“Excellent Hotel”
Review of The Dunstane Hotel

The Dunstane Hotel
Ranked #9 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Recently returned from a weekend break at Dunstane House with my fiance. This was our first stay here and we stayed in one of the deluxe rooms and could not fault a thing. The room itself had an amazing four poster bed, shower and a bath was a bonus too. The room was really clean and on the whole was very spacious. A tad dearer than the normal priced rooms but well worth it.

The hotel itself is lovely. Very quiet, has a vintage look and feel to it which we thought was quite unique and the staff could not be more friendly. Breakfast was great, and the hotel also has free parking!

You can walk to princess street in around 20mins from the hotel which we didnt mind as we got to see some of edinburgh or there is a bus stop right outside.

Would highly recommend!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mr25987
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review of the hotels.

All of the rooms are completely unique, both in shape and in design. We have a good mixture between traditional fourposter style bedrooms, and contemporary bright coloured rooms. We really do cater for every type of group.
Our free parking service is very popular! With such a central location, it is very rare to even have space to park the car. I would always recommend leaving the car here to avoid all of the tram works on the roads of Edinburgh!

Thank you again for coming to Tripadvisor.

We hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Dunstane Hotel

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Selfishly, I want to keep this place all to myself- it is awesome! First, it is very easy to get to from the train station and walking distance to the Royal Mile and Princess St. In case you don't want to walk, there is a city bus stop right across the street. Hotel staff were friendly, the room was decent (European standards) sized. Pay the extra money for breakfast. The porrige was delicious, as was the array of hot and cold foods. I love that they served Fair Trade coffee and teas. My only complaint was the bed. The mattress was uncomfortably firm. After a few days, I didn't notice as much because i was too tired for all of our excursions. I will definitely stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Scarlett_stork

Hi there,

Thank you for posting such a lovely review!

Dunstane Hotels really are the hidden gem of Edinburgh. Both properties were completely renovated earlier this year, giving them a new lease of life! They have kept their original charm, whilst also becoming ultra modern and have become a chic place to stay when you are visiting the city.
Our location is close enough to the heart of the city that we still have the buzz, yet far enough away that you don't have the noise! We think it is a very good mix, and I am happy to see that you agree.
Our friendly staff are always on call! We have a selection of different types of mattress in different rooms, so we could have easily moved you.

I do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Dunstane House Hotel lived up to all the other reviews that I had read. We were given an upgrade to a bedroom with a four poster bed. The bar was fantastic with all it,s different malt whiskies.All of the staff were very helpfull , the breakfasts were varied and very tasty. All in all you can,t go wrong with a stay at this hotel.

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to post this lovely review!

We really do appreciate all feedback, as it gives us the opportunity to continually improve. Our bar and restaurant do have a strong Scottish theme, which is inspired from the family who own the properties. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to all of the staff, who I'm sure will be thrilled to hear how enjoyable your stay was.

I hope to welcome you back to Dunstane Hotels in the future!

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have business in Edinburgh and have found this hotel by far the best place to stay. A family-run hotel, the team are very friendly and hospitable with nothing being too much trouble for them. The rooms are well-appointed, whether single or double, and the substantial freshly-cooked breakfast sets one up for a busy day ahead. All of the produce used in the breakfasts as well as the superb dinners are "local" with particular focus on Orkney where the owners come from.

Transport to and from the airport or the City is good and with a car park attached to the hotel makes driving possible also. A walk to the City is only 15 minutes.

Well recommended to anyone visiting Edinburgh be it on business or to sight see such a wonderful City.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Hi there,

Thank you for posting such an outstanding review on Tripadvisor.

I am happy to hear that you are having such an enjoyable time staying with us here at the Dunstane Hotels!
We do source all of our products from local suppliers which does tend to be very popular with our guests. The owners do have a large involvement in the hotels and are continually modifying and updating both properties.

I look forward to seeing you in the coming months!

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed at Dunstane House for two weeks in November 2013 whilst in Edinburgh on business.
This is a gem of a hotel elegant and full of character. The staff are friendly, polite and courteous and always happy to help.
The standard of cleanliness is excellent and the room I was staying in was very comfortable. I ate my breakfast and evening meal in the hotel dining room each day and the food was always of a high standard and well presented. The hotel also has good free internet service which is an added bonus
There is a bus stop outside the hotel with regular service to the city center and frequent passing taxi's or if you prefer you can walk to the city center in about 30 minutes.
I would definately stay at the Dunstane House whenever I am in Edinburgh in the future and would definately recommend the hotel to friends, family and colleagues

Paul Mann

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review of the Dunstane Hotels.

I am thrilled to hear that you have had such an enjoyable experience at our boutique hotel in Edinburgh. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to both the front of house staff, and of course the housekeeping team. Our new menu in the Skerries Restaurant has proven to be a great success! I am glad that you were able to make use of this facility during your stay.
I really am happy to hear that we will see you in the future, and hope that you will be able to enjoy the touristy side of the city next time!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

First time staying at this hotel in Edinburgh and was impressed with the service and location. Rooms are probably on the small side, but well-furnished and comfortable; the centre of Edinburgh is probably around 20 mins walk away and the hotel is very close to Haymarket station and an airport bus stop. There was some minor noise detectable during the night from washing machines and the heating system which may disturb light sleepers.

Staff were very helpful throughout the stay and quickly arranged to change our room when the first wasn't up to scratch. Looking for some ice after the reception had closed (after 11pm) was informed that the ice machine was currently broken. However the night porter kindly offered to go to the sister hotel across the road and brought a bucket full of ice to the room!

Overall an enjoyable stay, and would definitely recommend for a weekend in the city.

Room Tip: Room we originally stayed in (214) was apparently "king-size" but in reality comprised of...
1  Thank Alistair O
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
I am happy to hear that you were impressed with the service and our central location. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to all of the staff.
I am sorry to hear that the first room that you checked in to was unsatisfactory. Many hotels do have these types of beds that link together to allow rooms to be made up as either a twin or a double. I am glad that the staff were able to resolve this issue in a timely manner for you on this occasion.
I am also happy to confirm that the ice machine is working again!

I hope to welcome you back to Dunstane soon.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Had an amazing time at the Dunstane Hotel. Our room was lovely, service was excellent and the breakfasts were tasty! Everything we wanted. I would note that its a doable walk into the city centre yet making use of the bus outside or a taxi is recommended. Was a lovely touch having a birthday card off the staff upon arrival. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Hi There,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review.
I am thrilled to hear that you have had such an enjoyable stay with us here at the Dunstane Hotels. The walk can be a little far for some people, but I am happy to see that you were able to make use of the fantastic transport links too.
I look forward to seeing you again in the future,