“Parliament House more than met my expectations!”

Parliament House Hotel
Ranked #74 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Considering some of the soft reviews I had read, I was a little anxious about coming to this great old hotel. What an ideal location, right next to Carton Hill and a lovely walk up the hill and easy access down the hill to Hollyrood Palace. From their we walked back up the Royal Mile and then turned back towards the hotel on South and North Bridge Street. Such an easy and entertaining walk for the day! We were so unepectedly upgraded to room 8, the huge suite with 2 twin beds side by side just as a king bed. Room included a large 10 seat dinning room table, chandalier, two large leather sofas, fireplace and five huge windows facing three different directions! Yes we had to climb up some stairs which prepared us for hilly Edinburgh anyway. It is exactly 50 steps, from the ground level lobby to the 2nd level room 8. It was a chore lugging up our two suitcases, but the room, the price, and the comfort were well worth it. I suppose the hotel was full and the fact that we booked for six nights was partly why they gave us the biggest suite in the hotel that we were aware of. The hotel is right next door to Waterloo street, where all the tour buses pick people up. We booked on two tours by Heart of Scotland tours and had only a 100 meter walk to the pick up point. The hotel breakfast room is adequate and busy and reasonable quality but lacks variety for a 6 day stay. Just around the corner on Waterloo Street are two great places for the morning coffees. Pep and Fodder has wonderful coffee, croissants, freshly made sandwiches, carrot cake...and other amazing things. Kevin was so gracious and welcoming to us there as well as the sweet blonde lady he worked with. Just down a few doors is an Italian place that has terrific breakfast...eggs, sausage, toast etc.

Room Tip: If you are staying more than a few days, see if you can get an upgrade to Room 8..fabulous room, ver...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,078)

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Location is great if you're arriving by train, 5 mins walk from Waverley railway station. Set in a very quiet neighbourhood, it's right on Calton Hill which is itself a must-see attraction in Edinburgh; you're only a few uphill steps away from great views over the city, the surrounding mountains and the Firth of Forth. Our room was quite comfortable and tastefully decorated (notwithstanding the scruffy looking Greyfriars Bobby souvenir they try to peddle). Breakfast was adequate and staff ranged from courteous to friendly. Would recommend to a friend and def stay again.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Great value for money in this boutique hotel. A great location for exploring the beautiful city of Edinburgh. Rooms were comfy and had evreything you would expect. Breakfast was delicious and service good. There is a restaurant in this hotel but we did not use it. The hotel environment was quiet! Would definietly return again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

At £210 a night without breakfast I expected things to be right....On arrival there was no milk to make a drink and the TV didnt work. The room itself was nice although on closer inspection the floor was covered in hair.
On return to the room the next day I had to return to reception for milk and the TV still not working. The manager did come and change the TV but I felt belittled and made to feel like an inconvienience.
I loved Edinburgh itself and my wife and I will definately be returning but it most definately will NOT be here. Even my complaints in writing were brushed aside.

Room Tip: Check online, I found the same hotel through a different provider cheaper than I got it through the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul_Nix0n
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just a few minutes from the station. All really good service. Just remember to approach via Calton Road so you don't have to climb the hill!!! Cannot fault for the price - more choice in restaurant would have been good but really nice food anyway.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is the 3rd time I've been to Edinburgh and each time I stay at the Parliament House hotel. Transport is easy since it's about a 5 minute walk to Waverley station, and a 10 minute walk to the airport bus which leaves every 10 minutes. The atmosphere in the hotel is very cosy and comfortable - I recommend winding down at the end of the day by sitting in the lobby and trying one of the many whiskeys on offer.
I think the breakfast is a little overpriced for what you get, and since it wasn't included in my room I ate elsewhere. However I had the pre-show dinner option one night and it was delicious and reasonably priced.
The beds are very comfy, the room is quiet and clean and I will be coming back to this hotel again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We had a very nice five night stay here. A ten minute walk from Waverly station on a very quiet street. There was a minibar available, which we did not use. There was a kettle with tea/coffee makings. There was a tub/shower in a nicely fitted bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. Free wifi in the room was included.

Downstairs was the M&P Bistro, which had a wide selection of meals at reasonable prices. 2 & 3 course specials were available. The food was good and staff was very attentive. We ate there two nights. Breakfast was for an additional charge and was very good with quick and friendly service. Ask for a discount, hot breakfast for the price of continental, when checking in.

We will be staying here again when we are in Edinburgh.