Tripadvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
3,634 results
All reviews dynamic earth royal mile scottish parliament spa break valet parking arthur's seat lovely hotel sauna and steam room spa facilities good size cooked breakfast per night breakfast service booked this hotel quiet location old town enjoyable stay
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Booked a spa weekend to relax but ended to be more stressed than when we got there !
Been charged 197£ for something that wasn’t worth even 90!the place should have included a whole functional spa but half of it is out of service ( and we called couple days before our stay and been told that everything was working ).
Been told that breakfast was till 11 from more than a staff member when it was till 10 , staff was absolutely rude about it and funny side we were not the only guests misinformed ...there were two couples more !
It would have took them 5 min to cook some breakfast but instead they kept arguing it !
A reception guy told us “ what do You want ? It is normal it finishes at 10...nothing we can do “ , no apologies and a stinky attitude and bad look at us .
They wanted to charge us 25£ a night for “private parking “ I asked at arrival if it was a closed parking and safe and they say yes there s a gate as it is provate ...
Same evening we go up our room and we see our car parked on the back street of the hotel !
That is the private parking ! The back street of the hotel ! No gate no security no protected at all !
Cherry on the cake is the first morning we miss room cleaning as we overslept and decided to tidy up by ourselves, we kindly asked some room refresh spray just to fresh up the room ...not even 5 minutes after we get a letter saying they have notice a smell of smoke in our room and they might charge us 100£ .
As both me and my boyfriend are no smokers I invited the manager in our room showing there was no way we smoked as we don’t in general ...
His answer was “ I don’t smell it at the moment “ ...not even apologising that we have been accused of something that never happened !
The cleaning of the place is a joke too ...
Spoiled carpet , cigarettes marks on the mirror, mold on the light of the steaming room , swimming pool air filter filthy and dusty,
Doors with holes...
Before leaving and after the not served breakfast I pointed all those issues to the deputy manager and the only thing we were discounted was the parking because as we booked through booking he was not able to give us a refund !
I therefor called booking customer service and they refused further refund once again !
We have both been in thousand hotels in UK and around the world and this win for worst costumer service plus highly overpriced for what you actually really offer !
Hope this will get to a general manager , it s unbelievable what a awful experience we had to go through!

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Fiona M, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear J2683PVmonicad,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay.

This is disappointing to receive and my sincere apologies that this was the experience you had. I would love to discuss this further with you if you would like to contact me on: gm.holyrood@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My husband & I have an overnighter in the Capital every December after Xmas & this time I couldn’t get a room at my usual favourite hotel so we booked into the Holyrood. I have never ever ever ever received such a warm welcome from front desk like I did when I walked in! I instantly felt so taken care of and just knew I was going to have a great stay. The girl at front desk (petite, pretty, brown hair) was exemplary in her welcome and check in was the best experience I’ve honestly ever had. A smile & an interested nature goes a long way for people checking in! Our room was beautiful, spacious, luxurious and a nice big flat screen tv, which was ideal considering after a full day of fun my husband was sleeping for 7pm! So I ordered lots of food, opened the champers and had a slumber party in style! The only thing in my opinion that let the hotel down was breakfast. The breakfast staff didn’t really seem to know what they were doing and seemed run off their feet. Our order was taken wrong twice & still wasn’t correct when it arrived. I asked if they were short staffed but was told no. Despite that it really is an Incredible hotel and and we will definitely be back. Thank you again!

Date of stay: December 2019

Dear BettyChilds,

Thank you for your 5* review.

I'm delighted to receive your comments regarding your stay and to hear that you had a fantastic time with us. I will share your thoughts regarding breakfast with the team to ensure this is reviewed and improved upon.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Probably one of the nicest Edinburgh hotels we’ve stayed in. Our upgraded room was gorgeous, bed and pillows super cozy and comfortable. Quality toiletries, etc. We had a lovely evening meal in the restaurant plus breakfast the next morning which we couldn’t fault. The bar was very well stocked. Our waiter in the restaurant (Note to Management - can’t remember his name; Scottish, slim with the shaved head and beard) was excellent - a real asset to the hotel! In fact all the staff throughout the hotel were very nice and helpful. Enjoyed the spa albeit the water was on the cool side, no jacuzzi and the sauna was out of order, however it was clean and enjoyable. Would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay again.

Dear MScot-lass,

Thank you for your review.

The team and i are delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from the room to the restaurant and spa. Repairs are underway on our sauna so on your next visit you will be able to enjoy that too.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 14, 2020 via mobile

We had a lovely stay here, rooms are spacious and the beds are very comfy. All the staff were so friendly. Especially, the bar man Jim and the concierge Donald, they were always happy and extremely welcoming.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Fiona M, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear E3213OAhollyb,

Thank you for your 5* review.

The team and I are delighted to receive this feedback and great to hear you enjoyed your time with us.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed January 12, 2020

Just come back from an overnight stay for my husbands birthday . A lovely clean hotel with spacious modern rooms. The food in the surf and turf restaurant was amazing ( we both had ribeyes ) cooked to perfection . But most importantly the staff were fantastic! Each and everyone of them were attentive and always had a smile on their faces . Nothing was a problem . Pat on the backs for them , Always happy to go that extra mile , not something you see very often in hotels these days .

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Fiona M, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2020

Dear Maccc11,

Thank you for your 5* review.

The team and I are delighted to hear you and your husband had an enjoyable stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.