoming. We had a nice spacious room on the fourth floor (we had asked for a quiet room). It was clean and nicely decorated. The bed was extremely comfortable. There was also a large tv in the room and a lovely shower in the bathroom. On leaving we were able to leave our cases at the hotel until it was time for our train. It is about 15-20 minute walk from Waverly train station (or you can easily take a taxi). The hotel is within easy reach to all major attractions including The Royal Mile and Princess Street. I would definately recommend this hotel again and we will be back again for a visit to this lovely city soon.

Room Tip: There is a nice view in the front of the castle and Grassmarket or for a quiter room as for a side r...
Dear Guest

I was pleased to read from your review that this was your second stay with us, and that you plan to stay again the next time you visit Edinburgh.

Positive feedback is always motivational for my staff and I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. As you pointed out we have rooms with a view and quieter rooms at the back of the hotel. It is always good when we know a guest's preference so we can ensure they enjoy their visit.

I hope you won't leave it too long until you stay with us again.

Best wishes