“Just OK but with very small and cramped rooms.”

Apex Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #71 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights. The location of this hotel is not very central as the hotel is about 20-25 minutes by walk to Princess Street. The rooms are very small and cramped. In my room the electric kettle did not work and so was the safe. The reception staff was very enthusiastic and helpful and did replace the kettle but unfortunately could not fix the safe. Also I could not understand the rationale for attaching the safe to the bottom of a side table, as one could easily remove the table along with the safe and its contents?
The breakfast was minimal but reasonable. Hotel lacks the professional look and feel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharu123
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel and providing me with valuable feedback following your recent stay.
I was very sorry to see that the kettle and safe in your room was not in good working order on your arrival, it’s pleasing to see that my Guest Services Team was able to assist so quickly. Please be assured that I have raised your concerns with my maintenance and housekeeping department who assure me that more thorough checks are now being carried out and the security of the safes are currently under review.
I do hope you had a safe trip back to New York and that you will consider Apex Hotels on you next trip to Edinburgh.
Vicky

Write a ReviewReviews (1,131)

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and booked last minute so was at first unsure about how the stay would be but was encouraged by friends who had stayed before. Our fears proved false as upon arrival the receptionist was enthusiastic and helpful while our room was clean, good value for money and had everything we required for the weekend. Staff were friendly and they had no problems answering our questions. The hotel is pretty central so we were able to walk to and from the city centre and we really enjoyed breakfast in the morning. I would definitely stay again

1  Thank Mandy123156

Dear Mandy,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Apex European Hotel following your weekend away.
It’s always a pleasure to see that you found the staff to be friendly and always on hand to assist with questions and directions.
I do hope we will see you again very soon.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Excellent hotel. I spent a wonderful night there. The receptionist, called Renata, at the front desk was very helpful and kind. I asked for a late check-out and she did everything as possible, just in order to gave me a great time there.
The located of the hotel isn't so good... It takes you 15 minutes walking from the hotel to the centre and all the best attractions in the city.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Neycamargo

Thank you for posting a review of the Apex European Hotel and providing valuable feedback.
It’s always pleasing to read such feedback about individuals within the hotel who have gone the extra mile to ensure your stay has exceeded your expectations.
I do hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you visit Edinburgh.
Warmest Regards

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights from 21st June 2013. On arrival at about 13.30 we went to reception & they welcomed us & gave us the key to room 301. This room was clean but was a bit cramped. We unpacked & went down for lunch. There were only 2 other persond having lunch. 3 members of staff. One member of staff was speaking to the other couple throughout the time we where in the restaurant. Eventually one person came over to take our orders. after about 15 minutes we saw a waitress carry our main course through the bar area but she just stopped & started talking to the waitress who had talked throughout the dinner service. they must have spoke for 5 minutes,when we got our lunch is was just warm. We had to tell them later that we where still waiting for our chips. It was also difficult to pay our bill,I attracted one of the staff to bring our bill & put the cash on the table but no one came to collect it. We wanted to go out into Edinburgh not sit in the Apex all day. I did attract the watress who was still talking
& said that I wanted to pay the bill only to be told "I will be over in a minute or two. With this we got up to leave she came over & I said after this slow service I was going to pay at reception.

Room Tip: Dine elsewhere Food good,let down with slow service & no attention to detail. Example breakfast...
2  Thank PeterLANCASHIRE

Dear Peter,
Thank you for your review of the hotel following your stay in June, I was very sorry to read that your dining experience did not live up to your expectations, this is certainly not the level of service I would expect from my team.
Please be assured that this matter has been discussed with my Restaurant Manager and re training is currently underway within the department.
I hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with us again in future.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

20 minutes walk from Princess St.The rooms are a little outdated but OK. Plenty of European staff who spoke good English and were helpful. Slight problem with the cleaning as items had been left and the shower mat was filthy. Manager was most apologetic.

Good central location and reasonable price for Edinburgh

Room Tip: Early Scottish menu up to 6 p.m great value
1  Thank Grabybaby

Dear Gaby,
Thank you for your review and providing me with valuable feedback following your stay.
I was disappointed to see that the cleanliness was not up to the high standards I would expect from my housekeeping team, please be assured that this has been raised as a concern and that the shower mats have since been replaced.
It’s pleasing to see that you found the staff to be helpful and hope that you will choose to stay with us the next time you are in Edinburgh.
Warm Regards

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed in the Apex European for a week whilst I was on business.
Overall it was an excellent stay. The reception staff were some of the best, attending to whatever I needed. From booking Restaraunts to finding parking.
The rooms were nice and clean, with everything you needed. Possibly on the small side but the bathrooms were gorgeous. Apart from a slight flushing issue with the toilet which apparently was an issue throughout the hotel.
It is in a great location for transport and restaraunts. The hotel food was nice but not note worthy. Definitely worth considering for the cost. However it is not a leisure hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Keira Jayne,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex European Hotel following your stay in June and providing valuable information for future guests.
I was very pleased to see that the reception staff were able to assist and meet all of your needs.
I hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you visit Edinburgh.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Picked hotel mainly due to on-site parking which when we arrived were surprised by the very few parking spaces actually available - we were lucky, with a bit of moving about, to get one of the few spaces. It was just a bit way out of the centre for us, don't mind getting bus during daytime but not after a night out. The hotel itself was really nice, clean modern room.

We only stayed the one night and were maybe unlucky in getting a poorly located room but it was at the end of the corridor on second floor, with a cupboard marked "staff only" on the door next to our room. When you are away on what is supposed to be a treat you don't really want the housekeeping staff in and out of the storeroom, several of whom were having full blown conversations immediately outside your room at 7.30am! Then, believe it or not a really loud knock on room door with a lady shouting "housekeeping" at 8.30am!

We paid £10.00 each for breakfast - there is a choice of continental of full. I only wanted bacon, sausage and egg and though I would't call myself greedy, I didn't expect only one small rasher of bacon and one small sausage!

Have to say all staff we came across were very pleasant!

Room Tip: not at the end of the corridor next to housekeeping storeroom!

Dear Cath,
Thank you for your review of the hotel following your stay and providing valuable feedback.
I was pleased to see that you found your room to be clean and modern, however, disappointed that you were disturbed so early in morning by my housekeeping department. Please be assured that this has been raised with my Head Housekeeper who has shared your feedback with her team and are now more aware of noise levels on the corridors.
With the hotel only having a small car park for residents I’m glad that we managed to make a space available for you during your stay and that all the staff you came across were very pleasant.
I hope to welcome you back very soon.