“Great Hotel”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #53 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Spent a night on a girlie break, first room was poor, not very clean, found out this was one of the last few to be upgraded, were then moved to a new refurbished room thanks to Frank the concierge, room was fab! Can't thank Frank enough, nothing was a problem to him and he was very helpful to us when we needed information etc. thank you Frank your a true gentleman. Shelley & Pauline from Dumfries

Stayed: March 2014
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Ladyshelleycat,

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of your recent stay here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

It was lovely to hear that Frank looked after you so well during your visit to us, he is certainly a charming character. I am sorry that the first room you were allocated was not to our usually high standards. I will certainly address your feedback with the team. As you have touched upon we are currently upgrading 4 floors of bedrooms which will continue until May.

We do hope to welcome you back very soon and thank you once again for your kind review.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

The hotel is fantastic, very helpful everyone....the room was not so good as another room tested two years ago. But are little mistakes...a real 4 stars hotel, I'll come back again in my next trip in Edinburgh

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear MauroDiTorino,

Many thanks for you kind review of the hotel.

I am glad you had a great stay and that the team looked after whilst you were with us.

With the company’s on-going commitment to enhance our guests experience we are currently benefitting from a phased bedroom refurbishment. As you can see the bar, lounge and restaurant is already been done. We do hope that you will return very soon to experience this for yourself.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed here on a business trip four times, and every time my room was dirty , there were food remnants on the carpet which had not been hoovered. The bedding was dirty and had to be changed on three occasions ! The water in the shower scalding hot and cold . The Window was very dangerous and broken . Rooms are very tired and in need of updating . I would not stay here out of choice . Staff were friendly and helpful when asked to change bedding .

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Beachhut24

Dear Beachhut24,

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of the Macdonald Holyrood hotel. We very much appreciate your detailed and constructive feedback.

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations throughout your visits with us, I am most disappointed that you have not experienced the Holyrood at its usually high standards we are best known for.

I will certainly share and address your feedback with the senior team here. I would be happy to discuss your feedback in finer details, please feel free to contact me directly here when such a time is best suited to you.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel while spending a weekend in Edinburgh. The location of the hotel is very good in close proximity to Hollyrood palace and the Royal Mile. It is easy to get there from the airport as a number 35 bus will drop you a few hundred metres from the hotel. The bus journey from the airport take about 50 minutes. The staff at the reception, restaurant and bar were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast choices were very good. The hotel is in a quiet area of Edinburgh. Our room had very good facilities and was nicely decorated. The rooms were reasonably priced as Edinburgh can be an expensive city. All in all a very pleasant stay in the hotel in a very pleasant city. When staying in Edinburgh we would choose to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear JbeanCork_Ireland,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. I was really pleased to learn of your enjoyment and especially that you felt so well looked after by the team!

We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We spent a three night break at this hotel. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were looked after to the highest standard. Our room (600) a suite on a private floor was excellent, roomy, comfortable and immaculatley clean. The staffwe very helpful and engageing throughout our stay, nothing being too much trouble. One tiny niggle, the cheese board offered at the end of the evening meal at the restraunt was very poor. There is no doubt this is a fantastic hotel and I would definatley use it again when in Edingbrugh.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear 101viper111,

Thank you for submitting your review of your experience following your stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel for your 3 night break.

I enjoyed reading your review and appreciate the helpful details you provided. It is lovely to receive feedback of this nature and the team are always encouraged by it.

I will investigate your feedback with our the Head Chef regarding the cheese board. We are glad that this will not afford us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

If I can be of any assistance then please feel free to contact me directly here at the hotel.

Warmest regards

Reviewed March 7, 2014

As I say regularly on my reviews I staff in hotels all the time. I am not easily impressed as I am often underwhelmed by hotel chains that over promise and under deliver.

Positives

Location - really close to the royal mile
Staff - generally better than most MacDonald staff especially the lady that helped us print our boarding passes on reception - so helpful we have her a bottle of wine
Room service was great - efficient and reasonably priced £3 tray charge
Free wifi
Breakfast in room was plentiful and hot!

Could do better

Room decor was getting on a little
Shower turns scalding hot randomly

Unacceptable

Nothing at all

Dear FortyEngland,

Thank you for your review of the Macdonald Holyrood following your recent stay.

I was delighted to note that you found your stay to your expectations, however I am sorry that you found the shower not to be in working order. This issue has been fully resolved with the maintenance team. Our hotel is currently undergoing extensive refurbishment works in order to enhance our guest experience to which I do hope you return to see for yourself.

With you being a regularly traveller I do hope that you will choose to return to us in the very near future, please do feel free to contact me here at the hotel if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We spent the most wonderful few days here, we were met as we arrived & helped with our luggage, this made us feel relaxed even before we registered. The staff where friendly, very helpful & professional. In all we only have the highest praise for all who where involved in our happy stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Catherine R,

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay with us here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

We take pride in delivering great service through a passionate approach to hospitality, which as you touched upon can be seen through the staff that looked after you during your stay.

I am so pleased that you have a wonderful time and glad we have had a lasting impression on you for all the right reasons.

Please do come back and visit us very soon.

Kindest regards