“Wonderful Hogmanay trip”
Review of The Dunstane Hotel

The Dunstane Hotel
Ranked #8 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife and I, having married in early December, decided to book Dunstane House as the base for our honeymoon/Hogmanay celebrations following a not insubstantial amount of research into similar establishments. We made our initial enquiries very early in 2013 and before Dunstane House had actually resolved what packages they would be offering, however they did advise that this was the case and were in contact in short order afterwards. This was pleasing as everywhere else suggested that we make contact again later in the year even though our e-mail could simply have been added to a mailing list or equivalent as we had expressed definite interest.

In the build-up to our arrival I was in contact with the hotel as I sought to arrange some extra embellishments to our stay and the staff were very helpful with advice on prices and when items needed to be ordered by. Similarly, as my wife has severe allergies to certain foodstuffs, the front of house staff liaised with the head chef to ensure that the kitchen was fully briefed on any potential issues and advised accordingly. I am very happy to say that the food she enjoyed was the same as everyone else and not a compromised menu.

Upon arrival the staff were very friendly and took us straight to our room which we found to be spacious and very well appointed. Room service was prompt and efficient and we took the opportunity to rest on one of the most comfortable beds we have ever had! After getting ready (the shower is very good, even better than ours and we have a good shower!) we took a drink in the bar which, although small, is comfortable, relaxing and tastefully decorated. Dinner on all nights was of excellent quality and cooked exactly as ordered, something we often have difficulty in achieving as steak, for example, invariably arrives overcooked in comparison to our wishes.

The staff deserve a mention as they were all impeccably professional, well attired and friendly too, organising taxis for us when we wished to travel to places in the city we were unfamiliar with and being very personable at all times; they certainly added to our enjoyment of the trip.

Location-wise, this hotel is, in our opinion, perfectly placed for a trip to Edinburgh - close to the city centre but equally far enough away for there to be no interruptions from post-bar noise and so forth. Princes Street is about a fifteen-minute walk away at an average pace and from that point you have the whole city to explore at leisure; you could certainly make it all the way to Holyrood and Arthur's Seat in an hour or less.

To sum up, a wonderful hotel with equally good staff and definitely one which we will be visiting again.

2  Thank Teuwsen
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to post a lovely review of Dunstane Hotels.

I am happy to hear that you had such a nice time, especially when it was such a special occasion! Our reservations staff are very quick to help, and do try to arrange everything as quickly as possible. It is always easier if we are aware of any issues before you arrive, so that we can make the trip as enjoyable as possible. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the chef, and to all of the staff, who I am sure will be thrilled to hear this feedback.

I hope to see you again soon!

Jamie Trousdale

Write a ReviewReviews (1,431)

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Really beautifully furnished room, large and airy, great bathroom. Excellent location in the Haymarket area, good access to city centre or airport.

Friendly staff - nothing too much trouble. Fabulous Scottish breakfast stoked you up fro the day ahead.

Stayed at Hogmanay so the price felt unsurprisingly on the high side but would stay again.

Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Turtle5954
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I write this a bit underwhelmed by the hotel and how they handle requests and booking issues. I had originally booked the hotel in October at a premium compared to when I could actually visit which was December. Of course being an online booking its non refundable but the hotel did say we could change the booking....thats a great start. However it goes downhill. Its much cheaper in December yet they docked a night. So we stayed three nights in December for the price of 4 in October. Ok so upgrade maybe as we paid a fortune for a December booking....nope just an adequate pocky bed on the top floor. Its the little things that make hotels great and they fall short in that regard.
The hotel itself is nice, close to the city and also close to Murrayfield if you fancy a weekend at the rugby. Breakfast is great and the rooms warm and the beds comfortable,if a little small.
If I had not had the booking issue I would have no regrets about booking the hotel however being docked a night when they have the opportunity to sell the room previously at a higher rate with plenty of notice and Decembers rates being much lower leaves a bitter taste. I will know better next time and even though its nice it has done nothing to enhance its reputation.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor.

I am sorry to hear about the issues experienced with your booking. As our reservations team have discussed, we offer two different rates at Dunstane Hotels. Our standard rate typically offers a 48 hour cancellation policy and 0 deposit which is fairly generous by Edinburgh standards. We do have a second option that offers a 10% discount if you would like to prepay the rate and opt out of any cancellation and modification period. We do this because we understand that some guests are 100% committed to staying on a particular date - so we like to give some discount for confirming their reservation in advance. Both online and direct, you do have the option of both of these rates with the terms and conditions very prominent and we would never try to hide any of the booking policies. Typically, if you are unable to stay on the dates of your advanced purchase booking, the result would be a full forfeiture of your deposit and the reservation would be cancelled. As I understand, the reservations team were able to assist you and move part of the balance to a future date, which technically is outwith the terms and conditions of the booking. As I am sure you can appreciate, we do have to be fairly strict with this system, otherwise there would be no benefit to the advanced purchase offer. I would always encourage the staff to offer upgrades were available, however it is often the case that we are simply too full to give complimentary upgrades to every guest! Being such a small hotel, we naturally have a finite amount deluxe rooms.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and it's facilities once you did arrive. We do have an excellent location and all of our rooms are finished to a very high standard.

If you would like to discuss your booking experience in more depth, please do not hesitate to contact me at sales@dunstanehotels.co.uk.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Second visit to Dunstane House,this time took all the family with us(3 rooms).All rooms furnished to a very high standard.Breakfast very good as was the evening meal.Perfect location with Edinburgh having a fantastic transport network.In summary another excellent stay and we will be back soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank victoriarhb

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor!

I am thrilled to hear the you enjoyed your second visit as much as your first! Our chef has been working very hard over the past months to keep the menu as fresh and exciting as it was last year - so I will be sure to pass on your kind words.

I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night and I must say I did enjoy it. I stayed in the classic double and although it was a little smaller than I had anticipated, it was nonetheless a good stay. Everything was well presented, great bathroom and a comfortable bed. I took my car and the secure car park was an added bonus! It has a bus stop right outside it, which is very convenient for Princes Street! But if you fancy a stroll, it's only 20 minutes and the walk is nice; passing houses and convenient shops along the way.

All in all, a very nice stay and would definitely stay again. I would consider upgrading to a larger room though.

Thank you Dunstane.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stayed a night when Christmas shopping in Edinburgh. Has a car park and then is easy to get into centre by bus/taxi and only takes a few minutes. Nice and quiet, relaxed, friendly staff and a great breakfast.

1  Thank Dolores R
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on trip advisor and I was not disappointed. I knew the location of the hotel and it is perfect for guests arriving at Edinburgh Airport as the airport bus stops at the door.

Prior to my arrival I had been in communication via email with Jamie who was a member of the reservation staff. He was a real pleasure to deal with and managed my booking and preferences perfectly.

The hotel is decorated and maintained to an extremely high level and although small in size it is big in heart. Every member of staff greeted us with warmth and care. We spent very little time in the hotel but the breakfast the next day was nothing short of 5 star. The staff are a credit to themselves and the hotel. I simply will not stay anywhere also when I visit Edinburgh.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room to the rear of the hotel and did not hear a single noise