“Good, apart from a few flaws” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Apex Haymarket Hotel

Apex Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #73 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Good, apart from a few flaws”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel for two nights earlier this week and overall we had an ok experience. Having stayed at two of the other Apex hotels in Edinburgh previously though, I can see why this hotel is one star less than the others.

The room was slightly on the small side but ok to live in for two nights I guess. I wasn't however impressed when I had a shower and reached for a towel off the rack to find when it was unfolded it had a large grey/black dirty stain on it! This towel had definitely not been washed so therefore should not have been in my room. Also we ordered room service and to be honest the carrot and orange soup was pretty tasteless, good thing we got a £10 food voucher when we arrived as I wouldn't have been happy if I was paying for it.

The reception staff were very polite and helpful. I have to say it was pretty irritating however to arrive at the hotel at 2:00pm to check in, as stated on the website, to be told that our room wouldn't be ready for another hour and a half!! I asked if there was somewhere we could leave our two suitcase so they were put behind the desk and were still sat there when we came back.

In addition the room attendant cleaning the room next door to us on our second morning must have been in a foul mood as there was a hell of a lot of banging and crashing through the wall. No need to set my alarm as there was no way I was sleeping through that! A one point I actually considered getting up and asking her/him to keep the noise down but decided against it when I looked at my 'bed head' reflection in the mirror! Shame they forgot to put lightbulbs in the bedside lamp also!

I think it was a bit disappointing considering I have stayed in the Apex hotels a number of times I just expected a bit more.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
VickyRigby, General Manager at Apex Haymarket Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and providing me with feedback. As you mentioned, we are a 3 star hotel and pride ourselves on providing a 4 star service, I am very sorry that at the time of your stay, this was not the case. Please be assured that your feedback has been shared with both my Head Chef and Head Housekeeper who will ensure that improvements are made with in both departments as a priority.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss your stay further and I hope to welcome you back very soon.
Kind Regards
Vicky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Hampshire UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We know Edinburgh quite well so mainly chose this hotel for it's price (including the car park) and location. I also like the Apex chain and would definitely seek them out again. Take the little rubber duck with you when you leave, to photograph all over the world :o) We stayed two nights - Sunday & Monday B&B.
The car park is fine if you arrive in the afternoon and park so you can drive out not back out.
We were on the top floor - 4, we asked to change from the original allocated room as it was overlooking the road and liked the back of the hotel better. This room, although small, had an armchair as well as the desk chair which was nice. Lovely clean & comfortable room and over bath shower en-suite. The towels could do with replacing to be more white & fluffy. Free wi-fi with secure log in (always an advantage).
Very friendly and helpful staff, gave us a map and explained some of the walks we wanted to make.
Breakfast is really impressive with buffet and made to order hot food. We also ate in the evening with the current 25% discount deal, plus £10 voucher as we booked direct with Apex. Very good steak and chips.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I liked the chimney pot view from the back rooms on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I came to Edinburgh for a weekend away with my boyfriend in October. We arrived a bit before the 3pm check-in time, so our room wasn't ready yet, but the helpful receptionist allowed us to leave our lugguage behind the desk so we could go sight-seeing. The hotel is quite a long walk from the city centre (25 minutes from Waverly Station) so the receptionist told us which buses we could get to the centre from near the hotel. When we returned in the evening, we were told that we could have a discounted meal at the hotel restaurant, so we booked a table for 8pm. When we went for our meal, we were sat at a table in the corner of the room behind a wall, so it was really difficult to get the waiter's attention. My boyfriend ordered the salmon, which when it arrived was a bit rare on the inside. He asked for it to be popped back into the oven for another 5 minutes. We had to wait 25 minutes for it to be returned, at which point the waiter informed us that it was 'proper' to have salmon a little rare, which made my boyfriend feel awkward about asking for his food to be cooked to his preference. We also didn't get the discount we'd been told about because it was after 7pm.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel, but I advise you avoid the restaurant!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AL21London
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I am pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay and found our Guest Services team to be helpful and informative. I am however, very sorry to read about your experience in our Metro West End Restaurant, this is certainly not the level of service I expect from my team and your feedback has highlighted an area for re training which I can assure you has already been carried out.
I am glad this will not deter you from staying with us again in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind Regards
Vicky
Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've stayed here 10-15 times for work, the rooms are nice although a little small.
The restaurant is excellent and all the hotel staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, particularly Slawek on the night shift.

The big let downs in the hotel are the Car Park is tiny and always a problem getting parked, although the staff are always very helpful when this occurs
The other problem is the room doors shut very quickly so you often here doors slamming shut which can be annoying while trying to sleep.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Apex European hotel is good price, quality hotel fare in a great location in the Haymarket area of Edinburgh. Prime location between Murrayfield and Edinburgh City Centre this is a perfect location for a six nations or European rugby cup weekend!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came to Edinburgh early in October so I could take part in the Bupa 10k Edinburgh race. We arrived at the Apex European hotel where the male receptionist was very efficient and friendly, got us checked in no problem and very kindly booked us a taxi for later in the evening which was very helpful!

The room was small but very cosy, clean and all you need for a city break. At night it was very quiet, warm and the bed was very cosy! Had a great nights sleep!

All the staff are very friendly and accommodating, they were aware that I was taking part in the run on the morning of departure and allowed us to have a late check out which was great so I could have a much needed shower afterwards!!!

We received a £10 food and beverage voucher for booking online and the bar staff went out of their way to give us an excellent experience that you want to enjoy during little breaks away!

There is a train line just at the end of the road which takes you into the centre of the city in a matter of minutes for just a couple of pounds. We really enjoyed our stay and would defiantly stay again when we return to Edinburgh!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed there for a weeked. Unfortnately work was going on in the restaurant so a bit dusty at breakfast time. Lift was very small so never used it. Otherwise room was pleasant and faced rear car park so was quiet. Staff were all very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo