“Sleepless in Edinburgh”

Ranked #40 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
uk
“Sleepless in Edinburgh”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Should have known I was in for a sleepless stay when I arrived on the room to find ear plugs by the bed. It was midnight before the real issue arose and it never stopped until 4 in the morning. Drunken Louts shouting outside in the street.

Restaurant was bland with dreadful ambience caused by poor layout and awful music. Service was ok and food the same.

Access to the hotel was by steps which make fir a poor experience when you have luggage and mobility issues!

Nothing about this place was memorable apart from the lack if sleep

Overall an average place with no soul

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank billandden
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review - I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us due to the noise from the street outside. As I have mentioned in other reviews we have rooms at the front of the hotel offering fabulous views of the Castle, but they can sometimes be noisy at the weekend. We do however also have many exceptionally quiet rooms to the rear of the hotel. If you let us know in advance, or upon arrival, that you would prefer a quiet room we are always happy to oblige. I am unsure how many nights you stayed with us, but if it was for more than one we would have been happy to change your room the next day if you had let us know.

With regard to the steps at the front of the hotel we also have an entrance at the side which has direct entry to reception and does not have any steps. If we have guests staying with mobility problems we always recommend they use the side door.

I am sorry that you did not have restful night but do hope you still enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here for one night in February.

Great location just behind/below the Castle in Grass Market, checkin was swift as was checkout in the morning and they were happy to hold my bag as I had some breakfast (£10 for Breakfast).

Breakfast has the usual affaair of cooked, pastries fruit etc.

The hotel is in a great location with plenty of shops, restaurants, cafes, bars within walking distance. I noticed some halal restaurants just up the road from the hotel if that is of interest.

Be careful as their is a Apex Hotel and then this Apex City hotel, they are virtually next to each other but would be annoying if you ended up at the wrong one after parking and unloading you luggage.

Sadly it only has parking for 5-6 cars in a very small courtyard, this is chraged at £10 per day.

Rooms were adequate, clean and spacious. TV was fine and bathroom clean.

Overall I was happy and would stay again.

Took us about 30 mins to get to the airport in the morning leaving at 8:00am

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay with us. It was very kind of you to give us such a positive score and it is very much appreciated.

As you quite correctly mentioned we do have a small car park at the back of the hotel which can accommodate 10-cars on a first come basis. Should our car park become full it is possible to park at our sister hotel next door. We also have access to a discount rate at the local NCP car park if required.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return again very soon.

Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This my second review of this hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there two years ago that we decided to visit the Apex City again. The location is so centrally located in the lovely Grassmarket area. As we thought breakfast was a little expensive at the hotel (as they are in many hotels these days) there were plenty of options nearby. We especially like the 'Hula Juice Bar'. The staff at the hotel reception were very friendly at all times and most welcoming. We had a nice spacious room on the fourth floor (we had asked for a quiet room). It was clean and nicely decorated. The bed was extremely comfortable. There was also a large tv in the room and a lovely shower in the bathroom. On leaving we were able to leave our cases at the hotel until it was time for our train. It is about 15-20 minute walk from Waverly train station (or you can easily take a taxi). The hotel is within easy reach to all major attractions including The Royal Mile and Princess Street. I would definately recommend this hotel again and we will be back again for a visit to this lovely city soon.

Room Tip: There is a nice view in the front of the castle and Grassmarket or for a quiter room as for a side r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I was pleased to read from your review that this was your second stay with us, and that you plan to stay again the next time you visit Edinburgh.

Positive feedback is always motivational for my staff and I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. As you pointed out we have rooms with a view and quieter rooms at the back of the hotel. It is always good when we know a guest's preference so we can ensure they enjoy their visit.

I hope you won't leave it too long until you stay with us again.

Best wishes

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed at The Apex City Hotel a few times now and it really is a super place to stay. It is extremely comfortable, well equipped and freshly decorated. The staff are all very friendly and highly motivated to ensuring that your stay is a good one, nothing is too much for them. The food served at the hotel's restaurant Agua is absolutely divine, first class, and although we do like to try other hotels we seem to keep coming back to this one time and time again. The location is great being in the Grassmarket, with so much to do and see so close at hand. We look forward to our next visit very much.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front have a great view of the castle and Grassmarket.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review. It was great to read that you keep returning to us as repeat custom is usually a sign that you are doing things well. Your comments regarding my staff are most welcome and I will make a point of showing them your feedback.

I do hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I couldnt fault this hotel if i tried from before we arrived til we picked up our bags to catch the plane the staff were nottin but helpful ! I called a few days before to see if i could get nice room as it was a surprise for my bf n they couldnt be more helpful on arrival our room wasnt ready but they took our bags off us no trouble when we finally made it bck to the room it was lovely great view of the castle lovely lil red apex duck and everything was spotless ! What ever we asked for at reception be it were to eat what to visit shower caps champange glasses everything they couldnt do it quick enough or friendly enough ! The reason i picked the hotel was as a surprise last year my bf booked the apex city hotel london so i booked the city of edinburgh and it defo didnt disappoint , would defo use the hotel again if i was back in edinburgh notting was a hassel to get too as it is in a great location !!

Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your really positive feedback. I am very pleased you and your boyfriend had a great time and you liked your room.

Now that you have started your Apex duck collection I do hope you won’t leave it too long to stay with us again - our ducks can get very lonely on their own! If you let me know when you next make a reservation to stay at the hotel I will ensure your duck has a little green companion waiting for him in your bathroom.
Your review is very much appreciated and I hope you will return soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed here for the weekend of the Scotland / Italy game in 2013 for the 6 Nations.

I had read some comments about the hotel being noisy at the front, so I emailed the hotel the week prior and asked for a quiet high floor room. We ended up with the best of both worlds as we had a quiet room (window open all night) with the castle still visible from the window.

Very smart / modern check in, friendly efficient staff. Room was an ideal size, modern decor with a massive 40" TV on the wall. Room was spotless as was bathroom. Bathroom was decent size with separate walk in shower. Water pressure and temperature was excellent.

Breakfast was stunning. Had the full option both days, and was served hot and freshly cooked. Friendly efficient staff again at breakfast.

The heating in the hotel seemed to be on full blast, it was very warm in the breakfast area, and in the corridors on the way to the rooms. Room was ok as we had the window open.

Location is right in the middle of Grassmarket, and about a 8-10 min walk to Waverley Station or anywhere in central Edinburgh.

I would absolutely reccomend this hotel, and would return for a second stay straight away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Al_McK75
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind review. I was really pleased to read that, not only did you enjoy your stay, you would both recommend us and plan to stay again. Reading your review I am guessing you stayed with us for the rugby? If you did I'm sure Scotland's victory helped you enjoy your stay - unless of course you were supporting Italy!

My thanks again for your review and I hope you will return again very soon.

Shanghai
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is a great hotel to stay in if you are in Edinburgh and want to explore from a central position. It's in the Old Town, so be prepared to taxi or climb if you trun up by train at the Waverley Station, but if you arrive by car there is a handy car park. The City and the International are close together, but if you've parked and unpacked by the time you realise you are at the wrong Apex, staff are accommodating - we left the car in the bigger car park at the International and walked the few doors along to the City branch. Rooms are pleasantly decorated and comfy for business or a short break.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex City hotel following your recent stay with us. I am glad that you had a good stay and found our location handy for visiting the many attractions Edinburgh has to offer.

I do hope that you will get the chance to visit Edinburgh again in the near future and will consider staying once more at this hotel.