“old town modern hotel”

Ranked #42 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Shanghai
“old town modern hotel”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is a great hotel to stay in if you are in Edinburgh and want to explore from a central position. It's in the Old Town, so be prepared to taxi or climb if you trun up by train at the Waverley Station, but if you arrive by car there is a handy car park. The City and the International are close together, but if you've parked and unpacked by the time you realise you are at the wrong Apex, staff are accommodating - we left the car in the bigger car park at the International and walked the few doors along to the City branch. Rooms are pleasantly decorated and comfy for business or a short break.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex City hotel following your recent stay with us. I am glad that you had a good stay and found our location handy for visiting the many attractions Edinburgh has to offer.

I do hope that you will get the chance to visit Edinburgh again in the near future and will consider staying once more at this hotel.

Lindsay Sturrock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband are just back from a 2 nyt stay here and I must say this hotel is fabulous!! The staff are very friendly and the rooms themselves are very clean and tidy! Breakfast was delicious both mornings and set us up for the entire day! We will be staying here again next time we visit edinburgh!!

• Stayed February 2013
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind review of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and am particularly pleased that you plan to stay with us again the next time you are in Edinburgh.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed here for the weekend and highly recommend it. Staff were friendly, room was modern and spacious, used the £10 voucher on room service which was good but the most importantly the location is fantastic. Close proximity to several good restaurants, pubs and clubs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found time to spend the £10.00 food and beverage voucher we gave you for booking directly with the hotel.

I'm glad you found our location excellent and hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Lindsay sturrock
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I booked this hotel for a weekend away with my Mum. The location is fantastic, but there is a price to pay for the Grassmarket location, particularly at the weekend...and that is the noise!

The twin rooms are all on one side of the building and on our first night we were at the end of a corridor where at least two hen parties were also staying, add this to the noise from the people leaving Grassmarket and it meant I probably had about two hours sleep on our first night. First thing the next morning I went to ask reception whether they had another room we could swap to & they were so, so helpful. They put us on a twin room on the fourth floor, so the noise from the street wasn't so bad and also gave me two sets of earplugs, which tickled me!

The hotel itself does seem to need a spruce, in our first room on the ground floor there were patches of wall that were bubbled from damp and the seal had all come loose around the bath. In both rooms there was such a draft through the closed window that the blinds moved. Had it not been for the central location & the high level of service from the staff I would have said this was a three-star hotel, certainly not a four.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my request for information regarding the room you stayed in. As I explained I was unaware of the bubbling paint behind the full length curtains, however I have now investigated fully and discovered that an external pipe was leaking into the wall. This has now been repaired and the bedroom wall painted. I am sorry that we had not picked this up sooner.

It was good to hear that you really enjoyed your stay and found my staff friendly and I do hope that you will return soon.

York
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night. I emailed the hotel prior to arriving to check if I could leave our bag at reception as our train arrived early. They emailed back to say this was OK. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised that our room was ready at 10.30am and it did have a view of the castle which we had requested. The room was OK, the bathroom was a good size especially the walk in shower. The shower did leak from the hose, but it was adequate. The only criticism is that the room is a little tired - chips off the furniture. Also the carpet could do with a good clean. The bar was nice. We didn't think the drinks were overly expensive although the glasses of wine were more expensive than normal. Can't comment on the food as it was a room only rate. The location of the hotel on Grassmarket was good. The worst thing was the noise, if a large group of people were in reception making a lot of noise this seemed to carry up the stairs and it was like a whole group of people were outside your door. The hotel did provide earplugs on each bedside cabinet so that should have given us a clue! Would I return? Not sure. Maybe, but take my own earplugs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to read that you found your room to be quite noisy. Unfortunately some of the rooms at the front of the hotel can be a little noisy at the weekends due to our central location. The Grassmarket is a very popular area thanks to the many pubs and restaurants.
Reading your review I am unsure whether you let us know you were unhappy with your room. It is our normal policy to offer guests a room move to a different part of the building if they are not 100% satisfied, as we have many other rooms that are particularly quiet, but don't offer the same views of the Castle.

With regard to the chips on the furniture in your room; if you would be so kind as to e-mail me with a note of your room number I will arrange for my maintenance team to have the furniture repaired immediately. My e-mail address is - lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

Thank you again for your review and if you stay with us in the future please let reception know when you arrive that you would prefer a quiet room and we will make sure we allocate you a room to the rear of the building.

Luxembourg
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights to attend a wedding. Receptionist was very friendly and helpful on arrival. Rooms are spacious, clean and well serviced. Location of hotel is excellent and within minutes from many major attractions, as well as the shopping streets. I only had breakfast here the first morning. Choice of continental or full Scottish, which is served at your table. I can highly recommend this hotel for its value for money, friendly staff, clean and spacious rooms and excellent location.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Henry D
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Apex City hotel. I am really pleased you marked us with 5-stars and would highly recommend us. Compliments are always very welcome and I do hope that you will find the time to come and stay with us again in the near future.

Forres, Scotland
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights whilst attending a course at the sister International hotel just a few doors down.
Good location-10 min walk from train station.
Hotel is nice and modern. Friendly staff at check-in.
Was booked in a twin room which I was going to have to share with another colleague. The beds were pushed together - I was able to move them apart but only about a foot as not a huge room but we coped.
Beds a bit too soft for my liking but I slept well - nice bedding and pillows.
Big wall mounted tv and plenty of storage space.
Loved the bathrooms - nice walk in shower. Elemis shampoo & shower gel but no conditioner or body lotion - I did manage to get a conditioner from reception at the International. Like another poster I suggest popping these items into the room.
The duck is a novel idea - gives them a USP but I would have preferred the body lotion and conditioner to be provided.
Nice selection of teas, coffees & hot chocolate and biscuits.
View wasn't great out the back but didn't mind as it was quiet.
Used the pool and gym at the International hotel. Was very nice and the 3 times I used it I had both to myself.
Only ate at the International whilst attending the course so unable to comment on food served in City. Breakfast was £10.50 or you can order a grab and go bag from £4.50 with a selection of filled rolls and hot drink. I just had my breakfast bars as didn't feel like a big breakfast.
The cost was £80 a night which is not bad for weekday and good to be able to use the leisure facilities at other hotel.
I would return with my friends or family if I got a good deal.

Room Tip: If you want the view then opt for front of hotel. If you want quiet the back I would imagine is best...