“Excellent Hotel and Staff”

Apex Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #72 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Vienna
“Excellent Hotel and Staff”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Four of us travelled from West Wales to watch Six Nations Rugby Scotland v Wales. After a long journey we arrived and were greeted very warmly by the receptionist who very quickly made us feel at home. We went to our rooms and were not disappointed, very clean and modern.Not wishing to trawl the streets looking for a place to eat I had pre booked an evening meal and I must say that was the best thing I did. The chef came and spoke to us explaining what was on the menu the food was outstanding everything being prepared was freshly cooked to order as was every meal including breakfast. The staff at this hotel are excellent and deserve credit as it is they who make this hotel very warm and friendly they go out of their way to help nothing is to much for them. Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Walking distance to town and Murrayfield with a bus stop outside.

Room Tip: Rooms were quiet no outside noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Apex European Hotel.
It’s always lovely to read such great feedback about the staff and was delighted to see that the chef was available to assist in your menu choices, going that extra mile to offer a personal service is something we very much pride ourselves on.
I hope you enjoyed the match and will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
Vicky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Greenock, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I had booked another hotel in Edinburgh for 2nights this weekend to watch the rugby. Arrived at our hotel, took one look at the room and checked out immediately. So, on a wet Friday evening, we went trawling the streets trying to save our weekend.

We arrived at the Apex cold and despondent and was met by Julie, the Manageress. As with all the other reviews, Julie was brilliant in negotiating with the reservations department to ensure that we got a room which had been previously booked that Julie felt was going to be a no show.

After that, the standard of service from all the staff was first class.

I would again like to take this opportunity to thank Julie ax gain for her help.

I will be staying at the Apex again when I visit Edinburgh

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Hugh,
Thank you for your review of the Apex European hotel following your stay at the weekend.
I was delighted to see that Julie had been of great assistance in ensuring you had a room secured at the hotel and that the level of service was mirrored throughout.
Being just a short walk from the Murrayfield stadium, it’s a handy location for those here to see the game and is always a good atmosphere on match days.
I hope that we will see you again very soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had a large group stay at this hotel this week. First, I must note that this is a great smaller hotel close to the main attractions of Edinburgh (and with a convenient bus stop right in front). The rooms are very modern, clean and attractive with all the expected amenities (and I really appreciated the full-size hair dryer!). The restaurant was excellent for breakfast each day, and many of our group had dinner there too, which they all raved about. All this would make this a very good value indeed.

But, what truly sets this hotel apart was the amazing level of service we received from the staff, in particular the Duty Manager Julie O'Donnel and the General Manager Vicky. Unfortunately during our trip we had a student who was injured and needed to go to a series of doctors appointments and the emergency room - this was complicated because our group is American and unfamiliar with the NHS. Julie and Vicky provided a level of attention and help that was outstanding! Julie set up appointments, many taxi rides, handled calls with NHS, and even administered first aid. Both Vicky and Julie checked in our our group and the student throughout the stay, helped with any request, and made it clear that they cared and we were not just an anonymous group staying there. I would not be surprised if these two women were running Apex Hotels one day! [I should also mention that their level of service was modeled by the rest of the staff, so they are obviously setting the right tone for the entire staff.]

So, all that said, this hotel gets my highest review - they exceeded every expectation - way to go!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank noahandallison
Dear Alison,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such kind words about the staff, management and amenities here at the Apex European Hotel following your stay.
It was a pleasure to meet you and your group and hope that your injured student is recovering well? It was such a shame to have missed out on sightseeing around Edinburgh, you’d picked a good week weather wise.
I wish you all the best and hope to see you again next time you visit Edinburgh.
Warm Regards
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Apex European Hotel. I found the staff really friendly and helpful. They had a delicious menu and I specially recommend the vegetable soup! The bus from the airport dropped me right near the hotel. Know I know where I will stay if I ever visit Edinburgh next time!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at the Apex European Hotel.
It’s always a pleasure to read such great feedback about the staff and delighted to see you enjoyed the vegetable soup, it’s one of my favourites too.
We will look forward to welcoming you back next time you’re in Edinburgh
Warmest Regards
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed here solo one night while visiting family in Edinbugh. Convenient short walk from Haymarket Station. On arrival, asked for room at back on upper floor (had read about street noise); no problem. Huge bed (king size, just as I'm used to in USA!), with nice linens; room was small, but well decorated in a moden style, including desk and armchair. Also, a small fridge with two complimentary bottles of water...wow, most hotels gouge you for water! It was warm and cosy - a plus in the Scottish winter! Well stocked bathroom, albeit small, with powerful shower. All of it charming and clean.

All staff I encountered were friendly, helpful and efficient. Very nice full breakfast included or continental if you wished. Free wi-fi access in room. Easy access to Princess St, walking or by bus. Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
It was a pleasure to read your review of the Apex European Hotel following your recent stay and that you found our location to be very convenient.
I was also delighted that you found all the staff to be helpful and efficient and that you enjoyed the selection of items we offer at breakfast.
I do hope you will choose to stay with us again next time you visit Edinburgh.
Warmest Regards
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Booked this hotel as a birthday treat for my partner who loves shopping in Edinburgh. 5-10 minute walk from Haymarket Train Station made this an ideal choice. Reception and restaurant staff very friendly and helpful and room was immaculate, both agreed we would be coming back. Definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Caroline,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your stay at the Apex European Hotel.
It’s lovely to see that you found our restaurant and reception staff to be very friendly and the rooms to be immaculate as this is something we pride ourselves on.
I will look forward to seeing you very soon.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here for an overnight as a treat for my birthday, great location, the staff were really pleasant and helpful. Room was very clean. Will definitely be going back and will recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed February 2013
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Claire,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Apex European Hotel, I hope you had enjoyable birthday treat.
I am pleased to read that you found the staff to be helpful and that you would recommend the hotel to friends and family.
I will look forward to welcoming you back very soon.