“Great location, brilliant staff....”

Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #39 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel has a great location, in Edinburgh's Grassmarket. The amenities are also good. But it is the staff who lift it into another class; they are friendly, helpful and very good at what they do. We had a couple of minor dramas during our stay, but thanks to staff like Vinni, Robert and the two bar guys who share the same name (which escapes me) everything was sorted and we left having had a fantastic stay. The hospitality and helpfulness was above and beyond. Thanks guys, we will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the castle!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Lindsay S, General Manager at Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Guest

Having just read your glowing review of the Apex City hotel I will make a point of personally thanking those members of staff you have highlighted - I know they will be pleased. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and note that you plan to return in the future.

Thank you again for your review.

Lindsay sturrock

There are newer reviews for Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Great little hotel behind Edinburgh Castle. Stone throw's distance from Royal Mile, castle and other places of interest. Clean and well maintained. Staff was courteous and helpful. Will definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for marking the hotel as excellent in all areas - I really do appreciate your kind comments and score. I do hope that you will find the time to stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The Apex is in a great location right bang in the middle of the grass market we were there for just the one night and found our room very clean and well presented, the bed is very comfy and the bathroom spacious with a great shower. nice reception area staff were really helpful and friendly. we booked with breakfast included and that was just lovely too very nice quality food. the only reason I've dropped it from 5 to 4 stars was in some places the hotel a bit rough round the edges i.e. patchy paint work in our room, nasty looking grout in the shower, chipped table tops in the restaurant.. hyper critical I know but should be pointed out seeing as this is 4* rated by both the AA & Scottish tourist board. we had a stunning view of the castle after a room upgrade, all in all it's a lovely hotel and I would go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ccookies

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked the hotel and would be happy to return to us again in the future. If you could possibly drop me an e-mail with a note of the room you stayed in I will make sure the hotel maintenance department have the walls painted to return the room to the original mark free condition. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just returned from 2 nights at the Apex City to start off the New Year. Price was pretty good, although to be fair most of Edinburgh seemed to be having a new year sale on rooms at the time, and the location is excellent.
Check in was smooth despite arriving slightly before official times due to an early train, and a ready room was allocated immediately. The room itself was nice and clean, and a decent size. Couple of little care points being the deadbolt on the main door wouldn't work, and self closer wasn't doing its job but apart from that I couldn't fault it. There wasn't a view (room was at the back) but it was nice and quiet - despite sleeping with the window open we didn't experience any noise at night. One nice thing that normally niggles me - the TV didn't have any additional 'hotel' menus - it was just a TV. This meant the menus and program guide worked properly.
Didn't sample breakfast or any of the food / drink offerings, so can't comment on them, but again on checkout the staff were excellent, asking if we would like to leave our bags for a bit before I managed to get in with the question.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review following your recent stay at the Apex City hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and would appreciate it if you could take the time to drop me a short e-mail advising me which room you stayed in so that I can ensure the self closer is repaired.

I look forward to hearing from you - my e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights just after Hogmanay had finished. Wonderful service, well greeted and the rooms were lovely. Great walk in shower/wet rooms and spacious wardrobe storage. Large tv in the room and very comfortable beds. Value for money was fantastic and it's location meant easy access to attractions

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Guest

It is always good to start the New Year receiving good comments and I really appreciate your positive feedback. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I hope you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

This a lovely, modern hotel with a great view of the castle. The staff are friendly and helpful, the hotel and the rooms are exceptionally clean and finished to a high standard. The Royal Mile and many of Edinburgh's attractions are only a short walk away. We also made use of the 'Yu Time' spa in the neighbouring Apex International Hotel which was pleasant and we enjoyed a set Hogmanay Meal in the Agua Bar, the food was amazing.

The only negative was the noise of the heating/air con throughout the night but it didn't impact our stay and we will certainly recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex City hotel. Your feedback was very complimentary and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. If you have a moment to spare please let me know which room you stayed in so that I can have the heating system checked as it should not be noisy. My e-mail address is lindsay.sturrock@apexhotels.co.uk

Kind regards

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Couldn't really complain at this hotel, Nice family room, Nice big TV, very comfortable. Breakfasts where very nice. Very central location for both the castle the shops. Would recommend. Staff where friendly. Only slight concern is that they share the car park with the neighbouring hotel - we got a parking space but it was luck more than good judgement!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of the Apex City hotel; I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We actually have a small car park at the back of the hotel, which is on a first come basis. Once that is full we have an arrangement with our sister hotel - next door, whereby our guests can use their car park. Should that also be full we have negotiated a discount at the local NCP car park for our residents to use.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you will stay with us again in the near future.