“Not bad, but nothing to stand out.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #63 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cardiff
“Not bad, but nothing to stand out.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I had to stay in this hotel whilst I was in Edinburgh for work. It was during the Fringe and was the only thing available.
Don't get me wrong, the hotel is your standard 4 star classically decorated affair. Rooms are decent size, bed was fine and there was a flat screen with freeview (although it was hit and miss as to whether the channels would work!)
What got me was that they charge £10 a day for wifi in the room! I can understand the charge for cheap hotels, but this place charges over £100 a night normally.
In this day and age, free and fast wifi should be mandatory in any non budget hotel; my choice depends on the this.
I go to Edinburgh quite often for work, but I'll be sticking to the Apex where I can view my SkyGo without charges.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear chopper1400,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review your stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. We very much appreciate your feedback.

I am sorry that you had to pay the WI FI charge of £10 for 24 hours. We currently offer complimentary Wi Fi in the lobby and conference areas, our bedrooms will have this installed in September.

It’s disappointing that you felt nothing stood out for you whilst residing with us. Our rooms are spacious and well maintained, however we are about to undergo a phased refurbishment of our bedrooms and lobby are in the coming months. This will give the hotel a fresh new look and feel to which we are all very excited about.

I do hope that you reconsider and return to us on future business trips to Edinburgh. If I can be of any assistance with reservations please do contact myself directly.

Pamela McAllister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Was in this hotel only for one night (Aug 8th, 2013) during the Edinburgh Festival. Good location, a good 20-25 min walk to the Castle, but away from the crowds, so very quiet location. I had a room at the back of the hotel and found quite disturbing the noise of wheeled containers being emptied into skips. Room was very hot, but found a table fan on the desk. Air conditioning running but inefficient. Comfortable bed, nice bathroom with heated towel rack, tea/coffee/kettle available. Nice warm atmosphere.
Hotel staff extremely polite and willing to assist at all times.
Looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear 270766,
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback from your recent stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. We very much appreciate your review.

I am pleased to know that you found the location ideal and that the team looked after you.

I am sorry that you found the room to be exceptionally warm, we are currently upgrading our air conditioning system which has been underperforming in this unusually warm weather. We have been supplying all our bedrooms with fans to assist with added cooling. I do hope this did not cause you too much discomfort.

Thank you once again for your feedback we appreciate this in order to maintain our high standards and service. I hope you come back and visit us soon !

Best wishes
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

My sister and I stayed here on 2 Aug -5 Aug, 2013. Friendly and very helpful staff. Clean large rooms, bright and cheerful. Beds are nice, clean sheets, breakfast is a good deal and lots to select from.
Staff helped us select a great eating place on the Royal Mile, Was the end to a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a viiew
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Russell C,

Thank you for sharing such a lovely review of the Macdonald Holyrood hotel from your recent visit. The team will be so glad to know that you enjoyed your trip especially the service from them all and location.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the next year!

Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Comfortable, clean and very convenient for parliament and Holyrood but a bit too far from everywhere else - you have slightly too much of an uphill climb to get to Old Town, Castle, New Town, rail station, etc. Hotel itself in need to some TLC (I believe a refurbishment is planned) to bring up to full 4* expectations. Good breakfast and service mostly OK although sometimes seemed as if too many trainees!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim Y
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Jim Y,

Thank you for reviewing your stay of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

We are about to undergo a phased refurbishment of the hotel in the coming months to give the hotel a fresh new look and feel. Our conference facilities are at present under redevelopment.

We do take our customer feedback very seriously as it is vital in helping us maintain our high level of standards, service and food quality.

I do hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back!

Warmest regards
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I had my wedding at this hotel in 2012 and I can't fault anything about this hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and willing to assist with every detail. At the time I lived almost 50miles from the hotel therefore having helpful staff was really great for me.
The food was fantastic and all my guests enjoyed their meals. The day ran very smoothly and with no hiccups. The rooms are also beautiful and spacious. I would recommend this hotel to travellers and also for a wedding.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear LadyLV,

It was lovely to receive such a glowing review. I am so glad you had a memorable day here for your wedding last year, thank you so much for taking the time to write to us about it.

Please be assured that I have passed your comments to them, as I know they will be encouraged by it.

We appreciate such a helpful and detailed review, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for a wee anniversary treat!

Best wishes
Spennymoor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

When stopping here i found this hotel to be brilliant, the staff couldn't do enough to make our stay amazing, It was my girlfriends birthday so i pre-ordered a bouquet of flowers, box of chocolates and two glasses of champagne on arrival. We did arrive a bit early and the room wast fully ready which is understandable so we went for a walk around the city instead of waiting in the reception. On arriving back at the hotel the room was ready and they concierge knew that I had the things on order and literally ran out of reception and got 2 fresh glasses and the ice cold bubbly to our room before we made it up the lift.

Also when asking for advice on restaurant or places to go they couldn't help us enough with advise on the best restaurants in the city center.

Not only a beautiful Hotel with everything you need but great staff that you get the feeling love working there.

I will be going back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear andy_rob2639,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit your review following your stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. I do hope your girlfriend enjoyed her birthday.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay, particularly the helpfulness of the staff. We do strive so hard to ensure our guests have a memorable stay.

We appreciate such a helpful review, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for your birthday treat!

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Booked this hotel through Late Rooms about six months in advance, I have used Macdonald hotels before in Manchester and the Lake District, so had no hesitation in using the Edinburgh Macdonald hotel. Hotel was good, and convenient for the Royal Mile and the city. Weekend was very hot, therefore the room was very hot, but not complaining as we do not get enough hot weather in this country. Room was comfortable and very clean. We did not eat in the hotel as we had restaurants in the city booked, so cannot comment on the food. The hotel looked after the safe parking of the car, and returning it when we left. I will certainly use this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear allenandchristine,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. Its encouraging to hear that you like staying with our chain across the UK. I recommend that you join our Macdonald Loyalty club to ensure you are rewarded for your custom. I was really pleased to learn of your enjoyment and especially that you felt the location was convenient for you as we are right in the heart of the old town.

We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back!