“Cooked Breakfast is Awful”

Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile
Ranked #55 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Cooked Breakfast is Awful”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I hate to sound a negative note. I've stayed at Ibis before many times in various places, including Edinburgh. This time I was disappointed. Good points: location, staff and bed comfort. Bad points: the rooms are just too small for the price, TV is dated, cups/glasses which I took to my room were persistently left there by cleaning staff. The worst thing was the cooked breakfast. Dry bacon, dry egg, black sausages, everything cold. I just avoided anything cooked by the third day and stuck to continental. Avoid. There are restaurants virtually next door which offer good breakfasts at similar prices. Ibis must decide whether its a budget hotel in which case they should charge budget prices OR a good hotel in which case they should be a good hotel. No comparison to Premier Inn.

Room Tip: Choose the 6th floor which gives a rooftop view of Old Edinbrugh.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerIbis, Assistant Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Staff were really helpful and friendly. Late check in, late check out (12pm... perfect!) and the rooms were really really clean and cleaned very well daily. The rooms were large, my friend has a bad back so needs to sleep on the floor. They gave him extra blankets and sheets and did not charge us anything extra.This is also the best situated hotel in Edinburgh. Perfect for ALL the guided tours, for the castle, for the old town but even also for the new town because just down the hill in a straight line from the hotel over the Royal Mile you're in the New Town and the train station! Really perfect, I'm so happy we stayed here! Yes there's a bar next door but we stayed Thurs and Fri night and didn't really hear much music after 11pm so we slept well no problems!

Room Tip: Get room 220 we had an excellent view (in the sense of the street) and it's far enough away from...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerIbis, Assistant Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Manchester
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We have just returned home from staying Edinburgh. This hotel is central to almost everywhere you want to visit of importance. The room for two was a good size and very clean.The staff were very helpful, and the hotel always looked busy. There's a mini bar if you wanted a wee dram before venturing out into the city, and we did, it was very cold but dry. For a little extra of £7.50, you can have breakfast at the hotel. We did, buffet style, but very adequate, and it set us up for the sightseeing ahead. There's a pub across the square, and a couple of buildings down. The castle is nearby as is St.Giles' Cathedral.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerIbis, Assistant Manager at Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Pleasantly surprised. Lovely clean large room. Very helpful and knowledgeable staff on reception.
Situation of hotel could not be better if you want to be in the old town. Did not sample breakfast as wanted to try local cafes. Handy pub next door and restaurants within seconds. Good for Grassmarket and castle.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed here one night to attend a conference in November 2013. I booked on-line and was surprised with the excellent location. It is a budget hotel - and you do get what you pay for, but it was good enough for ne night. The location did balance out the somewhat Spartan facilities. The room was ok, the bed comfortable, the view .. well there wasn't one, But I hardly expected to see herds of wildebeest grazing the Serengeti in a city centre. All was well until about 3 am when I was awoken by some load noise that kept me awake - at 4.30 I could take no more and rang reception who came up to try to sort it - unsuccessfully. Now I was on the 6th floor and it was entirety possible this was a rooftop noise caused by heavy wind. But .. it still kept me awake. At 7am I decided to get up and take a shower... but the shower didn't work. Now I was a bit cross, but felt a bit like I was saying in Fawlty Towers. At breakfast I asked to see the manager, expecting to be given a free breakfast in recompose. However, Jose (not Manuel!) the manger was very sympathetic and not only gave me a free breakfast, but 50% off the price of the room. So I can't complain. breakfast is pretty standard, but they might get better, more substantial food containers.

Overall it was ok, I'd probably stay again, but not if I was going for a relaxing holiday weekend, I'd probably pay more and stay in The Carlton or somewhere more up-market. All power to Jose though.

Room Tip: If it is windy so not stay on the 6th floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile. Your feedback is very important to us and we have noted your comments about the noise.
I hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.