“Great Edinburgh Base”

Ranked #10 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Kamloops, BC
“Great Edinburgh Base”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Conveniently located and with small but nicely appointed rooms, this makes a great base for exploring Edinburgh. The breakfast and dinner were excellent although the service was slow - but very friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here along with other family for a surprise birthday party for my mother. The hotel staff bent over backwards in assisting us with the preparation. Communication throughout was excellent. We stayed in the blue room which was stunning and comfortable. My mother/sister stayed in one of the classic rooms which whilst smaller was still delightful according to them (being limited mobility I couldn't manage the stairs). Staff were superb and really friendly. Breakfast was excellent and a good range of choices. We had evening meals here as well and food was good, mainly seafood but also several meat dishes - but this is what was expected as per the website. Being a listed building which restricts what they are allowed to alter (thus the lack of a lift), and initially a private home I think they have done really well. Being on the ground floor we were close to reception, the restaurant and the bar. However it wasn't particularly noisy instead added to the cosiness of the place. Staff were uber helpful throughout. Would most definitely come again

Room Tip: Be aware this is over 4 floors without a lift. Also as a listed building room sizes will naturally v...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ailsamary
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hello Ailsa,

I am glad to hear that the rest of the weekend went to plan!
We do have a very small team which does allow us to communicate very well. I trust that the chef took good care of you in the restaurant too.
Both hotels are listed as they were built c.1852 which does pose some construction limitations, but also adds to the charm of the properties.

We hope to see you again in the not to distant future!

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at Dunstane House Hotel. We had a lovely room well equipped and beautifully decorated although quite small (we had 2 large suitcases so struggled a little) however this did not detract from a wonderful stay. We found the walk into Edinburgh, probably 15-20 mins great as we walked off some of the great breakfast that we enjoyed in the restaurant. We also caught the bus back once and this was quick and easy. Dinner in the restaurant was great and reasonably priced. We would love to return for another stay at Dunstane House and would highly recommend to others,

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Beth,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review of the hotel.
I am glad to hear that you had such a nice time with us. The rooms are all very well acquainted and individually designed both in decor and in layout. This adds to the unique charm but does also mean that every room is different.
The restaurant has undergone some major changes over the last few months. The new adaptions are proving to be a major success, and I am glad you enjoyed them too!
I do hope to see you again soon. For future bookings, please let me know so that I can ensure you have a room with more storage space too.

Boerne, Texas
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Run like a very classic, high quality boutique inn, with the following pros and cons:
1. Super clean. Nothing anywhere that made your mind wonder.
2. Very fresh. The paint, carpet, furniture, mattresses, etc felt very fresh.
3. Very friendly. Run and owned by a husband and wife team. The wife was out front with clients and always made you feel welcome.
4. Great restaurant. We weren't going to eat there during our two night stay but she enticed us to our first night and it was delicious. I had the lamb burger and wife had fish and chips. Both were great, but the edge goes to the fish and chips simply as the best we have eaten anywhere. Large enough that my wife offered me a couple of bites and I really wanted more! The morning breakfasts were perfect and filling...service excellent also. We ate dinner our second night on the royal mile and really were wishing we had eaten at the hotel again.

5. Location good. On a main rain, in safe and reasonably quiet area with bus stop close to hotel. We walked one night and rode bus in the next. Recommendation is to get the day pass for the bus and know you will get plenty of walking in around town. 5 min bus ride in and probably 20-30 min. Walk. Safe and nice, but take the bus.
6. Parking. Yes. Tight at times but free which is very important in this town. No dings or dents on car.
7. Super cozy. Ok we are a fairly young retired couple in mid 50s so we do try to watch our dollars, £s and €s closely so I tend to book lower cost rooms in what I think are above average hotels. We were in the smallest in this case since at the first of our trip, always thinking to end nicer towards the end of the trip. Smallest room, twin beds, shower only. Generally I would assume that I would want to run out of there given our nice home etc, but we truly enjoyed even this little cubbie of a room. Even the soaps used for the shower were superior quality. Beds were very comfortable.

Okay, so no place is perfect. So my only two wishes were they might find a way to provide help with luggage up to that third floor...and make it stop raining when taking luggage to and from cars. Thank you for a great start to our trip. When we return we will not look elsewhere to stay if these two still own this hotel. Great job guys!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Carl,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a super review of the Dunstane Hotels. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and have found all aspects to be of such a high level. I will ensure that all of your kind words are passed on to the team. Everyone at Dunstane takes a very personal interest in creating memorable experiences for our guests - so I'm sure they will be thrilled to hear your comments.
We do have a member of staff on duty that could have helped you with your bags. Next time, please don't hesitate to call us and we can help with any bags.

We hope to see you again soon - hopefully without any rain!

Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have travelled to Edinburgh for a short break on four occasions. I normally stay at Dunstane House Hotel and I stayed there last year for my honeymoon. So, for our first wedding anniversary I decided to give its sister hotel a go. Dunstane city did not disappoint. I had booked a classic room initially but when we arrived I asked if there was any chance to pay extra and upgrade to a larger room. The hotel staff were great and said that there was a larger room available. The room was fantastic with its high ceilings and beautiful décor. The room was exceptionally clean. The bathroom was beautifully decorated with quality fixtures and fittings. The complimentary Molton Brown toiletries were also an added bonus!

The breakfast was excellent with a good buffet selection and also an array of hot dishes on offer. All of them cooked to order using high quality ingredients. I cannot fault any of the food which we had during our three night stay.

Dunstane City is everything a Boutique hotel should be and the room rates do not break the bank. I really enjoyed my stay and I am sure I will return in the near future.

Room Tip: Room 203 is fantastic. Lots of room and the décor is lovely
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review of Dunstane Hotels!

I am thrilled to hear that you return year on year to the Hotels, especially for such special occasions. The Dunstane city is slightly more contemporary in style and in appearance, which does suit many people. It is difficult to believe - but both of the hotels were actually both built c.1852!
I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the staff on duty at your check in. I'm sure they will be extremely happy to have added to the enjoyment of your stay in Edinburgh.

We hope to see you again soon!

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We have stayed in Edinburgh numerous times before and normally book more centrally situated hotels. We decided on the Dunstane partly as a result of seeing the reviews on here and it was well worth it.

According to the staff at check-in we were in one of the newly refurbished rooms in the hotel. It was spacious and warm with very contemporary and elegant styling. The bed was huge and comfortable, the bathroom compact and spotlessly clean.

The staff were generally helpful and the service generally good.

We had both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. The choices on the a la carte menu looked good but there were some complicated and unusual combinations amongst them. The food we had was hot, well cooked and enjoyable to eat but some of the flavour combinations were possibly more fussy than they needed to be. Breakfast was well cooked but the hot and cold choices were a bit limited.

The hotel has car parking on site (another reason for choosing it) and is probably a little too far to walk into town (especially with the roads being dug up for the new tram system at present). It was worth the price we paid and is somewhere we would probably stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
DunstaneManager, Manager at The Dunstane Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hi Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for Dunstane Hotels.

I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable experience in the hotel. Our award winning housekeepers take great pride in their work, and I am sure that they will be glad to hear your kind comments.
Our menu has recently changed and has since had many positive reviews. The Head Chef has focused heavily on fresh fish and Scottish beef. The kitchen are always happy to adapt any recipe to meet your requirements too. The cooked breakfast menu does have a list of items that you can pick and choose from, and a large selection of all the continental items.
We are very fortunate to have a free car park considering we are so central. The city is under severe construction for the introduction of the trams next year. We would always recommend leaving the car at the hotel and hoping on the bus from the stop at the end of our driveway.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to your return in the new year.

Louisville
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I enjoyed a three day sightseeing trip to Edinburgh and this hotel was the icing on the cake. I stepped off a train from the lake district of England to a five minute walk to this hotel! I never needed public taxi's as it was a twenty minute walk to Princess street and area attractions. The best part was that after jam packed sightseeing all day I was relieved to return to a wonderful dinner at the hotel each night and off to a quiet night's rest. I was refreshed to go the next day after a lovely breakfast in the dining room. Since I was traveling alone, I didn't need the key provided fo me in case I wanted to return after the main doors were locked. The staff was very helpful even charging my iPad as I didn't have required equipment.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo