Best Western Plus Edinburgh City Centre Bruntsfield Hotel
Ranked #21 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Congleton, United Kingdom
“Great value”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

There are a number of reasons why I choose the Bruntsfield Hotel when staying in Edinburgh
• Easy parking
• Good food
For me, it is easy to get to by car and there is always parking available, the restaurant does great food and the service is exceptional, although if you fancy a walk prior to dinner there are some great choices locally, I can recommend a great Chinese just minutes away called Leeon.

Room Tip: I like the rooms facing the park at the front of the hoel, I sleep with the window open and have nev...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
garryfield, General Manager at Best Western Plus Edinburgh City Centre Bruntsfield Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Paul B Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the hotel.
I am pleased you enyoyed you stay and found the food and location good. I look forward to welcoming you back at a later date. Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN PLUS Bruntsfield Hotel.
Garry Field

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Rooms are spacious,clean and the beds are wonderful. It's older it does not have all the newer upgrades but what it lacks in those it makes up for in service and a wonderful restaurant. Everything is a short walk a there is a great park across the way.

Room Tip: As for the back to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
garryfield, General Manager at Best Western Plus Edinburgh City Centre Bruntsfield Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear puckstopper31Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay especially the service and the wonderful restuarant.
Hopefully the next time you stay we will endeavour to make your visit truly special.
Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN PLUS Bruntsfield Hotel.
scotland
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This hotel goes out of its way to go the extra mile. Our superior room was very spacious, very large comfy bed, big bathroom, views over the park. The traffic can be noisy with the windows open, and closed- we found the room hot at times, but we are good sleepers so were ok. If we stayed in the Summer we would request a room facing North to get less sun/heat. The staff were charming and attentive. Good to have the hot breakfast freshly cooked individually.(Couldn't eat black pudding though, the middle was raw) Dinner on all 3 nights was excellent and good value. Food and drink prices very reasonable.Service was mainly excellent except one male waiter on our last night who was less than gracious when he brought me a large wine instead of the small I had ordered and said if my husband didn't want ice in his Herefordshire cider he should have said when ordering. He insisted ice was included with everything unless specified. He did change both wine and cider, but with reluctance. He let down the otherwise brilliant staff. We liked the location; 20 mins pleasant walk through parks to the Royal Mile. General atmosphere felt professional, but homely.We would definitely stay again

Room Tip: Rooms at front can be hot and there can be traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear satellina.Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased you had a pleasant stay and found the room and bed especially comfortable. Thank you for commenting on the excellent dinners which were good value for money. Please accept my apologies for the mixup with your drinks on the last night, some retraining is needed.
Once again thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN PLUS Bruntsfield Hotel.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Brilliant Hotel. Very comfortable. Great food. Friendly staff.
Ideally situated for centre of Edinburgh. Buses every 5 minutes outside hotel.
Will definitely stay again. Lives up to its name of BEST Western.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the park outside.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
garryfield, General Manager at Best Western Plus Edinburgh City Centre Bruntsfield Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Peter W Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the hotel.
I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Edinburgh.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2014

One of the worst things about reviewing anything, be it a book, a film, a restaurant or a hotel (perhaps that should be ‘an hotel’) is that there is a tendency to feel that you can’t simply say something was good. Unfortunately, there is always that urge to add something negative, possibly for the sake of authenticity or, perhaps, simply to show that you’re hard and won’t take any nonsense, you’re not easily bought.

Well, yes, it’s true; that’s how I felt about the Bruntsfield Hotel before I’d even visited the place – although, if the truth be known, I knew it would be good before I even checked in for the simple reason that I have stayed here before, back, it has to be said, in the angst-ridden early 90s. And that’s why I’m here again because whenever I think of Edinburgh, I think of the Bruntsfield Hotel and walking along Princes Street towards Glenogle Street and Henderson’s and Bert’s Bar. I don’t even know if those establishments are still there, but I don’t think I could stay anywhere else in this great city than the Bruntsfield.

The reason I was going to add something negative was down to an email I received from the hotel once I’d booked a room on-line. They sent me an email saying that, for an extra £20 I could get a larger room with some fruit in it or for £25 a bottle of wine and some hand-made canapés. Well, nice try, but when I think about how many oranges I could buy with £20 or how, for £25, I could get two decent bottles of red wine and have change for a copy of the Economist, I simply ignored what amounted to an opportunist marketing ploy. How was I to know that the larger room I was being offered was any bigger than the room I would have got without paying extra? Not that I should have adopted that attitude; they were, after all, just doing their job.

So, I travelled by train from King’s Cross, took a cab to the Bruntsfield and, as expected, this is still the most wonderful hotel in Edinburgh: the staff are friendly – so much so that I looked forward to passing the time of day with whoever was on the reception desk. The room (I was in room 37) was excellent and the food in the Bisque restaurant was absolutely fantastic. After a day in a conference on the other side of town I was looking forward to dinner, a glass or two of wine, some dessert and, of course, a good book (go and buy Lean on Pete by Willy Vlautin, it’s fantastic).

I’ve been here for two nights. For dinner last night I enjoyed chicken breast stuffed with haggis, mashed potato and carrots; tonight it was venison and pheasant stew with mash and brocolli and I really wish I had another night here or maybe a week. It’s such a homely, comfortable hotel where everything works, nothing niggles and, well, what can I say? I couldn’t recommend this hotel more highly. When a hotel has that ‘home from home’ feeling about it, you know you’re on to a winner.

Breakfast was good too: plenty of choice and just nice and pleasant and perfect to wake up to.

One bugbear: the WiFi. It’s very slow. That needs to be addressed. Everything else is absolutely first class. Well done, Bruntsfield people. Keep up the good work. As Arne once said, “I’ll be back.”

Room Tip: Take what you get, it's all good. Not in the heart of the city so cabs recommended for those who...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank MatthewMoggridge
garryfield, General Manager at Best Western Plus Edinburgh City Centre Bruntsfield Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear MatthewMoggridge
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review regarding your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for commenting on the staff and the restaurant. We look forward to your next visit.
england
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed at this hotel over the Easter holiday for 3 nights. I chose The Bruntsfield after reading the reviews on TA and was not disappointed.
We booked direct with the hotel and stayed for bed and breakfast. The breakfast was cooked to order and was very good,ranging from full Scottish to scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. Very good standard and there were breads,pastries, ham,cheese,cereals etc.
From booking direct we were given a voucher for £5 each off dinner in the Bistro,which we used on one evening and couldnt fault. The hotel has a nice bar, which we used every evening for a nightcap.
There was parking available at the hotel which was free, but there are limited spaces, so once we had parked the car, we left it and used the excellent bus facilities that are right outside the hotel.
The staff were excellent and very helpful and friendly.
The hotel is a great location, about a fifteen minute walk to the castle and Princes Street or use the bus.
There are other bars and restaurants nearby and we visited some of these whilst we were in the area.
My only disappointment was that the room was a bit dark, as the window was a rooflight, although the room itself and the bathroom were both very spacious. We would have been given an upgrade but for the fact that the hotel was full.
All in all, it was a great hotel and we really enjoyed our stay and yes, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room waas on the second floor and although very quiet was a little bit dark owing to the rooflig...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear loooves2travel
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased you had an enjoyable and have noted your comments about the merits of booking direct with the hotel. We look forward to see you again.