“Fantastic staff & gorgeous hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dunstane Hotel

The Dunstane Hotel
Ranked #14 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Landstuhl, Germany
“Fantastic staff & gorgeous hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

This gorgeous hotel has the most amazing staff. Extremely high level of customer service. The best that I've experienced in the 10 European countries I've visited. The rooms are absolutely charming, clean & comfortable. And it is quite a lovely walk to the city center. We loved our stay at the Dunstane that we cancelled an extra day in the highlands just to come back and enjoy the Dunstane and city of Edinburg one extra night. Hats off to their amazing staff. Great job ladies & gents!!

• Stayed May 2014
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
WOW! Thank you so much for that wonderful praise - I am just going into a staff meeting so I will make sure that they all know what you have said. It really does make it worth while for them.

I really hope we see you the next time you are in Edinburgh - please let me know if you are coming again, I am sure I can organise you a special deal!

Best Wishes

Samantha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Randomly selected the Dunstane from Trip Advisor and so glad I did! All the staff we very friendly from the start. A special mention should go to Samantha and Kirsty who were smiling so much every time I saw them or asked for advice, I thought they may have just been given a pay rise? ( although in my opinion they should have!)
Rooms were spotless and clean, the breakfast very tasty and the location just right for the city centre £1.50 or a 10 minute walk. No lifts in the hotel which is why everyone looks so fit!!! Great experience and would recommend thoroughly.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BadBob100
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hello!

It is so nice to hear your review after your stay! I am absolutely delighted that we impressed you and I do hope if you are ever in the area again you will remember us!

I look forward to seeing you in the future

Kind Regards

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Stayed in the main house – Room 14.

Arrived with mother at gate to find stairs – a struggle with 3 suitcases. Left my 60 year old mother outside and went in – the lovely Kirstie and James offered to help without any hesitation – James even delivered them to our room.

Check in very efficient , very friendly staff. Tour of dining room and then shown to room which was a great size, clean and nice amenities.

Breakfast was great, buffet and table service. Gluten free bread available!!! Fresh fruit also on table.

Nothing was to much trouble for the staff at these hotels. Kirstie was happy to book us into a day bus tour as we didn’t have a phone. We were also given maps, tips of where to go etc.

Ate dinner downstairs 3/5 of the nights we stayed. Met Jamie on the first night. Awesome guy – extremely helpful, very funny and all round lovely. Nothing was to hard for him.

Chef was able to modify dishes to suit dietary requirements.

Staff were calling us by name and always greeting us and asking how our day was.

Second dinner – they had run out of the two dishes that we had ordered. We had our first experience of a rude staff member (hadn't met her before) who just shrugged her shoulders at us. We requested a different waiter…all was good.

Laundry service was good also! Bathroom was very hot even with the fan on. Might just be us Australians!!

Check out was easy, Samantha very friendly and booked us a taxi and helped with luggage as did James again!!!

Would definitely recommend this place to family and friends, it is close to everything, 5 minutes from the train station and 15 minutes from the main city center.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hello!

thank you so much for remembering us upon your return home! And thank you for sharing your photo on Facebook also! Every little helps!

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we were happy to help you with the planning of your trips and luggage etc. Unfortunately because we are a listed building we don't have lifts but the staff are always on hand to help with bags! Don't hesitate to ask us!

I hope you remember us if you are ever in the UK again, it would be so lovely to have you back.

Thanks,

Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

We have just returned from three nights at this hotel. It was excellent, the rooms were exceptionally clean and comfortable, well furnished and serviced. Although on a busy road, the rooms were very quiet.
The food at the hotel restaurant was also very good, well prepared and presented. Breakfast excellent. Staff were welcoming and helpful . Just a few minutes by bus to Princess Street, the Dunstane is idea for the visitor to Edinburgh.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lyon1960
Dear StKevins

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We are so pleased that you liked our hotel. Please come back and see us again soon, let me know when and I will be happy to sort out a great deal for you!

Kind Regards
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I am writing about a reservation issue that was so unpleasant that I am writing my first review on tripadvisor.

I called the Dunstane House Hotel recently to make reservations 6 months in advance of our first visit to Scotland. I had a long conversation with their reservation clerk to ensure that a member of our group with severe mobility restrictions could be adequately accommodated. I was also only interested in staying in the main hotel after reading other Tripadvisor reviews. After exploring all of our options I was able to confirm first floor rooms in the main hotel that would make our stay possible.

Imagine my surprise, when shortly afterwards, I received the following email:

"I spoke with you on the phone earlier regarding a booking at the hotel. Unfortunately I have promised you rooms which have already been promised to another guest who booked a while ago with severe mobility issues… I am ever so sorry about this."

Oddly enough, he and I were on the phone together for at least thirty minutes - and even jointly looked at Orbitz online to compare what seemed to be a pricing discrepancy - and both his own and the third party site shown these rooms to be available!

I have since spoken to the manager of the Dunstane House Hotel who gave me a completely different story. According to her, in an "amazing, first time ever coincidence" someone else was booking these exact same rooms, also six months in advance, also with mobility problems and the "system" accepted their reservations first. And, so sorry, those were the only first floor rooms in the main hotel. Unfortunately, however, the most believable part of her explanation was that, while we were trying to reserve three nights, the other party was booking a two-week stay - need one say more?

This has been such a unique and unpleasant experience, the explanations so unbelievable, and the discrepancy between the 'instantaneous online conflict' and the 'booked a while ago' explanations so irreconcilable, that I can only offer my personal "beware" to anyone looking to make arrangements at the Dunstane house.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank NicholasK55
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear NicholasK55

I would like to say how disappointed and upset I am that you have come to Trip Advisor regarding the recent problem with your booking, considering the amount of time and effort we have spent in attempting to rectify the situation.

The request that you made for a ground floor room unfortunately coincided with someone else's request for a ground floor room for the same dates, which is why we were unable to accommodate you. I note that you obviously do not believe this due to your sarcastic tone in the review, but I can promise you that this is entirely the case and is just an unfortunate co-incidence. it would not matter if you booked 6 months or three years in advance - if someone else has already booked those rooms unfortunately my hands are tied.

I would like to point out to clarify for other customers that we do still have rooms for sale on line as we do have other deluxe rooms int he building available that are not on the ground floor. It was only this specific request of your that we are unable to accommodate, not your stay in general.

My reservations team have offered you numerous solutions as have I myself and unfortunately I found it impossible to reason with you on the phone as you seemed determined to believe me a liar. As other guests will doubtless see from our wonderful reviews on here we are highly rated for our customer service and go above an beyond for our guests in every way. It is not our policy to not take a booking for no reason at all and certainly we were not singling you out.

This has been an unfortunate incident that you failed to understand and has resulted in the upset of a couple of members of staff, which I deeply regret as they are so customer focused in their work and deserve nothing but praise for what they do; which in every other review they have received.

Regards,

Management
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here recently for an event at nearby murrayfield, the hotel is really nice and I imagine a lovely place for leisure as well as business. I arrived right near the end of room service time and had to swap rooms and pre pay as I was leaving early but none of this caused any issues at all. The gentleman on reception couldn't have been more accommodating.

Food was nice and Molton brown toiletries were better quality than you get at much more expensive places.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Hello Snowflake_girl

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to review us. I am glad we were able to accommodate your late arrival properly and without fuss - we really like to make your stay as easy as possible - especially if you are here on business as we understand how tiring that can be!

Please think of us next time you are in Edinburgh - we'd love to have you back!

Best regards

Lisburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely perfect place, very handy it everywhere and the food was beautiful! Lovely clean room and very good facilities. Staff was very helpful and would stay again anytime! Best hotel I've ever stayed in!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reuben H

Thank you so much for that! I am delighted that your weekend was 'perfect' - do come and see us again and we will try and better perfection!!

Best Wishes