“A thoroughly enjoyable stay!”

Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Ranked #53 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Scotland
“A thoroughly enjoyable stay!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My mother and I recently stayed at this hotel on a Bed & Breakfast basis for her birthday. We had a lovely room (room 600) which had a small balcony with terrific views of Arthurs Seat, was very spacious, beds comfortable and bathroom well equipped. The room was hot, however the hotel had provided us with a fan which we found very useful! The room also came with bathrobes and slippers, a chilled bottle of water, tea/coffee making facilities, mini fridge, flatscreen TV, comfy chairs...everything you could want or need!

We decided to have dinner in the hotel also which exceeded our expectations. The service was perfect and the food was delicious and very reasonable deal of 3 courses for £25 (the cheesecake was WOW...and the wine added extra enjoyment to the evening haha)

What makes this hotel extra special is their passion for customer service. From the managers, to the front desk to the dinning staff, every one was polite, helpful and professional with nothing being a problem...we felt very well looked after (exactly what we wanted for a special treat).

The breakfast again was very good, with a great choice of continental foods such as granola, fruit, cheese, delicious pastries etc! We also had the full traditional Scottish cooked breakfast which we would highly recommend, it was fresh and excellent value for money!

Overall we would not think twice about recommending this hotel, it ticked all of our boxes (and as people who travel ALOT, this is quite rare!)...we are already looking at booking our next visit!

A big thank you to all the staff and management for making our stay pleasurable. We look forward to seeing you again.

Room Tip: Room 600 had amazing views of Arthurs Seat!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Gareth113,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a glowing review of the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel. I do you hope you had a lovely birthday whilst in Edinburgh.

I was really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay, location, food and that the team looked after you both so well. They will be most pleased when I share your feedback with them.

We appreciate the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back!

Best wishes
Pamela McAllister

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We arrived at this hotel with great expectations as it was £177.00 per night. We arrived on a very hot day in July. The air conditioning in the hotel was not working so on the 5th floor it was unbearable. We were told we could have a fan but had to ring down and chase this up. When it arrived the person who brought it said he thought our room was very hot and would we like another fan, we said yes but it never arrived. We went for a swim to cool down but the pool area was very dark and dingy. Out of six lights over the pool only two were working. The restaurant for breakfast in the morning was also really dark so unless you managed to get one of the four tables near a window it was not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Jane o,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your concerns regarding your recent stay. I apologise profusely that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. Our primary aim here at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel is to achieve and exceed our guest’s expectations and that our guests have a wonderful stay.

I am sorry that you found the room to be uncomfortably warm, as you are aware we are experiencing abnormally high temperatures across the UK. The air handling units we have within the hotels bedrooms are working to full capacity, however, we are providing fans to all our guests to try to assist with cooling of the rooms. Its most unfortunate that you we failed to deliver a fan to you room when offered one.

We do hope you choose to return to us very soon and I ask that you contact myself directly to arrange a booking for you.

Thank you once again.

Kind Regards
Bucks, uk
Reviewed July 14, 2013

What a dump this place is. I am sat in my dark, dingy room with flowery mumsy curtains and dark cheap looking furniture, on a warm day where the aircon blows out only hot air and where the window needs to be kept open with the curtain tie back as otherwise it shuts by itself. The bed gave me a bad nights sleep, due to its cheap quality with protruding springs into my body. This coupled with the lumpy pillow and cheap duvet, added to the totally no luxury feel.
Five years ago I stayed with this group and had a negative experience back then, also in Edinburgh and on this occasion, it was not reassuring to see standards of this group, for me, remain the same. I just don't know how they get away with such poor standards. Nobody from their design team has given this place any thought - power sockets which don't take a standard british plug, but round pins?? And only 2 standard uk type right the other end of the room. The bedroom door has no lock and constantly you hear the cleaning team slamming bedroom doors.
The location is not bad, once you avoid the big estate right opposite, as Holyrood is a pleasant neighbourhood.
The gym was not bad, albeit hot with no aircon.
Probably the best thing about this place for me was the location and in the actual hotel, the shower gel. I did not like anything else whatsoever and feel you could do so much better within this lovely city....my tip to all readers. Shop around for another place!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear ddd1970,

I would like to thank you for taking the time review the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel whilst you were actually staying with us. I can assure you that our rooms were designed to a very high spec and that across the group we do not compromise on standards and quality. It is most disappointing that I did not have the opportunely to meet with you during your stay so that we could discuss your concerns. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I will certainly take your feedback on board regarding the layout and facilities of the room as we are about to undergo a phased refurbishment of 3 floors of bedrooms and our ground floor areas.

We do take our customer feedback very seriously as it is vital in helping us maintain our high level of standards and service. Thank you once again.

Dundee
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Booked to stay here while in Edinburgh on Honeymoon before flying somewhere sunny to escape the Scottish winter. I emailed before my arrival asking if there was any deal/special room available for honeymoon couples, didn't get a response at all. Not the end of the world, just a little rude.

The location was convenient although the view from most rooms is uninspiring despite being at the foot of royal mile and holyrood park. The room was dated and dark due to the only window facing onto a back alley, again, not such a big problem.

Unfortunately we left a kindle and a laptop in a drawer in our room (hidden away... which is why we forget them... doh!) As we were travelling to catch a flight we couldn't go back for them but rang the hotel about 2 hours after leaving. We were told that the room cleaner had handed in the laptop but no kindle had been found.

There are 3 possibilities, someone came into the room and took the kindle during our stay, the kindle was taken by the cleaner cleaning after us or the kindle was taken by another guest while the hotel staff left the door open whilst cleaning (apparently something that has happened before). In all 3 of these scenarios the hotel, and their security controls, are to blame. ANY ONE OF THESE 3 COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!!!! BE CAREFUL.

In dealing with this when we got back from honeymoon the hotel have been terrible and offered no compensation whatsoever.

Regardless of receiving compensation or not, it is the lack of attention or sympathy that the hotel has given me that has caused the low rating. You could well expect the same.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear LC60Dundee,

Thank you for your comments from your stay at the beginning of January, as discussed at the time all your comments and feedback were taken to the Regional Manager for investigation and you were advised to contact the local Police. Appropriate action was taken by myself and the Head Housekeeper regarding your lost property.

I am once again sorry that you are still left feeling disappointed and let down by this, however we did everything we could and acted in accordance with the Hotel Proprietors Act 1956.

Should you still wish to discuss this further then please contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind Regards
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Great location for Holyrood Palace, Dynamic Earth, Arthurs Seat and the Royal Mile. The hotel was very busy during our stay and we had an issue when trying to arrange late check out and also had to wait before being seated for breakfast. We stayed on the 6th floor - our room was starting to look dated and tired although clean. The concierge parking was great costing £20 per night and they even took the cases out of our room to the car when checking out. We didnt use or see the spa. Overall a pleasant stay in the area we needed to be based but nothing special.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear TeamW00d,

Thank you for submitting a review of the Holyrood Hotel. The team will be pleased you had an overall pleasant stay.

We hope to welcome you back and see our lovely refurbished hotel on a future visit to Edinburgh.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were recommended this hotel by a friend who had stayed there many times on business (albeit years ago). I found this hotel to be very tired and not in the same category as others we could get for the same price. The front desk staff were not particularly helpful. There is nothing specific I can put my finger on other than they didn’t go out of their way to assist and seemed a bit stroppy. The interior is tired although they are comfortable enough. When we returned to Edinburgh at the end of our Scotland trip, we stayed at the Premier Inn on Princes Street for about GBP 40 less than Hollyrood and while Premier Inn is no frills, I didn’t see much of a difference in service levels / room quality – in fact I’d say the Premier Inn was slightly better in comfort and definitely better in location. From my research, you could spend about GBP20 more and get a long more for your money – in some cases you may not even need to spend more and still get better quality accommodation. It would not be somewhere I would recommend to stay in Edinburgh given the plethora of choice available.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MacdonaldHolyrood, General Manager at Macdonald Holyrood Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear auscnd,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I was sorry to note that you did not enjoy your stay and that you found the staff and service disappointing. I can assure you that your experience is far from a typical visit to our hotel. Our focus as a team is always to exceed our customers’ expectations during all parts of our your visit. We have a strong focus on our core standards to ensure that they are consistent with the Macdonald Hotels and Resort brand.

We are about to undertake a refurbishment of the hotel over the next few months which will give the hotel a whole new look and feel.

I certainly appreciate your feedback and do hope that should you return to the city on a future trip that you will reconsider and come back and stay with us.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I went with my husband during his leave from the army, so wanted something special. This hotel was on the less expensive side of the Edinburgh hotels as it's further away from the main attractions (about 20 mins walk from the Castle or Princes Street) although close to Holyrood park and Arthur's seat.
Overall the whole stay was just a bit unimpressive. We arrived before check in and asked to leave our bags at reception, which was fine with reception. They also said they would put the bags in our room when it was ready, but when we checked in at 2pm the bags were at reception still. Not a problem, but they did say they'd be put in the room!
On arrival in the room we found the room to be large with a table amd two armchairs, but just a bit tired looking with quite an old fashioned bathroom. The shower head was cracked, the water went hot and cold unexpectedly, there was a shower gel and a 'conditioning shampoo' in the bathroom. Only one of each. No separate conditioner or skin cream for the price paid?! There was an empty water bottle on the table, which was damp inside, presumably this should have been refilled before we were given the room but a quick call sorted this out and a full bottle was provided. Now i don't have a problem drinking tap water, but what's the point of leaving an empty water bottle in the room?
The room was very warm even with the airconditionin on full at the lowest temperature and therefore kept is awake at night. It was 20 or so degrees outside, so not unseasonallt warm. Thw window did not open much and in any case the lorries that were presumablt making deliveries around 5am made us close it quite swiftly.
Breakfast was good in that there was a food spread of food and variety of hot breakfasts available to order also. However they were so busy ( they'd had groups earlier in the morning to we were advised it woud be busy early on, so we arrived later) that it took quite some time to be served tea and coffee and give our orders for cooked breakfasts. The toast was cold when it arrived also, but the bread was nice.
The gym and spa area was good, we used the gum but not the pool in the end, but it looked great. Opening times were good and the spa treatments on offer and the staff were great.
The reception staff were helpful and the door man excellent in providing directions to Waverley when we left.

Overall it wasn't bad, and it is certainly cheaper than hotels like the Caledonian or the Missoni. However, it just seemed like the kind of hotel that wants to be high end, but the quality and comfort of the stay is more akin to a Premier Inn, just 3 times the price. It's just not anything special, so i wouldn't recommend it for a nice break away, but it's fine.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking Arthur's seat and Holyrood park? They probably have traffic noise, but...
Dear MrsGirling,

I was extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment with the service you experienced during your recent stay at the Macdonald Holyrood Hotel.

I would like to assure you that your feedback is not at all reflective of our usual standards and service that we strive to deliver. I will certainly share your comments with the senior team here in order to take appropriate action.

I am sorry you felt that your bedroom was tired and dated. The hotel has been successfully operating for over 13 years now with no upgrade until now, however we ensure the hotel is kept clean to a very high standard, along with regular painting and upholstering.

We are about to undergo a full refurbishment of the ground floor lounge, bar, restaurant and 3 floors of bedrooms to which we are all very excited about , this will give the hotel a fresh new feel and look.

I do hope that with my reassurance, you will return to the Macdonald Holyrood. Do contact me directly when you are planning a visit to Edinburgh and I would be delighted to take care of the arrangements for you and welcome you back.

Warm regards